What's new

LG launches 2020 NANO Cell 4K and 8K TVs (1 Viewer)

Robert_Zohn

Value Electronics
Premium
Insider
Real Name
Robert Zohn
LG's 2020 LCD lineup offers two categories, with 4 NANO Cell series, NANO81, NANO85, NANO90 and NANO99 and the value prices LCD/LED TVs that do not sport the NANO Cell technology. For this thread we'll focus on the premium NANO Cell TVs.

NANO Cell TVs are Quantium Dot full array locally dimmed LCD/LED TVs. The flagship series is the 8K NANO99 that comes in 75" and 65" screen sizes. NANO90 is the high-end 4K models that are available in 86", 75", 65" and 55" class. The NANO85's are 75", 65", 55" and 49" and the NANO81 models are made is 49", 55" and 65".

LG stepped up the picture quality and overall performance of these beautiful new TVs with a very modern design and minimalist bezel. The flagship 8K NANO99 boasts LG's latest flagship video processor, a9 Gen 3 and all other 2020 NANO 4K TVs have LG's new a7 Gen 3 processor.

Don't expect to see all of these TV on other forums or website as I took HTF Moderator, DaveF's advice to start this thread with information I learned from LG training managers and my meetings with LG engineers.

80306160027dd2ab42fa49c1ebdea48b_yl34_usl0_vyjj.png

Here's the comparison chart that lists all of LG's NANO Cell TVs for the 2020 model year. Note that the NANO97 will not be available in the USA. All other information is accurate at the time of this post.

38088d546be390594ea7c2ee1ebabecb.png

I'll add more information and for now all questions and comments are welcome and encouraged on this thread.

Let the discussion begin.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
(Did a little cleanup of prior posts in OLED thread after this was made.)

I was planning on buying the Sony 950H on release. (Pandemic is probably pushing out my TV purchase, but that notwithstanding...)

I double-checked reviews on 2019 sets and realized that while Sony has a great LCD TV, LG seems to be considered the leader for UI and streaming features. And I've been really happy with my 49" bedroom LG set as an all-in-one system.

So I'm re-evaluating my buying plan. That's a long way around to asking if LG has 2020 LCD sets out, or coming out, their pricing, and any opinions on quality vs Sony.

Last edited:

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Great thanks! The Wirecutter's review from 2019 ranked Sony as best value and performance, and saying that LG's LCD performance was notably inferior. If LG's 2020 LCD is otherwise on par with Sony, LG's better smartTV features will probably push me over.

I've got an Nvidia Shield in my system, so AndroidTV isn't alien nor hard to use for me. But LG's webOS so far is really nice to use (once the overly complicated setup is done).

Robert_Zohn

Value Electronics
Premium
Insider
Real Name
Robert Zohn
For the 2019 model year, Sony TVs delivered a better overall picture quality over LG. For the 2020 TV LG has very nicely improved the image quality. Not sure if they caught up to Sony's performance, but both brands are now the best choices in the LCD market.

I agree that LG's webOS is the best user interface and best in performance and reliability.

Madtown36

Auditioning
Real Name
Joshua Richardson
Good evening, I am wondering if you have heard about how many local dimming zones this display has horizontally. I believe it only had 4 last year which was lackluster. I know that shouldn't be the only way to judge a panel though. I will say the Forbes article did paint a much nicer picture for this years model though.

Robert_Zohn

Value Electronics
Premium
Insider
Real Name
Robert Zohn
Hello Madtown36. Thanks for joining HTF and for contributiin to the discussion. Very good question.

I'd like to start by saying the amount of local dimming zones is one of the most important specification that will help determine how well the backlight system will perform, spicifically, in regard to hallowing around bright objects. However, two other variables also come into play with the backlight performance. Most importantly is how the TV controls the backlighting and the indivual LEDs within each zone. Another thing that we'll never know is how many LEDs are in each backlight zone so the denisity of the LEDs are important to the overall accuracy, peak and minimum luminance level as well as the display's ability to deliver a detailed and full dynamic tonal range.

LG will not comment on the amount of local dimming zones or amount of LEDs. We'll be testing and reporting on all of the ellements of this new TV.

Madtown36

Auditioning
Real Name
Joshua Richardson
Hello Madtown36. Thanks for joining HTF and for contributiin to the discussion. Very good question.

I'd like to start by saying the amount of local dimming zones is one of the most important specification that will help determine how well the backlight system will perform, spicifically, in regard to hallowing around bright objects. However, two other variables also come into play with the backlight performance. Most importantly is how the TV controls the backlighting and the indivual LEDs within each zone. Another thing that we'll never know is how many LEDs are in each backlight zone so the denisity of the LEDs are important to the overall accuracy, peak and minimum luminance level as well as the display's ability to deliver a detailed and full dynamic tonal range.

LG will not comment on the amount of local dimming zones or amount of LEDs. We'll be testing and reporting on all of the ellements of this new TV.

Okay, thanks for quick response. Do you guys usually get a test TV prior too launch? I am itching for a new display and it's between this 65" and Sony X900H 65" I wouldn't mind being a first adopter but not sure how fast tv's sale out when they first launch.

Robert_Zohn

Value Electronics
Premium
Insider
Real Name
Robert Zohn
Yes we are usually included in the very first allocaiton of new launch products. This year we got ony one LG CX for us to test and evalueate, but our large allocation has been unusualy delayed longer than expected.

Sony does include our company in the very first allocaitons.

It's a tough call between the Sony's 65" X900H and LG's 65" NANO90, but at this time it's easy to say Sony's X900H will deliver deeper blacks as they are using the VA LCD panels and LG uses IPS LCD panels. VA LCD displays deliver better blacks.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I read the initial hands-on article. Very encouraging for LG's 2020 models. And the 65" NANO90 is probably what I'd buy if I go LG. I'm looking forward to more reviews and comparison of the Sony H and LG NANO LCD lines to decide what to buy, hopefully this Spring or Summer.

Last edited:

Robert_Zohn

Value Electronics
Premium
Insider
Real Name
Robert Zohn
Welcome to HTF The FOMO, glad to see you here!

The only 8K TVs that will have VRR and Freesync are LG's 2020 77" and 88" ZX Series 8K OLED TVs.

For 2020 4K TVs, LG's NANO90 and NANO85 LCD/LED TVs and all of the new CX, GX, and WX OLED TVs have VRR and Freesync.

Madtown36

Auditioning
Real Name
Joshua Richardson
With the Nano 85, 65" out now I almost bit the bullet instead of waiting for the 90. I have only ever owned edge lit. Will I notice that much improvement on the 90 over the 85?

Robert_Zohn

Value Electronics
Premium
Insider
Real Name
Robert Zohn
Yes, LG's NANO90 delivers a significantly better image quality than the NANO85. If all goes as promised we'll be receiving LG's first allocation or 65" NANO90s the week of May 11th.

Another very good choice at the same price is Sony's 65" X900H, which is also a full array locally dimmed backlit TV. HDMI 2.1, and ATSC 3.0 Tuner and a VA panel.

Madtown36

Auditioning
Real Name
Joshua Richardson
Yes, LG's NANO90 delivers a significantly better image quality than the NANO85. If all goes as promised we'll be receiving LG's first allocation or 65" NANO90s the week of May 11th.

Another very good choice at the same price is Sony's 65" X900H, which is also a full array locally dimmed backlit TV. HDMI 2.1, and ATSC 3.0 Tuner and a VA panel.

When is the X900H suppose to be come out?

Robert_Zohn

Value Electronics
Premium
Insider
Real Name
Robert Zohn
Sony gave our company the first allocation that is scheduled to arrive the week of May 4th. So about 2 weeks. We'll have them in stock at 4 warehouses across America.

Robert_Zohn

Value Electronics
Premium
Insider
Real Name
Robert Zohn
@[B]tonefifth[/B], thanks for joining HTF and the very good question! Very nice to see this great forum growing it's membership with enthusiasts who add value to the discussions.

LG's completely redesigned the backlight drive and the new a7 Gen 3 video processor and power supply. LG's 2020 Pixel Compensation system is made up of a new LG Display LED Backlight scheme and how the a7 Gen 3 processor addresses and controls the LEDs so they are now able to lower the luminance of the local dimming zones and use the extra power to boost the specular highlights.

TheFOMO

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Quinn
Robert, can you confirm with LG whether any of the 2020 Nanocell TVs (both 8K and 4K models) support 4K@120Hz resolution next generation gaming? Their website materials imply NO, because only the OLED product pages mention 4K@120Hz gaming capability (see the * footnote in the gaming section) whereas in the Nanocell product pages this particular footnote is absent.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks