1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Logan's Run (1977-1978 series) coming to Blu-ray in October

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by MattHR, Sep 21, 2019.

Tags:
  1. MattHR

MattHR Screenwriter

They may have posted the news prematurely because I haven't seen it announced anyplace else, but MonstersInMotion.com says Logan's Run is coming to Blu-ray via Warner Archives on October 29, 2019 for only $29.99.

https://www.monstersinmotion.com/cart/bluray-item-list-l-c-1_456_492/logans-run-1977-the-complete-tv-series-bluray-p-27223.html

WA recently released 70's cult programs Man From Atlantis (pilot movie only...so far) on Blu-ray, and now Logan's Run, so I'd say the chances of Wonder Woman (both the Cathy Lee Crosby movie and Lynda Carter series) coming to Blu-ray have greatly increased — especially since the series has already been remastered in HD (but let's just hope they release the original 1.33:1 version and not the cropped 16:9 version that is available for streaming).

Blimpoy06 likes this.
  2. David Weicker

David Weicker Producer

David
    In the weekly TV Shows On DVD Facebook post, they list this title as a MOD DVD reissue of the 2012 set. They have a pointer to the DeepDiscount listing (also DVD MOD).

I don't know which is accurate, but no other sites are mentioning Blu-Ray, and WAC rarely has 'leaks' (they just announced their October Blu slate)

3. MattHR

MattHR Screenwriter

I thought it might be an error on the part of MiM. I emailed them to get clarification.

4. Scott511

Scott511 Second Unit

Scott
    I would love to have Logan's Run on blu ray, sadly it is probably a mistake on their part.

DC Universe has Wonder Woman in HD. I'm into the 3rd season, so far all the episodes have been in the correct aspect ratio except for the 2nd season opener The Return of Wonder Woman.

JohnHopper likes this.
  5. JohnHopper

JohnHopper Screenwriter

John Hopper
    If they go through the BD way, they are going to restore it because the previous DVD edition was not.

6. mmatitya

mmatitya Auditioning

Moshe Z. Matitya
    How would such a mistake happen? Clearly MiM believes that Warner Archives is offering a Blu-ray of the Logan's Run series; they must have seen this somewhere, no?

7. TJPC

TJPC Producer

Terry Carroll
    I wouldn’t get excited either way. Have you seen this series? It is one of the most laughably cheesy programs ever made. I am sure everyone involved leaves it off their resume. It makes “Lost In Space” look like “Game of Thrones”!

8. mmatitya

mmatitya Auditioning

Moshe Z. Matitya
    It was a pretty bad show, but I'd still rank it higher than "Lost in Space"...

AndyMcKinney likes this.
  9. mmatitya

mmatitya Auditioning

Moshe Z. Matitya
    The listing on MiM seems to be gone. Did they reply to you?

10. Message #10 of 53 Sep 23, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2019
    ScottRE

ScottRE Supporting Actor

Scott
    Going by interviews, Gregory Harrison was proud of it. Whatever that's worth.

I - LOVE - this series. I was a kid when it came out and we used to play "Logan's Run" in the playground. I have it on the bare bones DVDs, had it from iTunes and before then VHS tapes off TNT broadcasts. There were a few very strong episodes and some Star Trek writers were attached to it: D.C. Fontana, David Gerrold and Harlan Ellison for example. Fontana pretty much reworked Charlie X, but Gerrold did a really fine time travel story. A lot of the plots were retreads. That dusty old standby The Most Dangerous Game is trotted out - but to good effect.

What do you expect from a show produced by the man who ran Dallas a year later?

There were a ton of limitations. The show looked really cheap: I think they spent most of the budget on the little ground cars (even the main vehicle looked like cardboard). It's so weird that 1960's TV sci fi looked a lot more expensive than shows made 10 years later. They were trapped in the "Fugitive/Planet of the Apes" mixed format, with constant pursuit and meeting little pockets of civilization along the way. They also kept going back to the damned city, so they never really went very far.

Strengths: the music was mostly excellent (the FSM CD is a treasure), Donald Moffatt is fabulous as the pre-Data android Rem and Heather Menzies is a complete and total knockout. I preferred her over Jenny Agutter as a kid. The idea that Francis would want to sit on a counsel with a bunch of old dudes seems like poor motivation to hunt Logan, but the plan was for him to be swayed to Logan's side if the show had continued.

Is it cheesy? Good lord, yes! Is it fun? For me, absolutely. It's far from the cheesiest SF show ever made. It's an interesting look at what passed for network SF in the 70's just before Star Wars changed everything forever.

If it would actually happen, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

11. JohnHopper

JohnHopper Screenwriter

John Hopper
    I agree with you on the whole. I own the FSM soundtrack too.
    The good episodes were:
    "Man Out of Time"
    "Half Life"
    "Futurepast"
    "The Collectors"
    "Crypt"

Blimpoy06, Bryan^H and ScottRE like this.
  12. Bryan^H

Bryan^H Lead Actor

I watched the entire series, and some episodes are much better than others. It isn't nearly as good as Planet of the Apes series from 1974 which it plays out like!

As to your comment about "laughably cheesy", whatever. Seems like you are going out of your way to pick a fight on a dedicated thread about this series.

Gary OS and Blimpoy06 like this.
  13. TJPC

TJPC Producer

Terry Carroll
    Try not to be so sensitive please. I was expressing my opinion. I watched just about every Sci/Fi show produced for TV in the ‘60s and ‘70s and though some may like them, and I did at the time, I now find them all “laughably cheesy”. Among these are:

The Star Lost
    Space 1999
    Battlestar Galactica (The Original)
    Logan’s Run
    Planet of The Apes
    Lost in Space
    V
    The Martian Chronicles
    Alien Nation.

Except for the LIS, they were all failures after a season or 2.

14. ScottRE

ScottRE Supporting Actor

Scott
    The Star Lost - totally cheesy even as it aired...
    Space 1999 - second year is not setting as well with me in my current rewatch as I expected. The first year is still solid.
    Battlestar Galactica (The Original) - the single parters are pretty cringeworthy (other than one or two) but most of the 2 hour episodes are still powerful.
    Logan’s Run - already talked about it
    Planet of The Apes - really, I found it more bland than cheesy. It packed none of the power of any of the films. Good pilot episode though.
    Lost in Space - when it was great, it was insanely good. But even the first year has it's share of cheddar (Space Croppers anyone?).
    V - love this series, but time has not been kind, especially the last half of the run.
    The Martian Chronicles - I only liked the Rock Hudson/Nicholas Hammond episode, but even that looked cheap at the time.
    Alien Nation - wow, this was unexpected. This was a great series.

You left off Buck Rogers, Otherworld and Space Rangers. And Babylon 5 was swimming in cheese from its pilot episode. But man, was it gripping in the 2nd through 4th seasons.

I guess to difference is, I love cheese.

Jeff Flugel and Blimpoy06 like this.
  15. BobO'Link

BobO'Link Producer

Howie
    They were all cheesy - then and now. I did watch Space 1999 and Babylon 5 and enjoyed both immensely. The rest? Few made it past a half dozen episodes before I bailed. I only saw LIS in reruns, liked S1 mostly, and was in what-are-they-smoking mode for the rest of that one.

Most I've now purchased and watched fully on disc. They're still cheesy - but I now enjoy them for what they are/were.

Doug Wallen and Jeff Flugel like this.
  16. TJPC

TJPC Producer

Terry Carroll
    For some reason I don’t include Babylon 5, although there is something about the alien make up that I find unconvincing.

17. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell Played With Dinosaurs Member

Johnny Angell
    Logan’s Run has already been released on blu ray. Is it out of print?

18. ScottRE

ScottRE Supporting Actor

Scott
    The TV series hasn't, only DVD. Are you sure you're not thinking of the film?

19. MattHR

MattHR Screenwriter

I haven't received a reply, but I also noticed the listing has been removed, so it was likely an error by MiM.

20. Blimpoy06

Blimpoy06 Screenwriter

Darin
    Sci-fi and fantasy TV will almost always fail visually to what the writer intended. Time and money are just too limited to pull it off on a weekly basis. I still enjoy them for what they attempt to do. It's those high concept ideas that keep me interested in them. We all have different expectations and standards when it comes to our viewing habits. One man's trash is another man's treasure.

Logan's Run
    was on at a time when there weren't any successful fantasy shows on. Similar to The Planet Of The Apes, the network was spending too much money on it for anything other than a top ten hit. Sci-fi movies drew big numbers as movies of the week. The weekly TV series never did. I'm happy we have Logan on DVD. Like Shazam!, a blu-ray would be a welcomed miracle.

Jeff Flugel likes this.