What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Let’s have a Mayberry Blu Ray pack. (1 Viewer)

cpalmer2k

Agent
Real Name
Chad
I would love to see something like this as well, but like everyone else I see it as very, very unlikely. I will never say never though. I never would have expected an "I Dream of Jeannie" Blu-Ray set but it's coming.

The post above me highlighted another major problem TAGS would have. There are those who would only buy the Barney Fife years of TAGS vs. the entire series. That would hurt potential Blu-Ray sales too. There ARE at least some alternatives though. All episodes of The Andy Griffith Show are available from Amazon in HD and the quality is really nice. There are two episodes with minor music edits, but the rest are virtually intact as far as I can tell.

Gomer Pyle's DVDs are good quality, minus the music edits.

Mayberry R.F.D is the one I would really like to see be treated better. I was hopeful several years ago when they re-released the Season 1 set as a MOD release that they would follow through with the other two seasons but they never have.

It's taken years, but I've put together a pretty nice compiled set of Mayberry R.F.D myself. A few years ago when Decades ran their RFD "Weekend" Binge I was able to get someone to capture the entire run for me directly off the satellite stream being fed to the TV stations that aired Decades. I went back and edited the commercials out of every episode. Sadly, these are all edited to 23 minutes which means 2+ minutes of footage are missing from them all. The quality is pretty much as good as you can get though until WB releases the real thing. It blows the water out of the old TV Land & MeTV home made sets circulating in trading circles.

When the Time Life "Mayberry" collection came out several of the Season 2 & 3 episodes were included uncut too, which was a nice upgrade. I know back in the 90's TNT aired the series mostly uncut. If I could ever cross paths with someone who recorded the series on VHS back then it would be simple to locate the "missing" scenes from the TNT airings and merge them with the Decades versions I have.

chrislong2

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris
I agree about Mayberry RFD needing to finish coming out on even DVD, but as for Andy Griffith on blu, I think if Paramount gets their act together and realizes they royally screwed up before in trying to charge like $100 for only one season when the entire show could be had for that on DVD then it is still possible to see a complete series blu release. As for those that only care about S1-5 (B/W Barney years), I'll bet if a full S1-8 release was done at a reasonable price point that those that really love only S1-5 would still get it if they really cared about Griffith on blu. I definitely don't think they should ONLY release S1-5. The entire 8 seasons should be done as a complete set and be done with it. If shows like The Rockford Files and Airwolf and I Dream of Jeannie can come out in complete sets on Blu-ray, then the iconic Andy Griffith and I Love Lucy certainly should be. It's incomprehensible that we're in 2021 and this still hasn't happened. If it's a major cost issue, they don't even have to do any more extras as one of the posters above said since those are on DVD, but at least get the episodes released in HD on blu. And no, buying digital on Amazon is not a reasonable substitute for many of us.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
The post above me highlighted another major problem TAGS would have. There are those who would only buy the Barney Fife years of TAGS vs. the entire series.

Just like those who'll buy only the first 19 Amanda Blake years of Gunsmoke (and not the final one without her), or the four Michael Douglas seasons of The Streets of San Francisco (and not the fifth and final season w/Richard Hatch).

sjbradford

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
sjbradford
There doesn't seem to be a dedicated thread to the Andy Griffith Show as far as I can see so I'm adding this here.
It was posted a few days short of 2 months ago on YouTube. 'Behind the Scenes of Andy Griffith Show'
As the poster Sam Davis comments, (AMAZING!)

Sweet video. Thanks for posting. The scenes at beginning seem to be from when they refilmed for “fishin hole” intro for the color seasons. But the later scenes are from earlier in the series, when Don Knotts and Jim Nabors were still in the cast. Ron’s father and brother are both on set, and Ron seems to be the star of this home movie (I wonder if his mom took it). Jim Nabors is goofing around with Ron at one point.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Sweet video. Thanks for posting. The scenes at beginning seem to be from when they refilmed for “fishin hole” intro for the color seasons. But the later scenes are from earlier in the series, when Don Knotts and Jim Nabors were still in the cast. Ron’s father and brother are both on set, and Ron seems to be the star of this home movie (I wonder if his mom took it). Jim Nabors is goofing around with Ron at one point.
It says "Courtesy of The Howard Family" at the end so you're probably right.

ponset

Screenwriter
Real Name
scott
Sad to see Arlene Golonka has passed away. :(

Arlene-Golonka.jpg

mayberryRFD.jpg

Charles 22

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Roy
TAGS S1 did not sell well on BR. Mostly, like the ILL BRs, due to it being overpriced upon release. While the current MSRP is listed as $49.95 it regularly sold in the $60-$70 range in the first 6 months of release. It slowly dropped to the $15 range *2 years* after its release and then went back up to the $30 range for almost another year before dropping to the ~$10-$15 range it sells for these days. Even with that low price it's currently ranked at #17,274 in Movies & TV on Amazon. And it's been 7 years since that first season was released on BR. With the sales history it's highly unlikely CBS will ever release further seasons on physical media. I'd guess they've prepped the series for HD but feel it's likely to see only streaming for the HD version.

Gomer Pyle, U.S.M.C. would likely see similar sales numbers, even if it got a more reasonable price (~$25/season). The cuts it received on the DVDs were mostly due to music rights. Those tend to be expensive and drive up costs which would make a "reasonable" price for a re-release unlikely. Right now, the "Complete Series" on DVD is #2,400 in Movies & TV on Amazon. And that's for *all 5 seasons* selling in the $35 range. Those numbers don't bode well for restoration (that's needed), much less a BR release.

Mayberry R.F.D. appears to be struggling with just a DVD release of S1 (#54,929 in Movies & TV on Amazon) so it coming to BR is even more unlikely than the first two series, though Warner is more likely than CBS to actually do such a release. In spite of that, with the recent changes at the Warner Archives I'd guess a BR release is more unlikely than ever with the last 2 seasons on DVD being somewhat iffy.

That said, CBS *is* amenable to licensing out some product so it *could* happen that they'd license TAGS and/or Gomer Pyle, U.S.M.C. to someone like Mill Creek. Unlikely... but possible.
Gomer Pyle is in HD on METV. I cannot say I've checked the black and white episodes, but the last two seasons are in HD. It looks great.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
With a tentative date of 12/7/21...

Andy is complete on Blu for less than 80 bucks.

I believe that's cheaper than the old CBS/P sold season 1 solo for.

Charles 22

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Roy

Heck of a deal, assuming it stays out there for that price and new very long. Yes, eight seasons for $10 apiece, that's very hard to beat even for a dvd deal. That site has it already down to $75.07.

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel

Nice find, Robert! I'm surprised this announcement hasn't gotten more attention among classic TV lovers here.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
That's a pleasant surprise. Looking forward to upgrading.

I know it won't involve the TLC that went into the earlier Blu-Ray releases, but I hope I Love Lucy enjoys a similar release using their older HD transfers for season 3 onward. Some extra attention such as to the Lucy Desi Comedy Hour episodes would be welcomed, but probably wishful thinking.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
That's a pleasant surprise. Looking forward to upgrading.

I know it won't involve the TLC that went into the earlier Blu-Ray releases, but I hope I Love Lucy enjoys a similar release using their older HD transfers for season 3 onward. Some extra attention such as to the Lucy Desi Comedy Hour episodes would be welcomed, but probably wishful thinking.

If that happens on Lucy, that will indeed be unprecedented (being as we thought, prior to this, that what we got on Blu [both for this and for Andy Griffith] was all she wrote, and that we would be in a permanent dry spell).

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
If that happens on Lucy, that will indeed be unprecedented (being as we thought, prior to this, that what we got on Blu [both for this and for Andy Griffith] was all she wrote, and that we would be in a permanent dry spell).
Awesome !!!!

rmw650

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Richard W
I certainly hope for BOTH Mayberry RFD and the remainder seasons of I Love Lucy to be released on the Blu-Ray format, especially the Luci-Desi Comedy Hour uncut and unedited with the added bonus extra of the Milton Berle Show where Lucy and Desi appeared on that one in Las Vegas. It's on Tubi as we speak, so check it out.

ponset

Screenwriter
Real Name
scott
I wonder if the company was motivated by the recent death of Betty Lynn?
Probably not but I like to think so.

BettyDon.jpg

donbetty.jpg

Charles 22

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Roy
I wonder if the company was motivated by the recent death of Betty Lynn?
Probably not but I like to think so.

View attachment 117989

View attachment 117990
Look at the drapes on the last shot. They look like they were dragged off the original set after being boxed up in an attic that long. Man, talk about a rustic look.

I always had a hard time trying to decide the Ginger/Mary Ann argument regarding Thelma Lou and Helen. Helen was more a calculating bitch, but Thelma was more the super emotional type. Also, I never was crazy about either of them, but I give the nod to Thelma, but in the last season, Helen upped her game with a different do, and I think that got her even in the looks department with Thelma. I'm actually a bit disappointed to see Thelma was red-headed. Sometimes coming out from b/w it's maybe better you didn't see their true hair color. Of course, had the series ran color throughout, it probably wouldn't had bothered me. I just always pictured her as dark brown or black (and red can be dark brown).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.