What's new

Finally pics of my Tempest Sub (1 Viewer)

Jordan_Brulotte

Stunt Coordinator
EDIT. Sorry posted in the wrong are. Can a mod please move this to DIY for me? Thank you

(Admin note - Thread moved)

It's been 90% finished for quite some time now. I still need to complete a bunch of little things such as re sanding and mounting the face plate correctly (thats why its crooked). On some of the pics looking down onto the top the paint looks bad. It is not perfect but I assure you the flash makes it look 20x worse than it it. Here you go! tell me what you guys think.

Click me!

PS pics are ~150KB-200KB each

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Guess all the moderators are off for the weekend. :) I clicked the “Report this thread” icon and sent in a message; maybe someone will get it moved over to DIY where you’re sure to “get more respect.” :)

That said, it looks pretty interesting – can’t say I’ve ever seen anything trimmed in aluminum like that. Does it go with your décor?

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Jordan_Brulotte

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks first to whomever moved the thread into DIY... I goofed up :).

For my tastes it sound awesome! I still have yet to get it equalised wit ha BFD, and position it properly, but it still impresses me.

The thing that took me the longest on it was hand sanding out those 4" port flares. I used all the round center pieces of MDF, cut from the internal brace, and glued them together. I then drilled and sanded... took a long time,

Jordan_Brulotte

Stunt Coordinator
HAHAHA! Yes... but the lucky will woman picked based on her ability to love all things awesome. Huge subs included.

Jason Dalton

Stunt Coordinator
Very nice. I really dig the metal (aluminum?) trim. Did you weld the corners yourself? Just cool looking in general...and I'm sure it sounds great!

Jordan_Brulotte

Stunt Coordinator
The trim is aluminum, but is not welded at the corners. It is simply cut at 45s and then screwed to the surface. The messy looking section on the top front right is from the sticker tag on the trim. Need some nail polish remover to get rid of the "gunk"

stephanX

Stunt Coordinator
i saw this thing over at HTguide! i would have psoted how impressed i was, unfortunately i lack a membership. Question, how does the volume/lowpass work? do explain, im very interested...

Jordan_Brulotte

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the nice comments guys!

The volume/crossover is an expansion on the amp itself. The exact amp I used is HERE

It is only a 2nd order crossover, and does the trick, but I would like to see what changes a 4th order would have to the overall sound. With only the sub going, some higher end frequencies can be heard through it, such as partial vocals. A steeper crossover would clear this up, but it isn't really a problem.

The cable for the crossover wasn't long enough to go around the perimeter of the braces, so I cut it and re-wired in some extension cables. The remote control is a nice feature too, as the knobs are motorized. I then hand-filled an aluminum faceplate to cover the ugly plastic. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks