What's new

Living room theater w/ corner TV: speaker placement? (1 Viewer)

Peter McM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
I have a rectangular living room with a fireplace at one end; the other end opens into the dining room / kitchen. My 32" TV is located in the corner to the left of the fireplace. The room's only seating, a sofa, occupies the opposite end of the living room facing straight toward the fireplace.
Question: Where should I place HT surround speakers for the most effective sound?
------------------
"For Montagar, forever!"

KenA

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ken Appell
Have you thought about in-ceiling speakers? Or perhaps suspending them from the ceiling?

Peter McM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
Ken:
No--I prefer to stick with conventional stands.
I'm referring to where to place the speakers in relation to the corner TV in order to achieve the most realistic sound effect.
------------------
"For Montagar, forever!"

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
For that configuration, and considering your TV is angled with respect to the couch, and also considering your speakers are direct radiating (assumption), then the speakers will probably be best located well behind the couch on each wall, aiming at a point a few feet in front of your couch.
Question.... When you are sitting in the main position, what angle is you head pointing at when looking at the TV? In other words, are you looking at 10 o'clock, 11 o'clock???
orangeman
------------------
Neil's H.T. Site
(plus large selection of H.T.Links and movie images)

Peter McM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
I would say pretty much 11 o'clock.
I suppose my main concern is the front speakers; that is, will having the left front channel sitting almost next to the TV while the right front is practically the room's width away have a detrimental effect on the surround sound experience?
------------------
"For Montagar, forever!"

Mac F

Agent
one precaution on this set up. About a year ago I was in a friend's home who had the tv in a front corner. The ceiling speakers were centered for the fireplace in the center of the front wall. This would probably work well for music while watching the fire.
For tv watching probably no one else noticed, but I felt disoriented with the sound separated from the tv.
For your planning, keep the speakers centered on the tv if at all possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks