Line doublers

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by MichaelGomez, Jan 31, 2002.

1. MichaelGomez

MichaelGomez Stunt Coordinator

I have a 32" direct view TV and I am curious if there is a way to hook up a line doubler. Will this increase the picture? How about DVD recreation? I know that they used to be used alot for projection before HDTV became available. Thanks.
    Mike
    Something like this:
    http://www.siliconimage.com/dvdo/iscanpro.asp

2. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

I'm afraid you are out of luck unless that TV is High Def or High Def ready.

Normal television is called 480i - 480 lines interlaced. (all the odd rows of video are drawn 1/3/5/7.., then it goes back and fills in the even rows 2/4/6/...)

If you use a Progressive Scan DVD player, you can get 480p - 480 lines - Progressive (each row of video is drawn in natural 1/2/3 order).

A line-doubler (de-interlacer) can take a interlace signal and de-interlace it and try and fill out more lines to create:

520, 720, 1080 lines.

But you need a HDTV to be able to understand these new video formats.

hope this helps.

3. MichaelGomez

Darn, that is what I thought. I just bought a 32" Panasonic Tau. My wife wouldn't let me go the extra mile and get the HDTV. Of course I found a thread later that had a Hitatchi HD ready, for about what I paid for this one, on the internet. Of course with shipping it probably would've been too much. I guess it will have to wait a few years until I build a house and get the projector.

Mike

4. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

Did you get the 32SX31 Michael? If so, you are not completely out of luck. Since it has component video input you can use a progressive scan DVD player to get a line doubled image with DVD. Progressive scan players are now down to $200 or less. That is what I can recommend.

5. MichaelGomez

WHOA, stop the presses!!!
    I did some research into this and everyone says that there is no way to hook up a p-scan DVD player to a non-HD ready TV.
    One person said that you could but you have to turn the progressive scan off. I almost bought one thinking that I could hook it up to my component plugs on the TV.
    Da[​IMG]
    Someone clear this up once and for all!
    Thanks and I hope that you are right. I really want the progressive scan.
    Mike

6. Thomas_Berg

Thomas_Berg Screenwriter

Thomas
    component inputs dont mean it can accept progressive scan, but ps can only be transmitted thru component inputs on a TV. it doesnt work the other way around.
    basically: PS only works on HD-ready or HDTV's. ONLY!!! if you turn on PS on a non-HD TV, you wont see anything. some higher-end TV's (that aren't HD) will have component inputs, but that DOES NOT mean they will accept a progressive signal. it just means you can connect an interlaced player and display the picture with better quality.
    Michael- all progressive-scan DVD players will also output video in interlaced mode. there's usually a button on the front that turns PS on/off. a normal TV will accept the signal from a progressive scan player playing in interlaced mode.
    hope that clears it all up! [​IMG]

7. Marc Rochkind

Marc Rochkind Second Unit

Here's another attempt to clear up the confusion. In the US, there are 4 principal resolutions that TVs accept: 480i, 480p, 720p, and 1080i. Accepting a particular resolution doesn't mean that the TV can display that resolution. For example, a TV might accept 720p but display it as 1080i.

Or, more interestingly, a TV might accept 480i and display it as 480p, which is called "line doubling."

A progressive-scan DVD player outputs 480p, and is useful only with TVs that can accept 480p, which includes all HDTVs.

A non-HD TV accepts and displays only 480i, and thus can do no line doubling and cannot accept the output of a progressive-scan DVD player when it is in progressive mode.

8. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

Sorry Michael, I thought I knew what I was talking about. I was speaking from the 10 years of experience I have with direct views (a 32" Toshiba and a 35" ProScan that have line doubling built in. Since line doubling has been around for so many years I wasn't aware that these days a progressive scan DVD player won't work with a TV that has component inputs but is not "HDTV Ready". I guess I also don't know that much about progressive scan players since my picture is already line doubled and I don't have component inputs.

Again, sorry to get your hopes up.

Artie