What's new

Klipsch icon wf series... 7.1 denon reciever (875 watts).... and a 10" klipsch synergy sub (1 Viewer)

fiszsandwich

Auditioning
Real Name
Joe Killian
I have

(1) Denon receiver avr-790

(2) wf-35 towers

(1) center vc-25

(2) vs-14...... 4-1/2" Surround Speakers (Pair) for the rear of the surround sound for the house

(1) 10" synergy subwoofer

(1) ps3 (my blu ray player)

I'm trying to optimize my sound for listening to music and then be able to switch it over to watch movies at best sound quality. I was trying to see whats best out there for some this set up. I also have heard of bi-amp. I don't know much about this but i want to get everything out of this set up as possible and not settle for less. If anyone could help i would greatly appreciate it. O ya I like to listen to all kinds of music but i do like my bass and for it to be heavy and clear sounding for rap to rock and even some techno.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Connect everything to the receiver using the standard method in the Denon user's manual. Calibration is the key to getting the most out of the sound system. And if you like bass, get a better sub.

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Re: Bi-Amping:

I wouldn't worry about bi-amping at this point (and possibly never, but that's my opinion). Bi-amping requires:

1) Speakers capable of supporting bi-amping - they generally have a second pair of binding post terminals on the back, connected (by default) to the first pair using some metal "straps".

2) One extra channel of amplificiation per speaker you wish to bi-amp.

Not sure if your speakers fit the first requirement, but the second requirement would mean getting an additional amplifier (you generally can't just re-route unused channels from your 7.1 reciever for bi-amping) and ensuring that your current receiver has pre-outs for the channels in question.

After spending all that money on compatible speakers and extra amplifiers, chances are you won't notice any earth-shattering differences in sound quality. Some folks will debate the merits of bi-amping, and while I won't get into any sort of philosophical discussion about it, I will say it's reasonably accurate to say that the differences (if they're there) will be relatively minor compared to the $$ outlay.

Simply not worth it, IMO.

Real Name
Dennis
Hi Jason and Group,

With my Denon AVR-3311CI and my Klipsch RF-82II Reference series speakers, I am contemplating going with either the Emotiva XPA-3 or XPA-5. The cost per Watt difference is leaning me to the XPA-5, since the XPA-3 is $1.17 per Watt, and the XPA-5 is $0.90 per Watt. Plus, the Power Supply in the XPA-5 is larger than the XPA-3, since it can produce 5 Channels at 200 Watts RMS per channel consistently. Besides that the Emotiva would then take most if not all the load off the Denon AVR, excluding the small dual SubWoofer pre-outs. Also, later if I decide to go up to 7 or 9 Channels, I could purchase another amp later or just drive all the Surrounds off of the Denon, the later being less costly and smaller rack space required.

What is your feeling about popping out another $900 for the XPA-5 or $700 for the XPA-3, and do you think I will feel/hear much of a difference in my 18' x 22' room with 12' ceilings? Am interested in what you would do?

So far, I have $2800 in Klipsch speakers (5+2), and $800 into Denon AVR - about 29% Amp to Spkr. ratio in dollars.

With another $900 into amping -- it would put me at around 61% Amp to Spkr. ratio in dollars.

Any suggestions here by all would be greatly appreciated.

Real Name
Dennis
Hi Joe,

Take a hard look at the Emotiva XPA-3 or XPA-5 amps at http://www.emotiva.com

If you go the XPA-3 route then just drive the Tower Fronts and the Center Channel with it, or if you go the XPA-5 route you could bi-amp fronts if your spkrs. support it giving you 400 Watts RMS for each front speaker, and still allow you to hook up the Center speaker at 200 Watts RMS, or probably better yet, drive all five speakers with the XPA-5 with each one being sourced at 200 Watts RMS!! The XPA-5 will give you 200 Watts RMS per Channel. The amps come with the trigger wire to connect from your Denon over to your Amp in so that when you turn on your Denon the Emotiva will come on also, and same for off mode. Just hookup your Pre-Amps out off of the Denon over to the Emotiva amp, and hook up speakers to Emotiva, and re-run Audessey calibration -- BINGO...If you like BASS, then take a hard look at the PA-150 (15" Sub -- about 85#) at $350 from Eric at Sound Distributors in Vegas (tell Eric Dennis referred you) -- http://www.sounddistributors.com

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks