What's new

Little known movies or cult movies I want on DVD (1 Viewer)

PODER

Supporting Actor
Real Name
PETER JABLONSKI
Add my vote for SOMETHING FOR EVERYONE. I also continue to hold out hope that
Noel Coward's THE SCOUNDREL will surface in decent shape one of these days. And finally, the Swinging London film JOANNA. Oh yes ... another one that's never been released in any watchable shape: Leni Riefenstahl's OLYMPIA, Parts One and Two.

davidHartzog

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John smith
Darker Than Amber, The Sweet Ride, The Hell With Heroes, P. J., The Lonliest Profession, That Man From Rio, A Talent for Loving.

John Hermes

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Hermes
1966 Universal Technicolor/Techniscope version of Beau Geste with Guy Stockwell, Doug McClure, Leslie Nielsen, and Telly Savalas. I saw this at the movies when I was fourteen and had three 16mm (and one 35mm) prints and of it over the years. A blu-ray would be too much to dream for, but I would like to see it on DVD at least.

davidHartzog

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John smith
Thanks, will check this out. I bought The Warlord as a Spanish dvd and it looked pretty good.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
Anthony Harvey's They Might Be Giants (1971) and Carol Reed's The Public Eye (1973) are vague memories of movies that I really enjoyed and saw repeatedly. It would be nice to get reacquainted with them again.

The remake of The Plainsman (1966) starring Don Murray, The Ride to Hangman's Tree (1967) starring Jack Lord and Journey to Shiloh (1968) starring James Caan were popular westerns in the 1960s. They used to air on television all the time, but I haven't seen them in ages. Since they are Universal films I probably never will.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
BalladOfGregorioCortez-1983.jpg

BloodAndRoses-1961-Paramount-one.jpg

LastSummer-1969-AlliedArtists-one.jpg

DiaryOfAMadHousewife-1970.jpg

WWandDixieDancekings-1975.jpg

SilentMadness-1984-one.jpg

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
I would love to see Delbert Mann's Gothic version of JANE EYRE (1970) rescued from public domain hell and restored in hi-def. This was the first version to be shot in color and on the locations where the story is set. It's photographed like a horror film, dark and moody. Beautifully composed and superbly acted, although you'd never know it by the horrid public domain transfers in circulation. It was released theatrically in Europe at 1.85 at 120 minutes, but aired full-screen at 108 minutes on the Hallmark Hall of Fame in the USA. Watching it was a class assignment in school. It is too succinct for some Bronte purists, but that's what I like about it. Although succinct, it brings to life all the important beats of the novel. Susannah York digs deep into Jane's psyche and comes up with an interpretation I haven't seen attempted in any other version. The way she and George C. Scott play off each other. They really mine the subtext. What do you think is going on in those scenes where she kneels before his chair in front of the fireplace, inviting intimacy but allowing only a pat?

JaneEyre-1971.jpg

JaneEyre-1970-foreign-medium-large.jpg

The soaring music score was an early masterwork and an instant classic by John Williams.

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
UNEARTHLY STRANGER (1963, no longer an A.I.P./MGM title)
7ycv.jpg

ZOO IN BUDAPEST (1933, Fox)
ud1b.jpg

DANGER ROUTE (1968, MGM)
2tou.jpg

THE SCARF (1951, MGM)
hmik.jpg

WOMAN OF STRAW (1964, MGM)
tvw9.jpg

THE REDHEAD AND THE COWBOY (1951, Paramount)
5sl1.jpg

AMONG THE LIVING (1941, Universal)
on7u.jpg

FRAULEIN DOKTOR (1968, Paramount)
uxfc.jpg

CANON CITY (1948, MGM)
bhto.jpg

Jobla

Supporting Actor
I want:ISLAND OF THE BLUE DOLPHINSWHERE THE LILIES BLOOMLIGHT FANTASTIC (1964)GIRLS TOWN (1959)RED SKY AT MORNINGADAM AT 6 A.M.THE INCIDENTDARK INTRUDERBLOOD AND ROSESTHIEF OF BAGHDAD (1961)

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Peter M Fitzgerald said:
WOMAN OF STRAW (1964, MGM)
tvw9.jpg
Does anyone know why Woman Of Straw has disappeared? I assume everyone agrees that with a cast like that, a good story and a good director, this film must still have some commercial appeal. As far as I can see, it has never been released on disc anywhere.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Here's one I remember going to as a kid, and I still have the movie tie-in paperback. As far as I know, it never surfaced in any home video format.

Attachments

• ShockTreatment64.jpg
    ShockTreatment64.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 58

Jobla

Supporting Actor
SHOCK TREATMENT airs on FMC occasionally, but always in full-frame. I keep hoping that Twilight Time might release it in widescreen.WOMAN OF STRAW airs on TCM once in a while.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks