What's new

Klipsh 5.1 kit at Costco for $299 (1 Viewer)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Looks perfect for a computer or console setup
8E1814C5-A732-4806-BA7C-0E9F5A55E1D5.jpeg

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Is that actually a great deal?

Maybe I should buy that for my workstation area and just set it up w/ my nearly 20-yo Yamaha AVR that actually has never been used for its amp section before -- maybe good for my increasing daytime streaming there and some sporadic gaming perhaps...

_Man_

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
If only it wasn't Klipsch.

LOL - I use their 2.1 system for my office computer and it's decent. I'm not a gamer or anything but for casual music and Netflix it gets the job done.

Sale ends tomorrow, 8/22.
These go on and off sale every few months and Costco is the perfect place to try them out as they offer true no-hassle returns.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
It’s fine as a step up computer setup. Can you buy a really kickass computer setup? Sure. Can you build a better ensemble for $300. Not easily.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Is there a reason why that's a bad thing besides your own personal snobbiness?
Fair enough. It could also be my acquired resistance to relentless marketing and enough experience to know good from bad. I have owned Klipsch. In fact, I owned some Klipsch (the original Forté) which were actually pretty decent. Much better than the mass-marketed stuff that is their mainstream today. They do still make most of their good speakers, under their Heritage line, but the prices for them today (The Forté was $3,500 the last time I checked. They were $800 when I bought them.) which cost a lot more than they're worth. Call me a snob if you want. Its not the first time and it certainly won't be the last. They are 98% marketing. They are the new Bose, and they are remarkably successful at it. Salespeople cram them down customer's throats and often refuse to even demonstrate anything else. I hear about it over and over. I suspect their spiffs (aka: commissions) are through the roof to accomplish this. You can get significantly better speakers for the same price. In fact, you can get significantly better speakers for less. Listen to KEF. Listen to Paradigm. Listen to ELAC. That's only a tiny sampling of the options that simply put Klipsch to shame, for the same $ or less .

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
BTW, my comment was serious, but also a little in jest. I certainly wasn’t seeking any personal slams. I’ve explained myself and don’t plan to continue the discussion here. Maybe someday in a more suitable thread.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Fair enough. It could also be my acquired resistance to relentless marketing and enough experience to know good from bad. I have owned Klipsch. In fact, I owned some Klipsch (the original Forté) which were actually pretty decent. Much better than the mass-marketed stuff that is their mainstream today. They do still make most of their good speakers, under their Heritage line, but the prices for them today (The Forté was $3,500 the last time I checked. They were $800 when I bought them.) which cost a lot more than they're worth. Call me a snob if you want. Its not the first time and it certainly won't be the last. They are 98% marketing. They are the new Bose, and they are remarkably successful at it. Salespeople cram them down customer's throats and often refuse to even demonstrate anything else. I hear about it over and over. I suspect their spiffs (aka: commissions) are through the roof to accomplish this. You can get significantly better speakers for the same price. In fact, you can get significantly better speakers for less. Listen to KEF. Listen to Paradigm. Listen to ELAC. That's only a tiny sampling of the options that simply put Klipsch to shame, for the same $ or less .
When Klipsch acquired Energy, then more or less shoved them aside and replaced them at most retailers with Klipsch branded speakers, the writing was on the wall. I thought Klipsch sounded harsh when compared to Energy at the same price point.

John_Bilbrey

Second Unit
Klipsch has always sounded a bit bright for my tastes. But, after our recent (temporary) move, I was forced to pick up a sound bar for our living room as I couldn't set up our traditional setup at the new place. I ended up with the Cinema 400. It is actually very impressive for what I paid (found it on sale at a local retailer).

usmc1488

Auditioning
Real Name
Jason Musicant
I have this set up, it is a great piece of kit for family rooms etc. will it sound better than 2000+ towers and (2) sub set ups no. But it works great for daily surround sound viewing.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks