What's new

LG launches 2020 NANO Cell 4K and 8K TVs (1 Viewer)

Robert_Zohn

Value Electronics
Premium
Insider
Real Name
Robert Zohn
LG'S 8K NANO99 will support 4K 120p for PC gaming in the following ways:
  • TMDS (HDMI 2.0 way of sending data) at UHD 120p 4:2:0 8 bits per component, and for 10 bit w/4:4:4 color per component you can use the 4K 120Hz HDMI 2.1 method listed below.
  • FRL (HDMI 2.1 way of sending data) at UHD 120p 4:4:4 10 bits per component

Robert_Zohn

Value Electronics
Premium
Insider
Real Name
Robert Zohn
Any OLED TV would deliver the very best picture vs. any LCD/LED TV and it's not a small amount better and that's from any viewing angle. OLED's ability to deliver pure black with 8.3 million self illuminating pixels set it apart from all LCD/LED TVs. Think about OLED's exclusive ability to produce pure black with 1024 tiny steps of illumination until it reaches its peak brightness.

When viewed in low ambient light the best and most expensive LCD/LED TV may have a few hundred local dimming zones that can't render the finely detailed and accurate images that OLED TV's self illuminating 8.3 million local dimming zones deliver.

With all this said, OLED TVs are not for everyone and when viewed in high ambient light some LCD/LED TVs can produce a better picture than most OLED TVs do. Also OLED TVS are more expensive than LCD/LED TVs.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Any OLED TV would deliver the very best picture vs. any LCD/LED TV and it's not a small amount better and that's from any viewing angle. OLED's ability to deliver pure black with 8.3 million self illuminating pixels set it apart from all LCD/LED TVs. Think about OLED's exclusive ability to produce pure black with 1024 tiny steps of illumination until it reaches its peak brightness.

When viewed in low ambient light the best and most expensive LCD/LED TV may have a few hundred local dimming zones that can't render the finely detailed and accurate images that OLED TV's self illuminating 8.3 million local dimming zones deliver.

With all this said, OLED TVs are not for everyone and when viewed in high ambient light some LCD/LED TVs can produce a better picture than most OLED TVs do. Also OLED TVS are more expensive than LCD/LED TVs.
That’s just about the most succinct and direct answer I’ve received to a question. Thank you.

Yastus

Auditioning
Real Name
Christian
Hi all, I'm new on this forum. Was checking it out for a few weeks now, but wanted to post something so I registered.

Yesterday I saw this review come by (an addition after that 'first look' from before) for everybody that's interested:

I was interested in the new nano lines, but the blooming etc, from this review made me a bit disappointed again. The situation for me is that I currently own a LG OLED55CX(having owned the 55E6 since 2016 before; with burn-in, that's why I have the new line now), but we're moving to a bigger place at the end of this year and I would like to put this CX in the attic for a relaxing area. I wanted to maybe have a 75-77 inch screen in the living room and thought the NANO90 would be a contender as I'm a gamer and am always a bit worried about burn-in from OLED. However I always tend to be a bit disappointed from all the reviews about regular LCD's. I'm going to wait for the NANO97/NANO99 reviews to see if that's interesting, but I might just go for a 65GX or so and take the burn-in problems for granted.

Robert_Zohn

Value Electronics
Premium
Insider
Real Name
Robert Zohn
@Yastus, thanks for joining HTF and for your very good question to add to our discussion.

I like John Asher's follow-up review of LG's NANO90. He references the best out of the box picture mode to be Cinema Home and FILMMAKER and that Cinema Homes has the best backlight performance. I'll go further to say, which agrees with John Archer's review that this year's LG LCD/LED TVs are the every best we have seen and they perform significantly better in every picture attribute than previous years and the black level and local dimming is greatly improved.

Please read my post four up from this one to get an explanation on why no LCD/LED TV can eliminate blooming.

Most importantly, you have been spoiled (in a good way) by owning an OLED so no LCD TV would be a good choice for your use.

With all this said I have some very good news to report. Since 2017 forward LG has developed and integrated several features to reduce the possibility of burn-in.

Yastus

Auditioning
Real Name
Christian
@Yastus, thanks for joining HTF and for your very good question to add to our discussion.

I like John Asher's follow-up review of LG's NANO90. He references the best out of the box picture mode to be Cinema Home and FILMMAKER and that Cinema Homes has the best backlight performance. I'll go further to say, which agrees with John Archer's review that this year's LG LCD/LED TVs are the every best we have seen and they perform significantly better in every picture attribute than previous years and the black level and local dimming is greatly improved.

Please read my post four up from this one to get an explanation on why no LCD/LED TV can eliminate blooming.

Most importantly, you have been spoiled (in a good way) by owning an OLED so no LCD TV would be a good choice for your use.

With all this said I have some very good news to report. Since 2017 forward LG has developed and integrated several features to reduce the possibility of burn-in.

Thanks! Yes I'm a bit spoiled in that way and I'm aware of the shortcomings of LCD/LED, but I guess I was hoping for more local dimming zones etc, to make the problem less apparent. Well I guess i'm going with the GX in the new place ;)

Robert_Zohn

Value Electronics
Premium
Insider
Real Name
Robert Zohn
Love LG's GX Gallery series! Beautiful TV and exceptional form fit.

And you now know the best authorized LG dealer to do business with. :)

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Since 2017 forward LG has developed and integrated several features to reduce the possibility of burn-in.
I watch CNN which has a lot of static stuff on their screen. They would seem to be a prime cause for burn-in. Do you think improvements you mention will help?

Robert_Zohn

Value Electronics
Premium
Insider
Real Name
Robert Zohn
@Johnny Angell, yes, but it is still possible to burn-in a static image on a 2020 OLED TV.

If you watch the same content with the same static image for more than 2 hrs per day and watch it every day without changing the content you will likely burin in the static image. However if your viewing habits are like most folks and you watch any content with the same static image every day, but change the content for at least 1/2 of the amount of time you had the static image on the screen before power off the TV you will not likely have any burn-in.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JacksonOtis
Recent bookmarks