What's new

Klipsch KSW-12 (1 Viewer)

Jon Krangel

Stunt Coordinator
Recently, I put together my first HT. Because it was on a budget, I selected speakers from the Klipsch Synergy series, and an Onkyo 797 reciever. Specifically:

F L/R - SB-2

C - SC-1

S L/R - SS-1

Sub - KSW-12

My question regards the KSW-12 sub. Now that it is all installed, I listen to it, and my n00bee ears tell me it sounds pretty good. However, I keep reading all over this forum and others that people are reserving thousands of dollars for subwoofers, and calling $1200 subs "budget"! Am I missing something here? Also, why dont I ever hear Klipsch mentioned as a reccomended brand for subs or speakers? Do they have a bad history or reputation? I know it's a but late, but I'd still like to know why it seems like I'm the only person to ever by Klipsch

Thanks

Jon

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
You are not alone in your love of all things Klipsch. Some people have a lot of money to throw around, and since the sub is such a high-buck piece, you hear things like that. I was perfectly happy with my Optimus boomer for 4 years before I upgraded.

Klipsch's reputation is solid. Not to worry. According to audioreview.com you have a stellar set.

Some people don't like horn-loaded tweeters.

Enjoy the set!

- CM

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
A lot of people really like Klipsch horns (but some can't stand them). Their Synergy and Reference lines are generally highly regaurded.

A while back when I bought my first real system I purchased 4 of the KSB1.1 Synergy Monitors with a SC1 center (still using them). I was then going to get a KSW10. I compared it to a Paradigm PDR10. I bought the PDR10. Klipsch makes great speakers, but generally their subs just don't compete with what else is out there for the price.

A good sub can make a huge difference with movie sound tracks. I recently replaced my PDR10 with a DIY Tempest Sonosub. Night and day difference, huge improvement.

Bobby T

Supporting Actor
I did the same thing. 4 KSB1.1, 2 SC1(one for rear center), and a Paradigm PDR12 sub forthe same reason. I also don't think Kilpsch subs are as good as others out there. I do love the sound of Klipsch speakers.

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
Don't tell me you got an Onkyo 575 too :p)
Now you just need to build a Tempest Sonosub :D

Andrew Beck

Stunt Coordinator
[font=http://beck.servebeer.com/ht.html]Matthew,

I have KSW-12 and although there are better sub choices, (i got a good deal on it when I bought a full klipsch system), for the money it's very good.

I don't want to sound like i'm degrading you, but are you sure you don't just prefer boomy bass? not that the klipsch isn't boomy, but mine is pretty flat all the way from 25Hz up to 80Hz (that's where my crossover is so i've never done much testing above that). The sounds you're describing from those other two subs sound more like boomy, overemphisized bass in the 40-60Hz range. I have no experience with that infinity, but I know the yamaha is like that.

of course you may have had a defective sub, I'm not sure. Did you ever play with the phase switch?
[/font]

Bobby T

Supporting Actor
Dustin, I have a Denon 2802 although I did seriously consider an Onkyo. I do have a Sony T.V. :D

James Bergeron

Supporting Actor
When I was looking for subs I didn't like the Klipsh subs because the port noise seemed VERY heavy, but that's just me.

Cam S

Screenwriter
I just recently Purchased a pair of RB-3's for surrounds, SC-3 II for the center, and RF-3 towers for the fronts. I also have the Klipsch KSW-10 sub, and am awfully happy with it, but for 100 bucks more I am gonna take it abck and upgrade to the KSW-12. Klipsch makes some dam good quality subs for the price, and the reference line is one of the best line of speakers out there (under a certain price point of course).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks