What's new

lacking in midbass what should i do? (1 Viewer)

Jay_A

Grip
I own KEF Q3 for fronts and a velodyne cht 15 subs. Sounds great but I feel it lacks "punch". I tried moving the sub around, played with the x-over and phase controls but still no kick.

John F. Palacio

Supporting Actor
Make sure that your mains are "in phase". If that checks OK you might try to run a FR curve to see where the problem lies.

Jay_A

Grip
Thanks John, I recheck the phase and no problem with that department. I did use a test cd, their is a dip in the midbass section then after that part the subs kick in. I by-pass the subs crossover and use my receivers x-overs and set it at 80hz to avoid any overlap, i think :) Anyways my room size is 36'x15' and 8' of ceiling, I use a rotel rsx-1055 for power.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
That is a huge room, and the Q3s may have some difficulty moving sufficient air to excite the room. The room is also near the unfriendly ratio of 2:1, which may play a role in the dip. I would not be looking to the sub to solve the issue, I'd be moving the Q3s around to see if it has a significant affect on the dip.

Michael R Price

Screenwriter
Jay, how about playing with the positions of those speakers? If you get up and walk around is there more punch than at your seat?

Jay_A

Grip
John what is the 2:1 ratio? Just moved the speakers around then finally I turned off the subs, the massive dip in the midbass area is gone. I elevate my front speakers and I think it helps. But still when I play music its like the midbass is missing or not that loud. I played rock music and the "punch" is still not there even when moving around the room. Is it the subs or the front speakers or the room or is it just me(looking for something that is not there)? ;)

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
A 1:1 and 2:1 (length:width) ratio are generally not great room sizes for sound because they are more conducive to frequency cancellation. Unfortunately, it sounds like the midbass region is where your room is doing this, and you may need to consider an EQ. I can't say if the lack of "punch" is simply the speaker or if the room is a factor. Did they seem to have punch in the store? I've only heard the 1s in the store and my friend's 5s, and the 5s definitely don't lack in midrange.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks