What's new

LEGEND DVD discussion thread (for ALL comments on packaging, transfer, film, etc.) (1 Viewer)

Jonathan Dagmar

Supporting Actor
Am I breaking ediquette by posting this? Hope not.

I was born not much more than a year before the original release of Legend, and though early on in my childhood I was introduced to the likes of Star Wars, Indiana Jones and Labrynth on Video, this is one film that I had never seen until the release of the DVD. In fact when I saw it on the shelf I wasn't exactly sure what it was, except that I could vaguely recall that someone told me it was a great movie. Since I am a sucker for any DVD that comes in a fancy package, I picked this one up blind.

Speaking of that fancy packaging, it seems a lot of people don't like it much. While I think it looks pretty cool, I have to admit it's not my favourite design from a funtional standpoint. I haven't had any problems with the insert falling out, it would have been pretty trivial to include a pocket for it. Similarly, a couple of bits of velcro would have solved the non-closing flap issue. When all is said and done, the packaging isn't what counts, it's what's inside.

Including in this release is both the original North American theatrical release, which runs 90 minutes and features a score by Tangerine Dream, as well as the Director's cut which runs 114 minutes and features the original Jerry Goldsmith score. This movie had more than a little trouble along the way, not the least of which was the entire soundstage burning down before shooting was complete. Add to that the studio imposed cuts, studio imposed soundtrack change, and the fact that the film was delayed several times before bombing at the box office, it seems a miracle that this movie was not long forgotten. Luckily this film built of a huge cult following over the years, and as a result we have a very well produced DVD to enjoy.

For the purposes of this review I chose to watch the director's cut, and sample the theatrical cut for the purposes of comparing the scores only. Further comparisons between the two will be absent from this review, and the director's cut will be judged as if it was the only version of the film.

First the good. Legend is a beautiful film. The set design is incredible, the forest it an easy techincal match for The Two Towers Fangorn. Considering that this movie was made in the early 80s, that is really saying something. The same can be said for the makeup, which is nothing short of amazing. The cinematography is beautiful, and is very successful in making and artificial world that exists only on a soundstage look real and magical. Unfortunately that is about all that is good about this movie.

The movies story feels as through it has been ripped out of a video game. So the villian, Darkness (Tim Curry), wants to kill the Unicorn which will plunge the world into an everlasting winter, and put and end to daylight. You see, sunlight is death for him. That's all well and good except for the gaping plot holes that are left unanswered. Where did Darkness come from? Has he been living in that evil looking giant tree all along? If so, why the sudden need to get rid of the daylight? Was it not causing him problems before? Is it because of daylight savings time? Lack of motivation for the characters is pretty much universal in this film. The hero, Jack (Tom Cruise), loves the Princess Lili (Mia Sara) for some reason, even though she completely ignores his warnings about approaching the unicorns, and gernerally comes across as a whiny brat the rest of the time. Jacks sidekicks, Gump, Brown Top and Screwball (who though up these ridiculous names?) just show up for no apparent reason. A fairy sprite, Una, is apprently in love with Jack, but is completely unconvicing as we are given no backstory, or any kind of reason at all for this to be the case. We are just supposed to accept it. Things aren't any better for the evil Golbins that work for Darkness, for er, some reason.

On the same note, the movie wastes one of it's best characters, Meg Mucklebones, who is killed off withing five minutes of her appearance. This character would have been far more interesting had she, for instance, persued the heros to Darkness lair, making trouble for them along the way. Alas there was no time for that as the heros reach the lair almost instantly. In fact the events whole movie seem to happen almost withing hours. That's right, Darkness decided to end daylight, sends a group of Goblins to kill a Unicorn, plunges the world into an ice age, and is then hunted down and killed, all on the same afternoon. Ugh.

I don't think the casting is bad, unfortunately the are given such banal, George Lucas worthy, dialog that they come off as wooden and dull in every scene. Even Tim Curry in his mountains of makeup becomes laughable because of the cheeseball dialog.

And the final, and perhaps most serious problem, is the fact that world in this movie appears to sparsely populated. We are supposed to belive that there are only a handful of people have noticed this ice age? No one else is worried about Darkness' plans? Where is the Pincesses family? Surely the King is concerned about that creepy tree? Guess not.

And as for the scores? Well put me in the minority who prefer the Tangerine Dream score. I really enjoy "new-age" metaphysical type music, and the Tangerine Dream score is that. More than that, I felt it added some much needed charm and uniqueness to the film, that Jerry Goldsmith's rather generic score did not.

Jonathan Dagmar

Supporting Actor
To each their own.

I found the Goldsmith score to be fairly avaerage, and certainly not memorable. Let's just say it doesn't pass the hum test. Just one day after seing the movie I can't remeber a single tune.

I think Goldsmiths most memorable score is Gremlins. Now that is one of my favourite movie scores.

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
having listened to TD for a long time before LEGEND, I actually felt their music for it was rather generic...RICHOCHET (1975) was probably their high point...

Bill Williams

Screenwriter
When I saw the DVD, I really only watched the 113-minute version of the film. I got through a few of the extras on Disc 2 with the 90-minute U.S. cut and about five minutes of the U.S. cut itself. The TV spots and trailers were pure 80's cheese.
Personally, I think the 113-minute cut works a lot better. Having the Darkness character appear later in the film gives his character a stronger presence, in my opinion. But seeing him within the first five minutes of the U.S. cut kind of reduces the suspenseful build-up of what he looks like, what he's capable of, etc. It's like the way Shinzon first appears in Star Trek: Nemesis, much more suspenseful. However, there is that justification of knowing what Darkness looks like very early on in the film, because in the original Star Wars we see Darth Vader come on screen very early, in the first 5-10 minutes of the film, and we see what he's made of. Similarly so for Sauron's first appearance very early in Fellowship of the Ring. But in the case of Legend, it works better for Darkness to appear later in the film, in my opinion.
As for the rest of the extras, I haven't even bothered, to be honest. But this DVD gives me one hope: if they can search for years and find the answer print of Legend hidden away in a film vault, it gives me hope that one day we'll get to see the complete 134-minute version of Superman IV!

Mike_Richardson

Supporting Actor
I still wonder what the writer of this thing was thinking. It a downright terribly written story.
Now that I'm in partial agreement with you with. The movie is a favorite of mine because of Ridley Scott's direction and the production design -- not the script or the performances for that matter.

Goldsmith's score, BTW, is one of the most highly regarded in his entire, near-half century career. I can hum nearly three or four themes from it -- it's one of his greatest achievements, as many have said over the years, from critics to film music fans and Ridley Scott himself.

You're right, everyone is entitled to their opinion. But to call Goldsmith's score "average" -- well, not many people would agree with you there.

Jonathan Dagmar

Supporting Actor
I suppose if I gave Goldsmiths score a few more listens it might grwo on me, but I can't see myself sitting through the movie again. I was bored stiff, and more often than not I was actually cringing at how bad it was.

I will however admit that the porduction design is really spectacular. However if I want to see really great 19080's era makue-up effects, I would rather watch a really great 1980s movie, like Labyrinth, for instance.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Labyrinth was awful, a Jim Henson muppet show with David Bowie prancing around in that silly outfit... gaah the horror, but it did have Jennifer Connelly, mmmm.:)
Legend had Tom Cruise prancing around in a silly outfit, but it had wonderful sets, great make-up, and a genuine fairy-tale feel to it all.
Tim Curry as Darkness was fantastic, and the score by Jerry Goldsmith was superb, one of my most listened to soundtrack CDs.:emoji_thumbsup:

Donnie Eldridge

Supporting Actor
You're right, everyone is entitled to their opinion. But to call Goldsmith's score "average" -- well, not many people would agree with you there.
I couldn't agree more. Perhaps some of Goldsmith's scores are better than others, but this couldn't be anymore memorable. A definite top 5 for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks