What's new

LEGEND DVD discussion thread (for ALL comments on packaging, transfer, film, etc.) (1 Viewer)

Jo_C

Second Unit
I can't believe it. We're more than a day away from the "Legend" DVD, and my heart is full of anticipation.

I just can't wait for it. I can't. So to warm myself up I'm watching my old, played-out VHS transfer of the imported and time-compressed UK 91/94 minute cut of the film with Goldsmith's score to tidy me down until Tuesday morning when I go to T***r and buy the DVD.

By the way, if anyone has an advanced copy of the director's cut, can anyone note the changes from the U.S. version that I should watch out for?

OK, see ya Tuesday...with the "Legend" DVD.

Ken Stuart

Second Unit
My online store has already shipped mine.... I hope that Fedex does one of their early deliveries.... then I can scoop all of you [evil Tim Curry grin]

MattHR

Screenwriter
Not sure if it's been reported already, but the packaging for LEGEND: ULTIMATE EDITION is the clear plastic "digipak"

that was used for the previous Ultimate Editions (Notting Hill, Meet Joe Black, American Pie, etc).

The booklet features the original poster art, but the cover is the one that's been posted here before (I believe it is the European artwork). One of the problems with these digipak cases is that there's no pocket to hold the booklets. Rather poor design, IMO.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
It certainly has been a long time coming, and I too am awaiting being able to watch this Tuesday evening.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
I got it in NYC last week. Looks GORGEOUS!
MUCH better film now. Jerry Goldsmith... WOW!
:) D

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I got an advance copy and the Director's cut version looks superb although I didn't notice much surround activity. The beginning and end are particularly different from the U.S. theatrical version but there are far too many other small differences for me to identify. Must say that I hate the clear plastic packaging. It doesn't close properly and you can hardly read the writing on the reverse side.

Veli-Matti Reitti

Stunt Coordinator
Lucky bastards living in the States. I have to wait at least a week from the release date before my copy arrives:frowning: On the other hand what's a week more for something you've waited several years for already
:)

Jim Rankin

Stunt Coordinator
I am looking forward to the Jerry Goldsmith score as well, however I never minded the Tangerine Dream soundtrack either - as music by itself, just thought it was out of place for that type of film. I am very happy this film is coming out but I am going to be an ungrateful bastard and say that this sort of treatment for a director's cut of Blade Runer would be cool too!:D

John_Berger

Senior HTF Member
Does anyone know why this was pulled off the shelf about a year ago? I had it pre-ordered when suddenly I got an e-mail saying that the studio has recinded the release dte and that no other date was provided. What was up with that?

Patrick Larkin

Screenwriter
Was the Tangerine Dream soundtrack added without Ridley Scott's approval?

I remember watching this years ago and thinking that the electronic soundtrack is what made the movie cool. Is the goldsmith score a traditional orchestra?

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
I found myself reliving the same dilemma I had endured a few years earlier with BLADE RUNNER. I had a film on my hands that was not immediately connecting with its audience.

With so much talent and effort on the line, I had no intention of letting it go. We recut the film. We changed the score. We tried everything we could to find the audience.

And in the end, we delivered a different film. It wasn't necessarily a better or worse film. It just wasn't the film I had originally intended to make.
I saw the film in Paris in early 1985 and found it fascinating but flawed. Every time I saw it afterward, it was the American cut, and the flaws were still there, without the fascination. Now, on this DVD, I've finally been able to replicate my initial experience.

M.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
I'll be at CostCo first thing tomorrow morning, $16.99 :cool:. Hard to believe, after such a long wait, that it will finally be in my hands.
Peace Out~:D

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I have put off watching this for the past 8 years waiting for a widescreen version. This will be the only DVD I buy for the rest of the month.

Now, about that cover...

JohnE

Supporting Actor
Thank's for the heads up about Costco Ron. That's a great price, for a movie I've been wanting for a long time. Think I'm going to save watching it for the long weekend though.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I'll be at Costco for this one also. :D Also eagerly awaiting this one for what seems like a very long time.

Richard Harvey

Stunt Coordinator
Well, I have Legend: UE in my hands. Very nice packaging, but I do have some concerns. First, it has almost a flip-cover type style using clear plastic, but once you take off the shrinkwrap and 3 security stickers, the flap doesn't tend to stay shut. Also, the booklet on the inside is simply dropped in -- there is no holder for it, so I can see it at risk of falling out or getting lost pretty easily.

But, above all else, my biggest complaint is the security tag. Somehow they placed the tag underneath the clear disk holder, which is then glued into place. Since the disk holder is clear, and the case itself is clear, from the back you can clearly see the security tag in all it's glory. I can't figure out a way to get it out without damaging the case! Once everyone starts getting theirs in today and tommorow, please post thoughts or ideas on how to safely get rid of it!

Rich

Eric F

Screenwriter
I ordered this film too, but I don't ever remember liking it all that much.
I am hoping that the additional scenes might make a bit more sense of it for me. I realized it had lots of potential, that's why I sprang for it (the $5 off coup helped too). ;)

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Richard, Columbia and Warner have been doing the same thing. General concensus: 90% of cases will get rips in them if you attempt to remove said sticker

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks