Recommendation for HD Ready LCD TV

Discussion in 'Displays' started by JohnEF, Nov 3, 2005.

1. JohnEF

JohnEF Stunt Coordinator

We are in the market for an LCD TV that is in the 26" to 30" range that is HDTV ready and under $1,000. This is for our living room (my wife will not accept anything bigger in this room-I do have a projection system in the family room).

We expect mostly to watch mostly DVD's while sitting by our fireplace. I do eventually plan to run a cable into this area so we can view some cable tv.

In searching around prices seem to be all over the place running from $800 on sale to up to $1,800 for name brands though I've noticed that the specs all seem to be pretty close to each other.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

John

2. John S

John S Producer

Well if you can go 30", go 30"... Seems to be a bit of an odd size though.....

Sharp has an older model if you can score one on a great deal, you may be able to fit it in budget.

Most of what I see in the 30" size are way off brands, some cheap though... Tiger Direct has one for $799 Soyo branded [​IMG]

3. JohnEF

JohnEF Stunt Coordinator

I just was in Costco today and saw a Maxent 26" LCD cable ready TV for $749.00. I am not familiar with this off brand. They were also selling a Provue (or Proview?) 32" for $999. The image looked good. Any comments on these brands?

John

4. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino
    Best Buy has a 32" Westinghouse 16:9 LCD HD set for $999.99. I bought the 27" version of the same set a few weeks ago. Westinghouse isn't exactly a high-end Hometheater brand, but I've been very impressed with this set.

I'm in the middle of rennovating my condo and plan to replace my 55" RPTV analog 16:9 living room TV now that my cable company is finally offering HD service. While shopping for that set I also decided to go with a single display in my home office - something that could replace both the 13" TV that my cable box and TiVo are connected to and my 17" computer monitor. I got the 27" Westinghouse a couple of weeks ago for $850 on sale and with a mail-in rebate. There was no other set in that size and close to that price - and since I primarly wanted it as a computer monitor (I mostly watch TV in the office in the early evening when the news is on, or while I'm on my treadmill) I didn't need an HT showpiece. I wasn't even sure I was going to permanently put an HD tuner in that room. (I had picked up an HD-DVR from my cable company, but intended that for the new living room TV.)

Then came the hurricane. The living room project is on hold and the home office/spare bedroom had a window taken out by a falling tree. So I ended up moving both the HD-DVR/Cable Box and 27" Westinghouse out to the living room for the time being. They're sitting on a table a few feet from the couch, off to the right of the main TV. I have to say a little time with Avia and I'm very impressed with this TV. In fact, except to watch some of my existing season passes on the old TV, I don't even watch the old TV. I think I'm going to keep this set in the living room until its 50" to 61" successor arrives, and I'm definitely getting another HD tuner in the home office because I've been so impressed with how even non-anamorphic DVDs look on this set upconverted to 720p. (Faroudja circuitry) The black levels look good and the picture detail is generally outstanding. Westinghouse might seem like an off-brand these days, but I think you'll be hard pressed to find a better over-all value at that price point and in that size range.

Check the ad tomorrow, you never know when they'll throw another sale. (I know when I picked up my 27" they were selling very well. I ended up with the last one they had in stock.)

Regards,

Joe

5. NickSI

NickSI Stunt Coordinator

Sharp Aquos is the only way to go. Honestly i have a 37" which i know is bigger than you are looking for, but... i have seen some smaller ones and the picture is much the same. very good sound as well. its an allover great TV and i love mine. i would be wary of the cheaper "off brands" but thats my personal bit.

6. Joel C

Joel C Screenwriter

That 32-inch Westinghouse is on sale at BB right now for $899... I might pick one up tomorrow based on your comments, Joseph. Honestly, as I am now watching on a five-year-old 27" Toshiba that doesn't even do anamorphic squeeze, I'll probably be happy enough.

But anyone else have a comment on Westinghouse?

7. Jon V

Jon V Auditioning

Every time I have seen a westinghouse among other televisions, I am first amazed by the price, and then suprised just how bad the image looked compared to samsung, panasonic, etc. However, I will say these were not calibrated sets and it wasn't a fair a/b comparison. Still, I have not seen one that looked as good as more famous brands yet.

8. JohnEF

JohnEF Stunt Coordinator

I finally settled for a Viewsonic N2750W (27 inch LCD) that was on sale at CompUSA for $750 with a $50 rebate bringing the price down to $700.

It got good reviews and my initial impression was good in the store (they had a very large number of TV's playing an HD signal) and good at home before I even calibrated the picture. The size was perfect for the living room as far as my wife was concerned and since we sit about 6 feet away it is more than acceptable to me.

John

9. Seam Dempsy

Seam Dempsy Stunt Coordinator

Best Buy has a widescreen Westinghouse LCD HD 26inch. on sale black friday for $500. I am in the market for a TV for college. I currently have a Sony WEGA 27inch CRT and it is too heavy and too bulky to be constantly transported. Is a 26 inch still too big? And would a Westinghouse be good for video games, movies, and as a computer monitor for my powerbook? I have a seperate reciever and speakers so im more concerned about picture quality. Thanks!

10. Jon V

Jon V Auditioning

I really think they have a poor picture compared to other brands to be honest. If you are looking for a value LCD flat TV, check out syntax olevia. I opted for samsung and am glad I did... I feel like I got my money's worth. Anyway if you have to go cheaper, i think syntax olevia is superior to westinghouse brand.

11. Joel C

Joel C Screenwriter

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0&page=1&pp=30

They all seem to like the Westinghouse models OK here...

I'd look at another brand, but I'd have to spend at least $700 more to get a 32" LCD than I did for the Westinghouse I bought last week at the BB sale for $899. I'd like a "name" brand, but that's a BIG cash difference, and the AVS people seem pleased...

I am debating trying to go on Friday for a deal on the 32" JVC that's on sale for $1199, but the thing is like .8" wider than my TV cabinet. Stupid side speakers I will never use...

12. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino
    I'm looking at a Westinghouse 27", properly adjusted with Digital Video Essentials, as I write this. I have Discovery HD on. It looks gorgeous. It makes my Toshiba SD CRT projection TV look like a booger. I never trust in store demos because 1) I'm never sure all the sets are getting the same feed or where they are on the cable chain 2) I'm never sure if any of them are properly adjusted, 3) I'm usually standing a couple of feet in front of them and looking at them under lighting conditions I will never approximate at home.

The TV is not perfect (no HDMI input, for instance) but for several hundred dollars less than the nearest competitor it is awfully darned good when taken off the factory settings and I've been very happy with it. (Not so happy that I didn't get them to agree to let me swap it out for the 32" set when they restocked, since I paid $899 for the thing 32 days before the current sale. [​IMG] With the 27s down to $500 I'm seriously thinking about picking up another on Friday for use in the home office and putting the 32" in the bedroom, where I've never had a TV. That should tide me over until the new floors are put in and the new furniture arrives for the living room, at which point I'll be able to have my JVC 56" D-ILA delivered. [​IMG])

Regards,

Joe

13. Dennis_N

Dennis_N Agent

Personally, i am buying a Syntax Olevio 26" widescreen today. You can get them for $695 and then get a $200 mail in rebate ($495 shipped from beach camera). I've read some good things about it and also some bad (DVI connection). I'll let you know when I get it what the deal is!!

14. SteveKNJ

SteveKNJ Stunt Coordinator

On this subject, I currently have a Sony 27" SD TV, that I bought about 3 or 4 years ago. I would say it's widescreen but semi-wide screen, in that it's not square and it's got a flat picturetube. Is it true that a 27" widescreen will offer me less viewing space, and the equivilant would be a 32"? Just trying to weigh my options.

15. Westly T

Westly T Second Unit

I stopped by a Sams club just to see what they had (not a member) and saw a 32" Vizio LCD. The speakers were on bottom and were similar to the Sony model. It was 1366x768, 800/1 contrast, and only about $889 (forget the exact price). The picture was not bad at all and stood up pretty well to the Sony 32" it was next to. The whites were a bit warmer and contrast was not as good, but it was still a really decent picture for about 1/2 the price of the Sony. It's dimensions are also very good for fitting into an older cabinet, less then 32" wide from the looks of it. I thought the picture was better then any of the other off brand models I looked at.