What's new

Kung Fu Chaos (1 Viewer)

Daren Welsh

Supporting Actor
When I picked up my copy of DOAX at Gamestop, I just rolled my $5 down over to Kung Fu Chaos. The game sounds pretty cool and could be a barrel of laughs, but I'm not totally convinced this game is worth the opening $50.

Any of you guys following this game? Any thoughts on whether this game will be cool?

dave_brogli

Screenwriter
For what its worth I read somewhere... ummm gamespy ign or gamespot or somewhere??? it gave it a 6.3.
it look interesting to me though!

millercv

Second Unit
Extended play gave it a very favorable review and it looked fun. Great graphics and minigames abound at least from the looks of it I will be picking it up :)

Kelley_B

Senior HTF Member
Played it.....worth every ounce of $50, especially if you have four friends over. If you liked Power Stone you have got to get this game. Now if it just had Live support it would be perfect.

Todd Terwilliger

Screenwriter
IGN's review was not very positive. They gave it a score in the 6 range. I think that's the review that Dave is thinking about.

Dan B

Screenwriter
FWIW, EGM apparently gave it scores of: 5.5, 4.0, 5.5 ( I can't confirm that personally...but saw it on a message board...;) )

Daren Welsh

Supporting Actor
For those of you who say you've played it, was this beta testing in Redmond ... or is there a demo out somewhere?

Anyone played this yet? I figure at least someone had it shipped to them.

Daren Welsh

Supporting Actor
Turns out I was the only person to pre-order this at the local GS. :p) I was kinda leary to buy it after I heard that, but I went ahead on blind faith and I can say I'm very pleased with my choice so far.

I can't do a very thorough review yet as I've only played for a couple hours. I can say that it's been really fun and it looks to be a good party game. The premise is that you're a kung fu master working in a film. In single-player mode you progress through different scenes in the film, doing different stunts. One of the first scenes is a typical ass-kickin' ninja fight scene that starts in a restaurant and ends up travelling down a river on some boats. You keep moving through the level, fighting off enemies using DOAesque combos. Of course, the moves aren't as complex as DOA, but there's a surprising amount of flexibility in fighting techniques. At the end of the level/scene, you're judged on your performance and given x/5 stars. The scenes vary from the standard fight scenes, to standing atop a pole in a lake with a crane swinging around in a circular fashion. Hit the crane or jump over it as it passes and try to knock off the other ninjas. Another funny one has you and three other ninjas atop 100-foot tall bamboo stands, weaving back and forth, while you throw a tied up princess back and forth hot-potato-style trying to catch each other off-guard for a knockdown.

There are several characters to play as ... about 8 or 10 total, I think. Each has his/her own fighting style and special moves.

In battle mode, you can play the same levels as in single player, but multiplayer -- either with friends or bots. You can choose how many rounds to fight, which levels to fight on, and what game-type. I've only tried two game types so far (that I have unlocked) ... one depends on how many lives you have left at the end of the scene. The other, called Mojo, gives the mojo to the person to get the first kill. Then while you have the mojo you accumulate points. Kill the guy with the mojo to steal it and get your own points.

After a battle mode scene is over, you have the choice to watch the "Final Cut". I think this feature is pretty cool because it takes your fight and replays it using different camera angles, special effects, slow motion, zooms, background music, and running commentary from the director.

I can't tell yet if the game is 4x3 or 16x9, but I wouldn't put too much money down on 16x9. The graphics are pretty nice, with intentially added lines and specs to give it the look of an old kung fu flick. A couple downsides are the really short scenes with the director, where the jaggies come out. In the fighting part of the game, though, it seems really smooth. Also, I'm not too fond of how short and stalky the characters are. If they were more life-like, the punching/kicking animations might look better. Oh well.

The sound is pretty good. Random "foo pish" and "whooo hah!" noises snap out while you're in the menu screens, adding to the whole kung fu flick -ness. I haven't tried changing to a custom soundtrack while I'm in a game, but I know you can use any custom song you want while watching the "Final Cut" scenes. The game only comes with 3 songs: Kung Fu Chaos, Enter the Dragon, and Kung Fu Fighting.

The controls are done well. The main buttons control jumping, attack, light attack/counter, and throwing. Then you can either A+X or white button (and another combo or black button) to do special moves. The triggers control blocking and taunting. When you knock someone down, it stuns them for a short time. If you taunt them just as they fall, you get a star above your character. Get three stars and you get a special attack, used by pulling both triggers. The camera seems to do a good job. Since the scenes progress along a river or through a building, you have to keep moving to keep up. If you dilly-dally and fall behind (out of camera), then you die and respawn in the middle. It's not hard to keep up though, as the speed is really moderate.

I'm not sure what else to list at this point. I have about 20% unlocked and I'll work on some more tonight. So far I like it :)

Chris Flynn

Second Unit
So whats the general word on this, from people who PURCHASED it?

I'm kind of looking for a fun game to pick up this weekend, and KFC is the only thing out right now that caught my eye... Is it worth me picking it up? Bear in mind that my friends and I love SSB:M and we liked PowerStone 1/2 as well...

Scott "E"

Second Unit
So whats the general word on this, from people who PURCHASED it?
Other than fact that it doesn't support 480p, I'm enjoying it quite a bit. I've only put in a couple of hours so far in the single player game, but if it's one thing, it's a whole lot of fun. I'll try to put up some better impressions later tonight or tomorrow.

Chris Flynn

Second Unit
Well, but the bullet and purchased it. My friends and I played is for HOURS this weekend. It's really fun, and just a well made game.

We had 3 players playing constantly and we had a blast. I played through some single player, and it seems kind of short, but with the unlockables and everything, it makes it a lot of fun. The multiplayer is incredible, and is easily one of the best MP games I've ever played.

The instant replays are gorgeous, and the whole movie motif fits the game very well. And it is FUNNY. All in all, a great purchase for me, and I'm glad I didn't pass it up.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks