What's new

Leolo DVD Canada (1 Viewer)

Prentice Cotham

Supporting Actor
Apparently one of my favorite foreign language films has been released to DVD in Canada. Could someone tell me if it is anamorphic and has english subs? I can't find the information anywhere. Thanks!

Bill McA

Senior HTF Member
I live in Canada and have been unable to find a single B&M that stocks this title (I've been looking for 2 weeks!)
I've also been unable to locate a copy of the Canadian DVDs of Lars von Trier's The Kingdom and Michael Haneke's The Piano Teacher.
Sadly, this is the normal state of affairs for Canadian discs in Canada (unless they are the $9.99 variety).
Leolo....fantastic film! :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member
Bill,
HMV on Yonge Street in Toronto has The Piano Teacher in stock. I saw it there yesterday for roughly $29 (if memory serves).
They have a section with a decent collection of foreign, Criterions and import DVDs.
The Kingdom may also be in this section.

Lance Nichols

Supporting Actor
I also saw The Piano Teacher at DVD Wave, which is where I got my copy, for CAD$ 23.49. These guys are one of the best B&M's I have encountered, good selection, good pricing (not always the best, but with in a 1-2 dollars). Will bring in rare stuff (if you ask nicely), and keep popular Criterion in stock, although they don't have Criterions on day of release. :frowning:
EDIT, just checked, DVD Wave has The Kingdom in stock. Sorry, did not ask the price.

Prentice Cotham

Supporting Actor
I contacted one Canandian retailer that has Leolo listed on its site. They didn't have the DVD yet to tell me if it is anamorphic w/ English subs. Still hoping someone out there can get a hold of this one.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I've seen Leolo at Future Shop. Their website lists it with having French surround with english subtitles. It says its in widescreen, but does not list it as Anamorphic, which leads me to believe that it isn't.

I bought Léolo from www.dvdsoon.com
It's not anamorphic and to be honest it's not a very good DVD. Lots of grain, some print damage -so, overall rather poor. I suppose it's worth it for big fans (not me) as the film is the best it's ever looked. It does have English subs which are removable but rather shabbily the French titles throughout the film (eg places names) are burned on the film meaning the English titles compete for view.
It does have one of those Alliance Atlantis dual French/English covers but I don't see that as a problem as it's a French language film (not that it bothers me anyhow).
Incidentally, for those that can play Region 2 PAL DVDs the best version of The Piano Teacher with English subtitles is from the UK. An excellent disc.

Charles Ms

Stunt Coordinator
The backcover of the DVD even claims a 2.0 stereo English Dub Version. Can anyone comment on its existence ?

Also the AR of 1,85:1 used on the disc is the wrong one, the OAR would be 1,66:1. Do they want to hide some toilet seats from us ? ;-)

Are there any rumours on an american DVD version from Universal ?

This movie certainly deserves a very good transfer (so many wonderful images) and a quality audio mix. (or is it: You can't always get what you want ?)

Darko

Stunt Coordinator
I picked up Leolo at FutureShop(27.99 or close to it), it's non anamorphic. They also had the Canadian version of the La Pianiste (Piano Teacher) for 12.99 I think.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks