What's new

Logic7 applied to a 5.1 speaker setup? (1 Viewer)

Jason Price

Second Unit
I should be taking delivery of my new HK AVR8000 tomorrow, and I'm very excited for my new toy, especially Logic7 (which everyone raves about). Currently, I only have a 3.1 setup (ack), but will soon have 5.1. Not until I finish my basement will I have 7.1. :frowning:
So, the question is - how does Logic7 apply to a 5.1 setup (or even a 3.1, for that matter)? Will it still sound right without having all 7 speakers?

Will Gatlin Jr

Stunt Coordinator
Lexicon has a feature for 5 spks being enhanced into a 7 spk sound. I don't know if H/K has the same format.

RickBlacker

Stunt Coordinator
I was told that the Logic7 built into the H/K520 was designed by lexicon or had lexicon technologies.

StevenK

Second Unit
The 8000 applies L7 to 5.1 and 2-channel sources.

The 520 only to 2-channel sources.

The 8000 is one of the best bargains out there...all the features plus TRUE Logic7.

(No, I don't own one...I wish I did)

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
You won't hear any difference because I believe the receiver will detect that only 3 speakers are connected and may not allow you to select Logic 7. I believe that the only sound format you can probably select is 3 channel stereo, Vmax and Surrounds off. Now I'm not positive about it but I know with Kenwood receiver I use upstairs for the wife's stereo has only two speakers and you can only select stereo.

Paul Clarke

Supporting Actor
Actually, all sound modes will play. The unused signal from the surrounds should be rolled into the existing speakers or simply left out. The same as it is with DD or DTS. It still plays no matter the # of speakers.

For example, with only the front three I could select DD, DTS, 5/7 channel stereo, etc. And yes, Logic-7 applied over 5.1 can be done with 3.1. The same principle applies as with Logic-7 applied to 2 channel. As to whether it will sound right, of course it won't sound the same without the proper speakers for steering the effects...just different.

Steve K.H.

Supporting Actor
Congrats on the 8000... you are the envy of many.
First, don't read into the other offerings by H/K. The 8000 is the flagship. It decodes DTS and DD into Logic 7, like a Lexicon, but not completely like a Lexicon, and YES, it sounds great in a five speaker setup.
It is not however "True Logic 7" as suggested elsewhere. Of course if you want to spend 3 times as much as you have, you can get that feature on an MC-12 and and amp. I'll step up and say that unless you've got a whack of money that you need to spend, that's not necessary in that you have a very functional version of L7.
Others with 8000's will tell you they don't worry about DD, DD-EX, DTS, DTS-ES, whatsover, as they L7 decoding of these formats provides a superior listening experience.
The three point one setup will be very good. The 5.1 setup will be incredible. The 7.1 setup will blow you away. So, welcome to the money pit.:D

Gregory Scott Bass

Stunt Coordinator
Could you please clarify your statement that the 8000 does not have true logic 7 processing.....it seems to contradict everything I have read. thanks Scott

Steve K.H.

Supporting Actor
Like the $6000 Lexicon, it will take any 5 channel source and decode it to 7 channels.

The Lex allows much more "tweaking" such as individual settings per channel in bass management from 10dB and upwards (in 10 dB increments), and 0.5dB per channel increments in output.

So yes, it applies L7 to the source. No, it ain't a Lex. And yes, 8000 owners continue to say they simply decode any signal (analog, or a digital format) into L7, which basically means you don't need hunt down that "Special Edition DTS-ES" version of the DVD anymore, although I would think with a discrete 6th channel on the source, it would make for a better transfer to L7 (uneducated guess, as I own neither an 8000 - yet - or a Lex.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks