What's new

LeBron James ineligible for the rest of the season. (1 Viewer)

CaseyLS

Second Unit
When you have millions of dollars coming your way based on athletic talent, why bother with education

Cam S

Screenwriter
Good point John, I'm gonna laugh if this kid injurs himself or does some other stupid thing and he has nothing to fall back on.

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
I'm gonna laugh if this kid injurs himself or does some other stupid thing and he has nothing to fall back on.
There is almost no possibility of Lebron not making out like a bandit. If he gets injured, even a career ending sort of thing, he's insured for millions. He will be the first pick in the draft, which guarentees a $9,000,000 payout. Then toss in a big fat shoe contract from Nike for many more millions and Lebron is not going to be broke...unless he gives his mother all the money. So, just from that standpoint...this kid will have millions to his name and if he does do something stupid or gets injured in a way that an NBA team wouldn't touch him (I doubt all NBA teams would pass on him in any event-his upside is way too phenomenal), he would still have the money to attend college and get an education.

Bruce

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
Good character isn't a requirement to be a good basketball player. I'll provide examples if you'd like but I don't want to crash the server. He is the number one draft pick this year unless its clear that he won't play for the team that drafts him.
Which is exactly what he told the Cleveland Cavaliers--he won't play for them because they fired John Lucas as coach. How admirable! What other teams are on his (or his mother's) shit list? What demands will he (or his mother or his handlers) be making?

He has shown himself to be naive, stupid, selfish, and greedy. While that doesn't preclude an NBA career, it raises some red flags. His success as a pro is far from guaranteed.

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
I think many of the comments posted here are based more in jealousy then anything else.

As it has already been posted, he'll make out like a bandit even if his pro career ends prematurely.
He had to know this would get him in hot water
Really? This is an eighteen-year old kid; sadly he might not have known this would get him into trouble.

The only ones I feel sorry for are his teammates. His HS team is nowhere near the number 1 team in the nation without him. Just think, for many of his teams mates winning the state championship would have been the high point of their basketball careers, now it's probably over for them. Hey maybe we'll have a Hollywood type ending and this team will come together and win it all but I doubt it.

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
Really? This is an eighteen-year old kid; sadly he might not have known this would get him into trouble.
I would have given him the benefit of the doubt had he not recently gone through the Hummer controversy. You'd think his advisors would warn him about this type of thing.

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member

The kid actually has an entire legal team working for him. The law firm recently made local headlines when the deal to offer his HS games on pay-per-view was closed.

I'm baffled that they let this happen.

-V

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
You'd think his advisors would warn him about this type of thing.
You'd like to think so but who are his advisors? Heck those closest to him might not have know that such a thing would be against the Ohio High School rules of eligibility.

Edit: I just saw the information that Vince posted. Some legal team, did they get their degrees from the back of a matchbook? Knowing that it is truly sad that they could not have proactively taken steps so this didn't happen.

Really who knows, perhaps they did tell him on the dos and the do nots and he decided to ignore them.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Some legal team, did they get their degrees from the back of a matchbook? Knowing that it is truly sad that they could not have proactively taken steps so this didn't happen.
Lawyers don't have much control over the stupidity of their clients. Don't ask me how I know.

Dan Hine

Screenwriter
Having been 18 not too long ago YES HE SHOULD TO HAVE KNOWN HE WOULD GET INTO TROUBLE. I was making much harder decisions when I was 18 (and younger) than anything like "gee, should I or should I not take a $50k car or $1000 worth of clothes?" Unless he is an idiot then he knew the rules. Even IF he didn't know them with the Hummer incident then he damn sure should have learned from that experience and not done the same thing with the jerseys.

CaseyLS

Second Unit
Of course now that he cant play he could sign his shoe deal. This just gets him the money quicker plus two free jersies. Not saying that this is the way to do it but The mind of an eighteen year old usually only thinks about two things gettin paid and getting well you know

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
The sad thing is that his teammates now have to go on without their best player. This team was probably a favorite to win the state championship, but now that will most likely not happen. So, a bunch of kids who will never be famous or have millions of dollars miss out on a chance for the memory of a lifetime because of one spoiled kid's actions.

This entire situation is ridiculous, from a high school exploiting a kid by traveling around the country for money (shouldn't these high school kids be in school), to an "amateur" having his unemployed mother buy him an $80,000 truck, to all the media feeding frenzy going on about the kid.

I don't know about anyone else, but I am tired of hearing about LeBron James every time I turn on SportsCenter. I now turn the channel whenever the topic comes on.

Reginald Trent

Screenwriter
Quote:

When you have millions of dollars coming your way based on athletic talent, why bother with education
---------------------

I find it curious and interesting that people seem to begrudge others who come from urban poverty to the attainment of riches thru their athletic abilities. The same people find nothing wrong when people from suburban settings cash in on whatever their strengths happen to be.

Moreover, Most urban schools do an extremely poor job of educating their students, so just how much education is Lebron James missing anyway.

Some people have a hard time coming to grips with the fact that school is not for everybody. They should respect the decision of Lebron and his family.

Sorry, but it just sounds like people jealous with envy because this young guy is on the verge of millions.

BertFalasco

Supporting Actor
Didn't read all of the thread but all I have to type is that who cares if sits out, because the man is most definitely going to be first overall pick and he dosen't have to worry about injury risks. It's all gravy :).

Dan Hine

Screenwriter
Didn't read all of the thread but all I have to type is that who cares if sits out, because the man is most definitely going to be first overall pick and he dosen't have to worry about injury risks.
I'm willing to bet (as others have said) that his teammates care a whole lot. Now their goal of winning a state championship will likely not be met. LeBron is/was thinking only of himself. If you live life that way then it won't matter how much money you have. When it is all said and done, you'll be alone.

Mark Pfeiffer

Screenwriter
While I'm 90 minutes plus from Akron, the story is being covered quite a bit here. He has returned the jerseys, and the general opinion is that he will return playing this year.

As for college, if he wants to go, he won't be permitted to play basketball there. The NCAA has already said that he is ineligible (the planes trips, etc. from shoe companies to basketball camps).

Oh, and his team may be a favorite to win the state championship with him, but they didn't do it last year.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks