Like, I really hate the word "like", you know?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Vickie_M, Sep 16, 2002.

1. Vickie_M

Vickie_M Producer

I was just watching a series of short films on 9/11 that was broadcast by the Sundance Channel (called 9 Views: 9/11). In one segment, a film class in San Francisco talked about their feelings (this was on 9/18). One young man was very upset and very emotional, partially because he knew someone whose family was on the Pennsylvania plane. What he was feeling and saying would have been very moving, if not for the fact that every other word out of his mouth was "like" (paraphrasing: "I'm, like, feeling, like, very, like, vulnerable, and, like, I, like, am so, like, upset"). It was absolutely comical, and completely frustrating, because I could tell that his emotions were genuine and I probably would have been crying along with him, if I hadn't been laughing and cringing in embarrassment at the time.
    I'll bet one thing, that after seeing himself in this documentary, he'll never say "like" again!

2. Paul_D

Paul_D Cinematographer

I'm totally like, on the same page. [​IMG]
    I'm not sure its as prevalent in common usage here in England compared with the US, but it still grates whenever you hear it. Perhaps it'll die out with time?

3. Dennis Reno

Dennis Reno Supporting Actor

4. Andrew Chong

Andrew Chong Supporting Actor

I fully agree and have caught myself occasionally using this lazy speech habit though not to the extent depicted. Whenever I do, I make a conscious effort to remind myself that this is not an effective speech pattern and strive to stop doing that.

Another one is the use of "goes" in concert with "like" when "goes" is substituted for "said" or "says".

For example, "And then he goes, '.....', then she goes, '.....', then he goes, '.....', then she's like, '.....', and so on.

5. Vickie_M

Vickie_M Producer

6. Andrew_Sch

Andrew_Sch Cinematographer

A bunch of girls in my English class do this all the time. We get in front of the class in groups a lot to talk about stuff, and whenever a certain group of girls goes up, I entertain myself by counting how many times they use the word "like." The most I've gotten so far is 25 in less than 5 minutes.

7. KyleS

KyleS Screenwriter

I am with you guys these like what are they thinking? Its like totally uncool... Like ya man [​IMG]

8. Chris Derby

Chris Derby Second Unit

9. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

"It's like, you know."

"You know" is even worse because it means the person can't really communicate what they are trying to get across, and has to rely on the other person to fill in the blanks for them at the expense of better concise communication.

If a person can only talk in half-assed similes, how good is his/her thought processes to being with?

10. Todd H

Todd H Go Dawgs!

Todd
    Like, WHATEVER!!!

11. Dave Falasco

Dave Falasco Screenwriter

That's a good article, Chris--I read that a few days ago myself and thought of it when I read this post. I see that most of you are totally against using "like", and I agree that when used in droves it can be annoying. But it's handy when you are trying to convey that you are not 100% sure of what you are saying. Example: "I think it's scandalous that Sarah is dating the boss--she's, like, 20 years younger than him." There are other (and maybe better) ways to say that you are only estimating the age difference between them, but using "like" is quick, easy, and effective.
    Listening to someone overuse it, however, can be excruciating, I agree.

12. Zen Butler

Zen Butler Producer

Zen K. Butler
    These posts sound like one of my daughter's phone conversations. One line is sorely missing though.

"and I'm all.....and she's all.....and then he's all....."

13. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Its annoying, but really they cant help it.. its not like they WANT to say it that many times, they just talk that way. I got this one friend, she always uses like, but probably doesnt realize it. So dont get all P.O'd.. they dont realize they're doing it until they hear it for themselves.

14. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

Like, gag me with with a spoon.

Brent

15. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

16. James L White

James L White Supporting Actor

Um, like um, like um like what? [​IMG]
    Um is even worse

17. Henry Gale

Henry Gale Producer

Recently I heard a college student on an NPR call in program deliver this timeless phrase, "I'm like, an honors student, whatever."

Other irritating phrases I hear too often are ,”Know what I’m sayin’?” and , “OK?” used at the end of EVERY sentence.

18. Moe Maishlish

Moe Maishlish Supporting Actor

Try dealing with this kind of vocabulary while out on a date! I've been dating a lot lately, and, like, um... she's all, whateverrrrr... you know? OK? [​IMG] [​IMG]
    I'll admit to falling victim to using "like", "you know", and "whatever" on occasion, but I definately make it a habit to be conscious of when I use them.
    There's a certain sadness you feel when you're out on a date with someone you genuinely like, and they employ that kind of vocabulary. [​IMG]
    -*sigh*-
    Moe.

19. Rob Willey

Rob Willey Screenwriter

Rob

20. Scott McGillivray

Scott McGillivray Supporting Actor

I am really glad that I am not the only one who detests this low-grade style of English. I am by no means a linguist, but the acceptance of our youth speaking such utter rubbish is depressing. Slang is one thing, but the issues pointed out here are not slang so much as just total ignorance in how to speak properly and with some hint of intelligence.
    How can those of us who profess to be slightly more enlightened in the realm of public speaking politely bring up the subject of someone speaking in such an embarrassing manner? I will, without hesitation, point out such gross manners in those I know, such as family and friends. This is true not only of the frustrating patterns of speech already mentioned, but the use of words such as "irregardless" or starting a sentence off with "Yhea...no..."
    Again, does anyone have good suggestions on how one might enter into a discussion about another persons poor speaking habits?