What's new

Logan's Run (1 Viewer)

Wayne Klein

Second Unit
I'm a happy camper that Brisco is finally coming to DVD but was wondering about another cult TV show--Logan's Run. The series ran briefly on CBS in the late 70's. While the quality of the series varied a bit a number of terrific writers either supplied stories or wrote episodes for the show (Harlan Ellison, David Gerrold, D. C. Fontana). With the acquistion of MGM's library by Sony and some of the recent changes in managements I'm wondering if this show is ever going to come to home video.

I'm afraid that MGM will wait to bring it out when Bryan Singer's projected "Logan's Run" remake hits the screen. Loved Donald Moffat on the show. Gregory Harrison and Heather Menzies both did a solid job as well.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I'd be interested in this too, although it didn't hold a candle to the movie from my recollection.

Wayne Klein

Second Unit
While the TV series suffered from schiziodphrenia during its first and only season (trying to be all things to all people, i.e., the network wanted the show one way, the producers and studio another and D.C. Fontana -to the best of my recollection was the story editor-wanted to make it a good science fiction show), the best episodes held up quite well despite the formula of TV shows at the time.
While I enjoy the film the film falls apart by the end of the third act and takes the liberty of making a major plot change in the third act that just doesn't work compared to the novel. For its flaws, the film is a fine film (and the sequence with Box superbly played by Roscoe Lee Brown is a highlight of the film), the series rethought the concept of the movie. The best episodes (including those by Ellison who wrote a treatment adapted by Al Hayes, Fontana the well respected author/screenwriter Shimon Wincelberg and Gerald) more than held their own despite diminished production values. By the way, I saw the vehicle that was used for this show along with the one for Fox's "Damnation Alley" sitting in a studio junkyard not far from Universal studios in the late 80's. I don't know if a private collector ever picked it up or not). A bit of trivia about Shimon Wincelberg--he did writing on the pilot for Irwin Allen's "Time Tunnel" but was never credited for it
I have to say that I loved Donald Moffat in the show. He's one of my favorite character actors and the android that he played seemed like a precursor to "Star Trek: The Next Generation's" Data (although that, in turn, was borrowed from Roddenberry's classic TV movie "The Questor Tapes" which also has yet to appear on DVD). I was quite pleased to see Moffat's career finally bloom after years of guest starring roles in TV shows and movies in the US).
If MGM/Sony ever decides to put it out on DVD, I'd love to see an interview with original novel authors William F. Nolan and George Clayton Johnson about their feelings in seeing the show adapted for TV. Producers-writers Ivan Goff, Ben Roberts and producer Leonard Katzman all died within the last decade so the only behind-the-scenes interviews/commentary tracks would have to come from the writer's, cast and/or directors. I doubt that MGM/Sony would put that much effort into it but it is a cult show and with the remake looming perhaps they'll push forward with it. Unfortunately Bryan Singer won't be shooting "Logan's Run" until this fall and I'm hoping that the studio doesn't sit on this that long. There were only 14 episodes produced and 3 of those supposedly never aired. My memory is too hazy to recall if they aired or not but I remember the pilot and "Crypt" quite well.
Regardless, "Logan's Run" was one of the best Sci-Fi shows during the 70's acing out much of the other shows that came to TV at that time.
Info about the series is at: http://www.snowcrest.net/fox/logantv/index.htm

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
I, too, have long wanted this on home video. I'm just so glad I was able to tape all the episodes off of their 1990 (or so) re-airings on TNT, which were, surprisingly, unedited. I can still make due with those for now (they're better than the multi-generation "off-CBS" dubs I had prior to that).
There were only 14 episodes produced and 3 of those supposedly never aired. My memory is too hazy to recall if they aired or not but I remember the pilot and "Crypt" quite well
The last three episodes did air (I remember "Night Visitors"), but from what I have read online at this fantastic fan site, those episodes did not air on most of the west coast. No official reason seems to be known.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
It seems unlikely that this show would surface on DVD until the Bryan Singer movie version comes out. With Superman Returns sure to raise Singer's already significant profile this year, and Logan said to be his next project, the owners of the TV show copyright would probably see their best chance of exposure for the show timed with the new movie.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Oh geez...Bryan Singer is filming a remake of Logan's Run? Moms---lock up your teenage sons!

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
I loved the movie but thought the series was just horrible. The potential it had. One I like more during the same time was Fantastic Journey. Anyone remember that?

Wayne Klein

Second Unit
I do remember "Fantastic Journey" (D. C. Fontana had a hand in that show as Story Editor). It's interesting how memory works...I tend to remember "Logan's Run" more fondly than "Fantastic Journey" which I felt wasn't quite as well written. Of course I haven't seen either one in a long time so I could be completely wrong. I did like the casting with Jared Martin and Roddy McDowell providing solid support.

Interestingly actor Carl Franklin later became an acclaimed film director with "One False Move" and "Devil With a Blue Dress".

Interestingly many of the same folks that worked on "Logan's Run" also worked on "Fantastic Journey" behind the scenes at least. The show did have a fascinating premise. It lasted only 10 episodes on NBC and really wasn't given much of a chance to find an audience. An ideal way to release these shows with a limited amount of episodes/seasons would be to put them together.

"Fantastic Sci-Fi Cancelled Before It's Time" boxed set.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Warner holds the rights to this show, not MGM, because all TV shows made by MGM before 1985 are part of the Warner library.

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
I remember this show and I have seen a couple of episodes in the early 90's. I'd buy this just because I remember it as a kid. Not a great show, but for a 12 year old it was great fun.

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
>>A bit of trivia about Shimon Wincelberg--he did writing on the pilot for Irwin Allen's "Time Tunnel" but was never credited for it...

--

actually on the TIME TUNNELs opening credits, Wincelberg is listed in both the Teleplay by and story by (along with Allen and others)

In fact it seems like he helped write all of ALLENS Pilots/first 1 or 2 episodes

of Voyage, Lost.in Space, Time Tunnel (not sure about Land of Giants)

which gave them a better quality than later down the road.

none of this is listed in IMDB

William Welch and Wiliam Reed Woodfield also did some good writing on all the series earlier episodes

Wayne Klein

Second Unit
Thanks for the correction. I don't know how I managed to miss Wincelberg's credit on Time Tunnel--obiviously I was in a time warp myself at the time! You're right, about him contributing to Allen scripts--he did some work on a couple of outstanding "Lost in Space" episodes. I haven't seen "Land of the Giants" in ages so can't say about that show.

With Warner holding the copyrights I have a bit of hope that a decent job will be done on the series when and if it is reissued on DVD.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
this was another good sci-fi show. I have not seen it on tv for over 20 yrs. I hope they released this on dvd.

sestamuch

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jonas
David Von Pein said:
Warner holds the rights to this show, not MGM, because all TV shows made by MGM before 1985 are part of the Warner library.
Hm interesting, I didn't know that.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Probably the same versions that Itunes has available. They look OK but they have not been remastered at all so they look a bit grungy. I bought a Panasonic 60bdk a few weeks ago, lets I'm hoping the promised Amazon VOD support comes at some point.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks