What's new

Like, I really hate the word "like", you know? (1 Viewer)

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
I was just watching a series of short films on 9/11 that was broadcast by the Sundance Channel (called 9 Views: 9/11). In one segment, a film class in San Francisco talked about their feelings (this was on 9/18). One young man was very upset and very emotional, partially because he knew someone whose family was on the Pennsylvania plane. What he was feeling and saying would have been very moving, if not for the fact that every other word out of his mouth was "like" (paraphrasing: "I'm, like, feeling, like, very, like, vulnerable, and, like, I, like, am so, like, upset"). It was absolutely comical, and completely frustrating, because I could tell that his emotions were genuine and I probably would have been crying along with him, if I hadn't been laughing and cringing in embarrassment at the time.
I'll bet one thing, that after seeing himself in this documentary, he'll never say "like" again!

Paul_D

Senior HTF Member
I'm totally like, on the same page. ;)
I'm not sure its as prevalent in common usage here in England compared with the US, but it still grates whenever you hear it. Perhaps it'll die out with time?

Dennis Reno

Supporting Actor
Perhaps it'll die out with time?
I hope you are correct Paul, but I don't see it happening any time soon. My cousin, who is very intelligent and in college, does this as well. It drives my Aunt up a wall. "So, like, I said to Amber, like, "No WAY!" and, like, she said, like "Well yeah." :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:
My first marketing class in college was taught by a professor who was an arrogant ass. The first day of class he announces "No one in this class will get an 'A'." However, the one good thing he did was to film us as we would take turns acting as buyer/seller. Your classmates would also grade you and provide feedback. It made a huge difference to everyone in the class. Whether it was "uhhh", "like", "you know" or any other verbal pause, he pointed it out. He provided a running tally on how many times you had used a verbal pause and, towards the end of the class, it would have a negative impact on your grade.
Teachers in high school should, like, try something, like, similar.

Andrew Chong

Supporting Actor
I fully agree and have caught myself occasionally using this lazy speech habit though not to the extent depicted. Whenever I do, I make a conscious effort to remind myself that this is not an effective speech pattern and strive to stop doing that.

Another one is the use of "goes" in concert with "like" when "goes" is substituted for "said" or "says".

For example, "And then he goes, '.....', then she goes, '.....', then he goes, '.....', then she's like, '.....', and so on.

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
And then he goes
Oh yes. Another one that drives me crazy is "I mean..." (not used as "I wish to say") or its equivalent, "You know what I'm saying?"

The idea of filming/recording people with bad speech habits is a good one. I had a bad lisp when I was a kid (said "th" instead of "s") and I spent a few months in speech therapy. I had to read into a tape recorder. Ugh. It did help though. I also had a temporary "like" habit at one time, but I made my brain stop and substitute "as if" (as in "it's like/as if the clouds were sprinkled with orange kool-aid"), which made me think about saying it, which made me stop saying it.

Andrew_Sch

Senior HTF Member
A bunch of girls in my English class do this all the time. We get in front of the class in groups a lot to talk about stuff, and whenever a certain group of girls goes up, I entertain myself by counting how many times they use the word "like." The most I've gotten so far is 25 in less than 5 minutes.

KyleS

Screenwriter
I am with you guys these like what are they thinking? Its like totally uncool... Like ya man ;)
I entertain myself by counting how many times they use the word "like." The most I've gotten so far is 25 in less than 5 minutes
I do this all the time when listening to people do speeches or talk in front of people as to how many times they say ummm and.
KyleS

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
"It's like, you know."

"You know" is even worse because it means the person can't really communicate what they are trying to get across, and has to rely on the other person to fill in the blanks for them at the expense of better concise communication.

If a person can only talk in half-assed similes, how good is his/her thought processes to being with?

Dave Falasco

Screenwriter
That's a good article, Chris--I read that a few days ago myself and thought of it when I read this post. I see that most of you are totally against using "like", and I agree that when used in droves it can be annoying. But it's handy when you are trying to convey that you are not 100% sure of what you are saying. Example: "I think it's scandalous that Sarah is dating the boss--she's, like, 20 years younger than him." There are other (and maybe better) ways to say that you are only estimating the age difference between them, but using "like" is quick, easy, and effective.
Listening to someone overuse it, however, can be excruciating, I agree.

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
These posts sound like one of my daughter's phone conversations. One line is sorely missing though.

"and I'm all.....and she's all.....and then he's all....."

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Its annoying, but really they cant help it.. its not like they WANT to say it that many times, they just talk that way. I got this one friend, she always uses like, but probably doesnt realize it. So dont get all P.O'd.. they dont realize they're doing it until they hear it for themselves.

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
Recently I heard a college student on an NPR call in program deliver this timeless phrase, "I'm like, an honors student, whatever."

Other irritating phrases I hear too often are ,”Know what I’m sayin’?” and , “OK?” used at the end of EVERY sentence.

Moe Maishlish

Supporting Actor
Try dealing with this kind of vocabulary while out on a date! I've been dating a lot lately, and, like, um... she's all, whateverrrrr... you know? OK? :thumbsdown: :angry:
I'll admit to falling victim to using "like", "you know", and "whatever" on occasion, but I definately make it a habit to be conscious of when I use them.
There's a certain sadness you feel when you're out on a date with someone you genuinely like, and they employ that kind of vocabulary. :frowning:
-*sigh*-
Moe.

Scott McGillivray

Supporting Actor
I am really glad that I am not the only one who detests this low-grade style of English. I am by no means a linguist, but the acceptance of our youth speaking such utter rubbish is depressing. Slang is one thing, but the issues pointed out here are not slang so much as just total ignorance in how to speak properly and with some hint of intelligence.
How can those of us who profess to be slightly more enlightened in the realm of public speaking politely bring up the subject of someone speaking in such an embarrassing manner? I will, without hesitation, point out such gross manners in those I know, such as family and friends. This is true not only of the frustrating patterns of speech already mentioned, but the use of words such as "irregardless" or starting a sentence off with "Yhea...no..."
Again, does anyone have good suggestions on how one might enter into a discussion about another persons poor speaking habits?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks