"Last of the Mohicans" re-release question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jim Robbins, Aug 7, 2002.

1. Jim Robbins

Jim Robbins Stunt Coordinator

I have the first issue of this DVD which was not anamorphic. I could not find any reviews of the re-release which is. Does anyone have it and is it better than the original DVD?

2. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    The re-release is anamorphic and has DTS.

3. John Macri

John Macri Stunt Coordinator

A whole lot better... I sold my original and bought the new one (ditto with Tombstone, American Werewolf in London, Se7en).

4. Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott Lead Actor

when i first got mine i was a little disappointed.
    i had sold off the non-a version and didn't have it to a/b, but the picture on the new one wasn't as clear and sparkling as i had expected it to be.

pulled it out recently though and was very satisfied with the picture.
    don't know how to explain the change in attitude.
    i think the picture on the original issue was very solid ( like the '68 Planet of the Apes), but enhancement does tighten it up further.

for me, it was sort of like going from s-video to component on my projector.
    s-video was watchable and component was better, but the difference i suspect would be noticeable when going back to s-video after living with component for a while.
    thats when you realize how much better the one is.

if you have a decent display, just go ahead and sell the old one and up grade.

5. Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott Lead Actor

when i first got mine i was a little disappointed.
    i had sold off the non-a version and didn't have it to a/b, but the picture on the new one wasn't as clear and sparkling as i had expected it to be.

pulled it out recently though and was very satisfied with the picture.
    don't know how to explain the change in attitude.
    i think the picture on the original issue was very solid ( like the '68 Planet of the Apes), but enhancement does tighten it up further.

for me, it was sort of like going from s-video to component on my projector.
    s-video was watchable and component was better, but the difference i suspect would be noticeable when going back to s-video after living with component for a while.
    thats when you realize how much better the one is.

if you have a decent display, just go ahead and sell the old one and up grade.