What's new

Lion's Gate reclaims video rights from Universal (1 Viewer)

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell
As per today's DVDFile update, Lion's Gate's video distribution license with Universal for 22 films has expired. The titles include American Psycho, Affliction, Buffalo 66, Gods and Monsters, Love and Death on Long Island, The Red Violin and Shadow of the Vampire. DVDFile expects Signature Series re-releases of some of these titles with new extras. Great! Just when I've already ordered the UK R2 American Psycho DVD for the deleted scenes...

Anyway, Lion's Gate has clearly become a much more successful operation than they were when they first entered into the video distribution deal with Universal, so that they've decided not to renew the license isn't that surprising. It's nice to see a smaller film production studio grow.

DJ

Doug D

Stunt Coordinator
Isn't LAST NIGHT one of those affected titles? Hopefully they'll put out a widescreen version so I can finally buy it.

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter
Let's pray that Vincent Gallo's commentary that got left off the original DVD of Buffalo 66 finally makes the re-release! From what I've heard, uh, 'candid' isn't quite the word to describe it.

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member
Isn't LAST NIGHT one of those affected titles? Hopefully they'll put out a widescreen version so I can finally buy it.
I really hope it is, I've avoided the crappy release so far and am dying for a nice anamorphic widescreen release.

A re-release of Affliction with an anamorphic transfer would be great too.

Michael Hall

Stunt Coordinator
I hope they put out a special edition of American Psycho.
Count me among those wishing for an SE as well. I've been reading a lot of Ellis lately, and it's made me want to go back and watch the film again, since I only saw it once in its initial release on DVD. I put off actually buying the disc since it didn't have a whole lot in the way of extras on it (and since I knew that another country got deleted scenes on theirs), so here's to hoping that it will get the SE treatment this time around.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I hope they do a better job than their releases in Canada, which have pretty much all been MAR'd.

Dean Kousoulas

Second Unit
I'll buy American Psycho SE in a second, as long as it's still unrated.

I've heard many good things about Last Night as well, but so far no luck finding it in stores to buy or rent. Maybe i'll just wait for an SE.

Dean

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks