JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Hang in there, John. Same story here as we struggle to prepare for mass vaccinations.
Yeah, I managed to take Saturday all day to sit staring blankly at a TV with football on it, then back to work yesterday.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Well @JohnRice - is your week looking any better so far?
At the moment it's looking less hectic. Today is normally a day off for me and I only went in for 6 hours instead of the 10 I did last Wednesday. I think I get a full weekend this week as well, but that can change in an instant. I'm not actually complaining, because it's a very good thing and my work schedule is usually enviable. Just experiencing some growing pains suddenly after 21 years in business.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Will I manage to hook up the new amp today, before I collapse into my chair?

Only the shadow knows.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
At the moment it's looking less hectic. Today is normally a day off for me and I only went in for 6 hours instead of the 10 I did last Wednesday. I think I get a full weekend this week as well, but that can change in an instant. I'm not actually complaining, because it's a very good thing and my work schedule is usually enviable. Just experiencing some growing pains suddenly after 21 years in business.

Sounds like it may be time to name a #2 man.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
@John Dirk , back on the topic of Rap, along with stuff like Beethoven, I worship at the altar of Prog Rock and Prog Metal. As I said, some Prog Metal can have something of a Rap vibe to it. Not the same thing, but a certain similarity, though I tend to hear parallels that nobody else hears, so I could just be crazy. In particular, my favorite PM group Tool might have some stuff you'd find interesting. In Prog fashion, the songs get rather long, but I'm hoping you hear the similarity I hear.

Here's a favorite example.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
@John Dirk , back on the topic of Rap, along with stuff like Beethoven, I worship at the altar of Prog Rock and Prog Metal. As I said, some Prog Metal can have something of a Rap vibe to it. Not the same thing, but a certain similarity, though I tend to hear parallels that nobody else hears, so I could just be crazy. In particular, my favorite PM group Tool might have some stuff you'd find interesting. In Prog fashion, the songs get rather long, but I'm hoping you hear the similarity I hear.

Here's a favorite example.

Thanks @JohnRice - Would you consider submitting this track here? I'll respond and add the below comments.

What I like about this song.
  • The percussion. I was a drummer [and oboist] in High School so I loves me some percussion. Kudos to that drummer!!!
  • The tempo changes. It's creative and interesting. Few songs I've heard do it to this extreme.
  • The musical complexity. As a musician I appreciate all of the various intricacies contained here.
What I like less. :)

• The lack of a coherent theme. It almost sounds like a jam session.
  • Yes, it's on the loooong side but I did listen to the entire song.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
What I like less. :)

• The lack of a coherent theme. It almost sounds like a jam session.
Something fundamental about Progressive rock. The "songs" really are more like 3-4 songs woven together into a medley. They progress through multiple themes rather than staying in the same theme for the duration. That's actually what I like most about them. Though often they will return to a variation of the opening theme at the end.

And yes, Tool (and Dream Theater) has some of the most complex rhythms you'll ever hear. They actually have gotten far more complex than they do here. The tempo can at times be almost impossible to follow, but it is there.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
For some really outrageous rhythms, check this out. It's fairly straightforward for the first 4-5 minutes, but then it goes bonkers. And, how often do you hear throat singing?

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
For some really outrageous rhythms, check this out. It's fairly straightforward for the first 4-5 minutes, but then it goes bonkers. And, how often do you hear throat singing?

This will be on my listening list for tomorrow evening. Of course, this is the Amplifier thread, so...

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
Yeah, I’ll be over there...
Speaking of amplifiers - my latest addition to the zoo:

It's technically being used as more of a streaming device, but the built in amp counts right?

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
Speaking of amps, I think I just realized tonight I have so embraced separates that I use them in all 4 systems at home. I now have five amplifiers in my house, four of which are class D.

Two multichannel D-Sonic units in the theater, a stereo D-Sonic M3a-3000S in the office, an Anthem MCA225 in the living room, and a DIY Ghent audio icepower amp in the den/shared office.

Really the most amazing part is my wife hasn't kicked me out yet!

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Don't think we've talked about this much, but what kind of current draw should our circuits be able to handle for these more powerful amps?

Are 15-amp circuits really enough for say the Emotiva XPA-DR2 (for my difficult Thiel CS5i's) and XPA-5 Gen 3 (for less difficult rest of the center and surrounds)? Seems like probably close enough since they're respectively rated for max 1700W and 2KW consumption at full power according to Emotiva's specs, but would probably need dedicated circuits -- and maybe another for a pair of subwoofers, eg. my Hsu VTF-3 MK5 is spec-ed to require 720W.

I do wonder about the XPA-DR2 though since it can (temporarily) push 2KW peak w/ <1% THD (at 2 ohms) according to this review's lab tests w/ max current of ~32A(?!?) -- hmmm, at first I thought that's max current draw from power circuit, but it's probably actually just the output current...

Also wondering about the D-Sonic M3a-3000S, if I end up going w/ that over the XPA-DR2, especially since it can provide roughly 2.5x as much power as latter -- D-Sonic doesn't seem to provide basic info on power consumption (though there's lots of detailed info on output capabilities)...

I guess the other related issue is what about the surge protection? Had only been using fairly basic (though not super-cheap) surge protectors in the past... :P

_Man_

Last edited:

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
My message for the day.

Cat-Mug_crop.jpg

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Don't think we've talked about this much, but what kind of current draw should our circuits be able to handle for these more powerful amps?

Are 15-amp circuits really enough for say the Emotiva XPA-DR2 (for my difficult Thiel CS5i's) and XPA-5 Gen 3 (for less difficult rest of the center and surrounds)? Seems like probably close enough since they're respectively rated for max 1700W and 2KW consumption at full power according to Emotiva's specs, but would probably need dedicated circuits -- and maybe another for a pair of subwoofers, eg. my Hsu VTF-3 MK5 is spec-ed to require 720W.
I completely forgot about that question. My understanding is that electrical circuits can (usually) carry a lot more than 15 amps (or whatever they're rated for) for short periods of time. Amplifiers typically only draw those massive amounts of power for fractions of a second. Now, there can be fire hazards, but essentially if your breaker isn't tripping, you should be good.

My HT room has two circuits in it, and I make a point of spreading the power draw between those two circuits. Of course, going from Class A/B to mostly Class H amps, at least on the channels with the most power draw, plus trading my plasma for a QLED (a constant drop of 500 watts demand!) has actually reduced the draw of the system while increasing its potential output.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
My understanding is that electrical circuits can (usually) carry a lot more than 15 amps (or whatever they're rated for) for short periods of time. Amplifiers typically only draw those massive amounts of power for fractions of a second.
I'm certainly no expert on the subject but isn't this what storage capacitors are for? Only a continuous draw should pose any risks of overload.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I'm certainly no expert on the subject but isn't this what storage capacitors are for? Only a continuous draw should pose any risks of overload.
The modern designs (D and H) have a lot fewer capacitors, if any. Capacitors mean inefficiency, heat and power loss. I have to admit, I only have a conceptual understanding of that part of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks