Kodak Digital Cameras- Any Good?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kevin Potts, Jan 13, 2002.

1. Kevin Potts

Kevin Potts Second Unit

Hey all,

My girlfriend and I are seriously considering the purchase of a Kodak DX3700 digital camera. I don't know too much about them as far as quality goes, so I would welcome any thoughts you all might have.

Thanks

2. PatrickM

PatrickM Screenwriter

I just bought a DX3900 with the docking station and I think its quite good. I just had some photos printed (4x6) and its indistinguishable from pictures I've taken using my SLR in terms of grain. Picture quality is still better on my SLR but that's attributable to the lenses more than anything else and its unfair to compare a SLR to a point and shoot.
    The 3.1MP resolution is about the lowest I'd go. 2.1MP isn't bad but the 3.1MP is noticably different.
    For a more in depth review try www.steves-digicams.com .
    Patrick

3. Richard_T

Richard_T Second Unit

We've had our Kodak DC-3400 camera about 6 months and I quite like it. The pictures are colourful and very clear for me. The menu is very easy to navigate and it's pretty light and easy to carry. Pictures look great on high resolution and look fantastic on the web. The ability to hook it up straight to your TV for viewing is another great plus for me. The only gripe I have is I wish it had a longer zoom. That's about it I guess. I think you'd be happy with one.[​IMG]

4. Jeff_P

Jeff_P Stunt Coordinator

Kevin,

I also just bought a DX3900 and have to say I am quite happy with it. Its easy enough for my wife to use. The pictures I have been printing from home are good but noticebly diffrent that normal developed pictures.

I also just tried ofoto.com this week and must say I am happy with their service. If you break it down $ wise, it would be exspensive to get all your pictures developed this way. It cost .49 cents for a 4x6. So a roll of 24 would cost $12.00. But just think that you are only getting the pictures you like. Where with getting film developed, you never know how the picture comes out until after you pay for it. Also, the first 15 are free. They also give you some cool options to add borders to pictures or makes cards.

Its free to sign up so you can't lose much. I will use them again for sure.

5. WoodyH

WoodyH Stunt Coordinator

Kevin -
    I've got a Kodak DX 3500 and I think it's great. I haven't done any printing of my pictures yet, but at least for online use, the quality is beautiful. If you want a quick idea, I've got a few photos that I took at this years Bumbershoot music festival in Seattle spread over two posts on my weblog here - part one and part two. All of those photos are at the camera's lower quality setting, the higher quality setting gets much higher resolution, and probably works wonderfully if I ever do want to print.

6. Kevin Potts

Kevin Potts Second Unit

Thanks for the feedback fellas.

After doing a little research, we decided to go with the DX3900 instead of the 3700. It seems that there have been numerous problems with the batteries on the 3700, and I figured I might as well spend the extra hundred and go with the better of the two. I found one on Ebay with the docking station and the full Kodak warranty for $393. Not too bad of a deal I'd say.

7. Bill Balcziak

Bill Balcziak Supporting Actor

8. Kevin Potts

Kevin Potts Second Unit

9. Erik_C

Erik_C Stunt Coordinator

Hey there. I had a Kodak DC280 digital camera for awhile. If you don't know any better, it's fine. But I will never buy another Kodak digital camera. Their jpeg algorithm is messed up. Flat surfaces look blocky, even with minimal compression. You can't avoid it, and it's there on every single Kodak digital camera I've ever used or seen pictures from. It gets very, very annoying. I bought a Nikon Coolpix 950, which has the same megapixel resolution as the Kodak 280, and have been taking gorgeous pictures ever since. There is not one thing the Nikon Coolpix line trails in compared to the Kodaks. For the money you're talking about, pick up the Nikon Coolpix 775. it's much better than the comparable Kodak.

-Erik

10. WoodyH

WoodyH Stunt Coordinator

Erik -

11. PatrickM

PatrickM Screenwriter

I agree with Woody. The new DX line, of which I own the 3900, does not exhibit this issues you speak of. I have compared my shots with my brothers CoolPix 950 and the picture quality is identical. I have printed out many digital photos and they compare very well to my SLR in terms of grain and resolution. They still can't beat the SLR in terms of focus, etc. but its not a fair comparison to compare a point and shoot to a SLR.

Patrick

12. Erik_C

Erik_C Stunt Coordinator

Hey guys:
    Don't get me wrong. There's alot to like in Kodak digital cameras. Their color is as good as anything out there. But for me, being the picky guy I am, the jpeg noise was too much. It's been noted in reviews, too. See http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/kodakdc280/page8.asp
    for the best example I've found.
    And I did look at your pictures, and the noise is there. It's kinda like SVM: once you know what to look for, you can't not see it when it's there.
    Best,
    -Erik

13. WoodyH

WoodyH Stunt Coordinator

14. Stephen L

Stephen L Second Unit

Kevin , the 3700 has no optical zoom. Don't buy a digi cam without that feature ,digital zoom alone isn't any good.

15. Stephen L

Stephen L Second Unit

Oops just noticed you already purchased the camera.:b Nevermind the previous post & goodluck.

16. Andrea W

Andrea W Supporting Actor

One of the best things I like about my Kodak DC290, is it's support for the Digita OS. I have Doom loaded on my camera (just because I can):
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    For those of you who don't know about Digita, it's an operating system designed specifically for Imaging based devices which allows users to write (and/or download) scripts which enhance the functionality of their device.
    BTW, there is also a MAME emulator for Digita (you know, those old arcade games). Click here to see Donkey Kong loaded on a DC260.
    I'm also fairly happy with my DC290 overall. After talking about 75 Santa pictures at my daughter's preschool, I started having trouble with the flash (it wouldn't go off). After I powered down the camera for a few minutes, it was okay again. But still kind of annoying. So I bought an external flash, which made a world of difference. I also should mention that I have a 256 meg compact flash card and always take pictures in best mode.
    I've owned a Kodak DC260 and currently a DC290. All in all I'm happy with Kodak digital cameras. If I were in the market today, though, I would take a serious look at the Canon PowerShot G2.

17. Eve T

Eve T Supporting Actor

I have a Kodak dx3500 I've not had it for long but I've been quite happy with it's quality thus far.

Eve