What's new

LCD Projection TV over Fireplace (1 Viewer)

Art F

Auditioning
We are remodeling our family room and I am considering rebuilding our fireplace mantle so that it can house our Panasonic 45" LCD projection tv. The fireplace is not used very often. I don't believe the heat will be an issue because of the distance from the fire, and obviously it will be sitting on a wood mantle that can't get too hot. :) Is there any issue with the tv being above the fireplace as far as possible smoke and dust? Thanks in advance for your help.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
If there are no issues regarding heat, what about image height? You should have a display at about eye level.

Art F

Auditioning
If the building code will allow me to put the mantle as low as I am wanting to, the height shouldn't be too much of an issue. I realize it will be a bit above eye level, but not by much.

Steve Berger

Supporting Actor
After 33 years servicing TV's I can guarantee 2 things. If the fireplace is used then the set will pick up a distinct odor that cannot be removed and it will develop a filmy buildup over all the internal surfaces after a couple of years. This film can become conductive under the right conditions of heat and humidity.

Unknown complications: The surface mount electrolytic capacitors now used in modern electronics might allow smoke migration that would damage them. They haven't been in regular use in TV's long enough to have any data on this. These capacitors have been damaged in camcorders exposed to smoke from house fires. (I have seen this personally)

Personally , I would suggest two things ; get the set at least 10 feet away from the fire. 5-10 feet seemed to be the critical distance on film buildup in the 1970's and 80's when we saw this problem a lot (and these were on sets next to fireplaces , not above). Examine critically the size of the set versus optimal seating distance. You might find that the size of the set that you could put above the mantle is too small for your seating location.

Tyson Wetzel

Stunt Coordinator
It's been my experience that LCD RP sets do not do well above fireplaces or too high in general due to the use of lenticular screens. Better put your set up at that height to be sure you are happy with the pic first.

Art F

Auditioning
Thanks for the advice everyone.

We went back to the drawing board over the weekend and came up with a plan and layout that won't require the tv to be above the fireplace. That was never my first choice, just trying to compromise with the "Director of domestic operations." :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks