What's new

Little DIY sub, some pics... (1 Viewer)

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
Thanks, James. I actually use the system to do all my cuts, as I have no room for a table saw in my basement. I'm probably going to copy Terry's design, which is like the one in the instructions. I saved the picture he posted, and I'll post it here (hope he doesn't mind).
panelsaw.jpg

I do find that it's very easy to induce a deflection, or unintentional mitre, to a cut if I'm not careful about where I put weight on the saw...do you guys find that? I know my blade is parallel, I've checked it a few times.
------------------
hlfmstflg2.gif

[Edited last by Jack Gilvey on September 18, 2001 at 01:33 PM]

TerryC

Stunt Coordinator
James and Jack,
I place that jig in my black and decker workmate. My cuts are pretty much perfect, the biggest issue I get is making sure they are square before the cut.

James Mudler

Stunt Coordinator
I can see! I am suffer from selective blindness......hearing too, if you ask my wife :) thanks
------------------
Luke, I'm your father

Jeffrey Noel

Screenwriter
Fantastic job Jack! That is one awesome looking sub!
I have a question for you, or anyone who feels like answering it.
I am going to do my first DIY sub, and just currently bought a 250w plate amp from partsexpress.com. I am thinking about getting the Adire Shiva, but after seeing your sub, do you know how they compare?
I want a small, sealed enclosure design like yours. What would you recommend?
Thanks in advance!
Once again, AWESOME!
God bless
patriot.gif

jeffrey noel
------------------
Go WILDCATS!

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
Hi Jeffrey, thanks :). I wanted to try a small sub, since I was without one at the moment, and I wanted to see what could be done in a really small box, so that's what I put together. Comparing the Dayton DVC with the Shiva (both of which I own)in a sealed box ,it looks like the Dayton needs a smaller box for a given Qtc, but the Shiva will go a bit deeper for the same Qtc (in a larger box). Either woofer has excellent excursion, power handling, and SPL capabilities.
If you wanted something very small, the DVC is excellent. If you can go to a net 2.2ft^3 or so, I might opt for the Shiva.
Either way, if you take a look at the specs on the woofers, you'll see they embarrass anything you can find in one of the mass-market palaces, and with a little planning, you'll have a very nice sub.
------------------
hlfmstflg2.gif

[Edited last by Jack Gilvey on October 02, 2001 at 08:26 AM]

Saurav

Senior HTF Member
Question for Patrick Sun:

having to solder those resistors to eliminate the bass boost (after reading about the amp catching fire scares me!)
Resurrecting an old thread... what's this about these amps catching fire? I just ordered one, a 300-792, and now I'm concerned. Could you please post a link to the discussion about these amps catching fire?

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Sorry, it's been too long for my sieve-like memory to provide a link (though I think I do remember someone's amp catching fire 6 months ago).

Hank Frankenberg

Senior HTF Member
Jack, good work, man! Painting is a big PIATA, isn't it? I hate painting for the reasons you pointed out, but you can do some wild finishes, as you've shown.

Saurav

Senior HTF Member
Hmm.... OK, that is certainly cause for concern. However, it looks like a lot of people recently ordered these amps from MCM, so I guess there isn't a general reliability problem with them. At least, not a well-known/perceived reliability problem.

Rudy H

Stunt Coordinator
I never heard of anyone's amp catching fire.... not saying it didn't happen though. Musta been pretty interesting to watch :D

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
I couldn't imagine why this thread was back up. I haven't had any problems with my Adire AVA250.
Thanks, Hank. That poor box is just sitting unused now...no driver, no amp. :frowning:
And yeah, i don't think I'll be painting another box soon, lotsa work.

Saurav

Senior HTF Member
It's back up because another thread had a link to this one, which I followed, and that bit about the amps catching fire caught my eye.

That green box is pretty.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks