What's new

LG LHB 336 HTiB -- speaker wire question(s) (1 Viewer)

jayncal

Auditioning
Real Name
Jay
Hello all, My wife bought me the LG LHB 336 HTiB and I have a few questions- I am planning on running the speaker wire for the rear speakers under my carpet (Running the wire through the attic won't work because my living room has a vaulted ceiling). I was planning on using flat speaker wire so I the wire can't be felt through the carpet. What gauge wire should I use and what brand do you folks recommend ? My plan is to run the wire under the carpet across the room, then run it inside up the wall to where the speaker will be mounted. Do I need to choose a wire that has an "In-Wall" rating, since I will running it up the inside wall for about 6'? Will running the wire inside the wall near the house wiring cause interference ? Any input is greatly appreciated! -Jay

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
You're on a home theater site, so you're going to get the card core's that say go down to 12g. I think 16 is fine and if you feel the need go down to 14g. In-wall wire protects against the wire being a "conductor"; that is, fire quickly moves through normal wire like a fuse. The 6 feet centrally located wire isn't really a big deal, but I say safety first. Also, it may cause you grief if you ever have to file a fire insurance claim. I'm not crazy about under-carpet wire, even if it's flat. Any bump will cause spot wear. If you are running the wire in an area that gets traffic, I'd try my best to re-route the wire. Under the baseboard is much better. For not too much money an electrician can run it up a wall, under the ceiling, and down to where you want the speaker.

jayncal

Auditioning
Real Name
Jay
Al, Thanks a lot for your quick reply. I'll take your advice and see what I can do about getting it to the other side of the room without going under the carpet. thanks again, -Jay

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks