LeBron James ineligible for the rest of the season.

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by KeithH, Jan 31, 2003.

1. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

In case you didn't hear, LeBron James has been ruled ineligible for the remainder of the high school basketball season for receiving two sports jerseys worth $845 as gifts. Here is the link:

http://espn.go.com/nba/news/2003/0131/1502001.html

Gee, what a surprise. [​IMG]

2. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

I keep having fantasies about carjacking the punk. I see him around at least once a week.

[​IMG]

3. Dan Hine

Dan Hine Screenwriter

Well, I've never met him but from the articles I've read anything that might be wrong with him needs to be attributed to his mother. Every quote of hers in the ESPN: The Magazine article I read made me want to slap her upside the head. I know I should not judge her since I've never met her, but she seems like she sees a golden opportunity in her sons talent and just wants to use him to get what she can't get for herself.

4. Mark Pfeiffer

Mark Pfeiffer Screenwriter

The OHSAA has made more than its share of screwy decisions over the years. Can't say that this surprises me, although my initial impression is that they couldn't get him on the Hummer, so they've got him on a smaller issue.

Don't get me wrong, I think a lot of what is going on surrounding him has no place in high school athletics. Everybody but James has got their piece from his talents.

5. John Thomas

John Thomas Cinematographer

I haven't followed this very closely, being very jaded with the hypocrisy involved, but did anything turn up about the Hummer? I heard that it was a gift from his mother. Was she given the money by a college/NBA team or is she just well off?

6. Cam S

Cam S Screenwriter

7. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

John, from what I read, James's mother applied for a loan for the Hummer. Apparently, the OHSAA found nothing devious in the way in which she secured the loan.

8. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

9. Michael D. Bunting

Michael D. Bunting Screenwriter

Michael
    So....I guess he'll be the #1 pick in the next NBA draft...I'm sure he has no problem with losing his HS eligibilty.

10. Dan Hine

Dan Hine Screenwriter

11. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

12. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

13. Justin Lane

Justin Lane Cinematographer

As far as the loan on the Hummer goes, I can guarantee you LeBron has an insurance policy in the millions alreay in place just in case he gets a freak accident. Along with the fact there have been rumors Nike has already offered him a deal in the 20 million range, I would think a bank would feel very secure in his ability to pay off the loan in the future. Still, he should have at least waited until he was drafted to begin his indulgences, but it is obvious this guy wants the attentiion.

J

14. Cam S

Cam S Screenwriter

I saw on one of the sports channels that he all of a sudden started wearing Nike shows, and that they figure Nike did infact strike a deal with him. Hmmmmmm.

Let's just hope this kid and his mom don't screw everything up.

15. Brian Perry

Brian Perry Cinematographer

I think it shows a lack of character that he would let his teammates, coaches, and school down like this. He had to know this would get him in hot water, especially with the recent scrutiny about the Hummer. While he'll still get his millions, I think a smart GM would think twice about drafting him.

16. Phil L

Phil L Supporting Actor

No smart GM would think twice about drafting him. Good character isn't a requirement to be a good basketball player. I'll provide examples if you'd like but I don't want to crash the server. He is the number one draft pick this year unless its clear that he won't play for the team that drafts him.

17. alan halvorson

alan halvorson Cinematographer

What I want to know is - how can two sports jerseys be worth $845?

18. Dome Vongvises

Dome Vongvises Lead Actor

Note to self in next life: be a basketball superstar.

19. Chris_Morris

Chris_Morris Screenwriter

20. CaseyLS

CaseyLS Second Unit

I work in a sporting goods store and we sell some throw back jerseys but they dont have numbers on them and they are just replicas and they were 150 bucks. So make it real and put a name on itlike Gale Sayers you could add about 200-300. Times two. Thats how a shirt is "worth" that much