What's new

LEGEND DVD discussion thread (for ALL comments on packaging, transfer, film, etc.) (1 Viewer)

todd stone

Screenwriter
I am attempting to make a button on each side with velcro that will snap the case shut. I will post pics if I get it right.

Norm

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Norm
I loathe the DVD case for this DVD. What happened to the plain old black DVD cases, now everyone has to get fancy.

I think I like the US version ending better. I also like the Goldsmith score better.

Did Ridley change Darkness getting his hand cut off in the US version?

Ken Stuart

Second Unit
Charlie - can you comment on the isolated TD track? Is it not all of the music by TD that was in the film? And, if not, why not? (I'm sure it was for good reasons, I'm just curious what they were...)

Real Name
Charles de Lauzirika
Ken, unfortunately, it all boils down to missing music stems. Universal did the best they could do with what they had. Some pre-DVD films fare better than others when it comes to proper archiving and preservation of elements. Sadly, "Legend" was one of the "others."

I often think that the best thing about DVD is not that it allows viewers to see films with improved picture and sound, or see a ton of behind-the-scenes material. I think the best thing about DVD's higher standards is that it's forced the studios to better preserve their films.

Dharmesh C

Supporting Actor
The Bryan Ferry song is excellent!!! Never really noticed it before, but I'm so glad the video is included :D

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
Dharmesh,

I love the song and am glad the video is included as well— if you can overlook Bryan Ferry's Chess King remnants outfit. OOF.

Geoffrey_A

Second Unit
I've been a fan of legend since I was very young. I remember being 6 years old, sitting in my grandparents living room one evening and watching the old movie show "sneak previews" on PBS. My parents were talking with my grandparents, and none were paying attention to me or the television (which I'm thankful for, for they surely would have turned the TV of upon first sight of Darkness). From that moment on it was my mission to see that film. The imagery infected my young mind in much the same way that Star Wars and Tron had. So, eventually the film makes it to video and I get my hands on it. I was a little underwhelmed. The music was not at all what I had expected from the visuals I had seen. Over the years I grew to appreciate the film as the flawed gem that it was, but longed to see the film as it was orignaly intended, with an orchestral score and a longer run time. My prayers were answered yesterday, when I purchased and watched the Directors Cut.
First impressions: This movie is beautiful and brilliant. The packaging sucks scissors. the menu screens are very classy.
I can't even begin to describe how much I prefer the DC to the theatrical cut. The score works so brilliantly in the film that it's hard to understand how it could ever have been removed. Don't get me wrong, I've grown rather fond of the TD score over the years, but the impact of the film is lessened by it. TD's score pulls the film out of the "timeless" category and anchors it firmly in the early 80's. It robs the imagery of the classical impact it deserves. Beyond the score, the additional scenes clarify the story greatly and lend a depth to the film previously only hinted at. It plays much more like a classic Grimm fairy tale now, and it's to the film's bennefit.
Hinestly, I couldn't be more happy with the package. Not only do I have the vastly superior Directors Cut, but I also have a very entertaining commentary by Ridley Scott, the US theatrical cut that I grew up with, and a whole shatner-load of extras. It's an awesome set, and well worth the money.
Now, how about Blade Runner? ;)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
here's what i do with dvd cases that are like this one, and also dvd's that have a slip-case cover.

i buy a roll of cellophane tape. it has to be the clear "invisible" type not the hazy invisible type.

then before i open the wrapping on the dvd itself i decide which side will be the open side.

for slip-case dvd's like THE LAST WALTZ that are open on the top and bottom, i make the top the opening.

then i tape the edge around the top with the cello tape.

first putting a piece across the very top of the wrapping then going around the top edge of the dvd. usually twice.

then a use a very sharp knife or razor blade and go in from the top and cut the very top of the wrapping off.

now i have i slip case that has a nice plastic wrap on it that the dvd will not fall out of through the bottom. and it won't wear out because the plastic is still there.

and i can very easily slide the dvd case itself out through the top.

for dvd's that have this digipak type of case like legend and all in the family and fawlty towers. i do basically the same thing except i make the opening in the front and put tape along the top and the bottom edges so i can slide the digipak in and out of the plastic anytime i want to watch the movie.

sometimes with this kind of case it will be a tight fit so you have to very slowly and carefully slide the dvd case in and out of the plastic.

but now you have a dvd holder that holds the case together and keeps the inserts from falling out.

if i knew how to post pics here i would show step by step pics on how i do this.

of course this wont work with snappers and the standard regular dvd case.

it works very well with a slip-case on a dvd like the one for DR. ZHIVAGO.

this one has a very nice, and sturdy cardboard slip that the digipak type dvd holder slides in to. also CITIZEN CANE is the same exact thing. not to mention CLOSE ENCOUNTER and JERRY MAGUIRE.

i'll try to put pics on my little web site that i have if i can figure that out.

for anyone that is interested.

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
ok,

just got this:

1. I don't remember whAT I saw on VHS.

2. The DC I first watched came across as boring, with gimmicky sound, blurred credits, dark, and the worst Goldsmith score I've had to hear.

3. The TC had more colour for some reason, blurrier credits, less intrusive score, more pleasant sound, more interesting pacing.

ps. why does it seem when Tom dives in after the ring, to be shot 4x3 stretched?

Bruce W.

Auditioning
Hello Everyone

A long, long time reader. Been enjoying this forum for years.

I do have a comment to make about "Legend" a passionate subject of mine. Got the dvd the day it came out.

Finally decided to voice some concerns.

First off, I'm glad it finally made it out. Been waiting for this for a long time.

I had heard so much over the years about the European cut and the Goldsmith score. Great finally

to be able to see it.

About the transfer:

I wish this would have been called Legend: Ultimate Director's Cut. Because for me,

I grew up with the U.S. cut. And that is what I fell in love with. I'm sure that

99% of this forum who liked Legend, liked it because of what they saw in the

theater or home video, the U.S. version. With the awesome

Tangerine Dream score.

It seems all the hard work went into the Director's cut and not in the U.S. cut.

The transfer is inferior in the U.S. version. Also, The Director's cut features

not only a Dolby Digital track, but a DTS version as well. The U.S. has

only a Pro-logic track. I wish they would have at least put a DD on it.

The seperate music track is nice, but it's not multi-channel. That would have been nice.

I understand that the film is over 15 yrs old. But they DID create two

multi-channel tracks for the DC.

Don't get me wrong, I'm happy it finally made it to dvd. I enjoy the Director's cut

even though it seems like a different movie. No better. No worse. This was Director's Scott

first vision and I respect his wishes to put all the effort into that.

BUT, the U.S. version is all I have known and liked. Now, if Universal

would release a DTS U.S. cut of Legend......

For Charlie De Lauzirika, First off, great job. I always look forward to your comments

and the dvd's you put out. Keep up the great work. And I'm looking forward,

as everyone else is, to Blade Runner.

"No" to both questions, Ken. There was a tiny bit of picture tweaking here and there that I doubt anyone will spot. Digital gaffe removal, if you will. But there was no additional photography or recording done to the feature.

I think I've got you here.

How about during the opening when Blix is in the forest walking toward

the Great Tree. When he stops, doesn't he qucikly reach into his quiver?

Honestly, I haven't checked my VHS tape, but if memory serves.....

I think that was cut out of both the Director's cut and the U.S. cut on this dvd.

I always thought that shot was strange. Why would Blix be looking so inquisitively at something

as familar as the Great Tree where Darkness resides? But everything gets explained in the original opening

that was shot. Pertaining to a strand of the unicorns' hair. And now I know where the

flashes of light came from!!!

Thanks.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Guy's, I honestly have to say that I have no problem with this digipak design, just like I didn't have a problem with Walking With Dinosaurs or Fight Club.
Now the Close Encounters digipak sucks, but I can still deal with it without mutilating the case...I mean just how fast do you really need to get a DVD out of it's case?

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Sorry, but the case for Legend bites. The cover will not stay closed, the booklet falls out. At some point his will migrate into a nice double alpha giving it the shelf prominence it deserves.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
I dunno, I guess that's a matter of opinion because my booklet never falls out, but whatever, to each his own.

Michael Martin

Screenwriter
I really don't have any preference between Amaray and snapper cases, but the digipack for Legend bites. I really, really, really hate it. Cumbersome and quite unattractive -- the only time a DVD's package raised my ire.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Maybe I just don't understand, what exactly is the problem that you guys are having with the case? How is the book falling out? I don't think I am having these problems with it but maybe I'm just so pleased with the disc's themselves that just don't notice the horrible case.;)
Seriously though, what exactly is the problem?

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
The case won't close! Having a sheet of plastic wrapping a Digipak tray ensures that the case always springs open. There is no place for the booklet, so it just slips out whenever you pick it up.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
I don't know what to say, I don't have this problem. I take it out, I put the discs in, I put the case back in the shelf, it stays together. No problem.

But I understand what you people are talking about now.

Miles

Second Unit
Wow... I went to this with an open mind... but thought this was terrible. I generally like fantasy movies, Conan, Princess Bride, Willow, etc. But, it seemed the only rewarding aspect was visuals early on in the movie. Did I miss something?

Dharmesh C

Supporting Actor
I'm quite the opposite: I use to hate it, but fell in love with it on DVD, and that was the theatrical cut!!! Quite like the Tangerine Dream score, good as the Goldsmith one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks