HTF News Editor
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Real Name
Martin Dew
Martin Dew submitted a new blog post

LG to introduce expanded 8K TV lineup at CES
LG_NanoCell_TV-1024x768.jpg

Continue reading the Original Blog Post.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
While it is way to soon to be thinking about a new tv since my Sony OLED is only about 1 year old. I am keeping my eye on the technology and waiting for a reasonably priced 8K display at a 100" size. So which ever brand I happen to like at the time between Samsung, Sony and LG as there are two LG 4K displays in the house currently.

Mike Boone

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael
While it is way to soon to be thinking about a new tv since my Sony OLED is only about 1 year old. I am keeping my eye on the technology and waiting for a reasonably priced 8K display at a 100" size. So which ever brand I happen to like at the time between Samsung, Sony and LG as there are two LG 4K displays in the house currently.

I think RAH would verify that 8k TVs offer viewers no visible advantage in PQ (even for viewers with "fighter pilot" vision) over properly calibrated, top quality, 4k UHD TVs, that take full advantage of the excellent HDR capability, as well as the very wide color gamut, which the 4k UHD format is capable of presenting. And since research conducted by Sony itself, revealed that test subjects possessing 20/20 vision, needed to sit 4 feet, or CLOSER from 65 inch 4k UHD TVs, to be able to see the finest details that true 4k resolution material presents, with those people no longer seeing the tiniest details present in 4k videos, at distances further than 4 ft, then there's simply NO way that even 1% of people would tolerate sitting at the considerably CLOSER than 4 ft distance, from a 65" screen, that would be required to see ANY significant amount of improvement in detail that 8k video material could offer, compared to that provided by native 4k material.

And BTW, if people read the November 2019 edition of Consumer Reports, they can see that the testers for Consumers Union (who test & compare more TVs than anyone else does ) found the Samsung 65 inch 4k UHD TV model QN65Q90R rated slightly higher in performance than Samsung's 65 inch 8k TV model QN65Q900R, though the 8k model's suggested retail price of $4,500, was considerably more pricey than the 4k model's suggested retail of $2,800.

And the TV models in that issue of Consumer Reports which ranked above ALL others in picture performance, were the Sony and LG 4k UHD models which use OLED technology to earn their top ranking in picture performance, which should surprise no one who is familiar with the obvious video performance superiority that OLED tech offers over the soon to be obsolete non-OLED flat panels, which still use the poorer performing technology of LCD screens using LED back-lighting.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks