What's new

Line doublers (1 Viewer)

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
I'm afraid you are out of luck unless that TV is High Def or High Def ready.

Normal television is called 480i - 480 lines interlaced. (all the odd rows of video are drawn 1/3/5/7.., then it goes back and fills in the even rows 2/4/6/...)

If you use a Progressive Scan DVD player, you can get 480p - 480 lines - Progressive (each row of video is drawn in natural 1/2/3 order).

A line-doubler (de-interlacer) can take a interlace signal and de-interlace it and try and fill out more lines to create:

520, 720, 1080 lines.

But you need a HDTV to be able to understand these new video formats.

hope this helps.

MichaelGomez

Stunt Coordinator
Darn, that is what I thought. I just bought a 32" Panasonic Tau. My wife wouldn't let me go the extra mile and get the HDTV. Of course I found a thread later that had a Hitatchi HD ready, for about what I paid for this one, on the internet. Of course with shipping it probably would've been too much. I guess it will have to wait a few years until I build a house and get the projector.

Mike

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
Did you get the 32SX31 Michael? If so, you are not completely out of luck. Since it has component video input you can use a progressive scan DVD player to get a line doubled image with DVD. Progressive scan players are now down to $200 or less. That is what I can recommend.

MichaelGomez

Stunt Coordinator
WHOA, stop the presses!!!
I did some research into this and everyone says that there is no way to hook up a p-scan DVD player to a non-HD ready TV.
One person said that you could but you have to turn the progressive scan off. I almost bought one thinking that I could hook it up to my component plugs on the TV.
Da:angry:
Someone clear this up once and for all!
Thanks and I hope that you are right. I really want the progressive scan.
Mike

Thomas_Berg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
component inputs dont mean it can accept progressive scan, but ps can only be transmitted thru component inputs on a TV. it doesnt work the other way around.
basically: PS only works on HD-ready or HDTV's. ONLY!!! if you turn on PS on a non-HD TV, you wont see anything. some higher-end TV's (that aren't HD) will have component inputs, but that DOES NOT mean they will accept a progressive signal. it just means you can connect an interlaced player and display the picture with better quality.
Michael- all progressive-scan DVD players will also output video in interlaced mode. there's usually a button on the front that turns PS on/off. a normal TV will accept the signal from a progressive scan player playing in interlaced mode.
hope that clears it all up! :)

Marc Rochkind

Second Unit
Here's another attempt to clear up the confusion. In the US, there are 4 principal resolutions that TVs accept: 480i, 480p, 720p, and 1080i. Accepting a particular resolution doesn't mean that the TV can display that resolution. For example, a TV might accept 720p but display it as 1080i.

Or, more interestingly, a TV might accept 480i and display it as 480p, which is called "line doubling."

A progressive-scan DVD player outputs 480p, and is useful only with TVs that can accept 480p, which includes all HDTVs.

A non-HD TV accepts and displays only 480i, and thus can do no line doubling and cannot accept the output of a progressive-scan DVD player when it is in progressive mode.

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
Sorry Michael, I thought I knew what I was talking about. I was speaking from the 10 years of experience I have with direct views (a 32" Toshiba and a 35" ProScan that have line doubling built in. Since line doubling has been around for so many years I wasn't aware that these days a progressive scan DVD player won't work with a TV that has component inputs but is not "HDTV Ready". I guess I also don't know that much about progressive scan players since my picture is already line doubled and I don't have component inputs.

Again, sorry to get your hopes up.

Artie

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks