What's new

Press Release Kino Press Release: Pufnstuf (1970) (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Due to limited bandwidth, we usually don't feature CODE RED releases, but this one looked interesting and I wanted to broadcast that it's coming out later this year.

199779541_1442260836117131_5177892466229036465_n.jpg

UNIVERSAL PICTURES / KNIO LORBER / Code Red present HR PUFNSTUF THE MOVIE ! 1971 Mondo classic with JACK WILD, BILLIE HAYES as Witchie Pooh, hot MAMA CASS ELLIOT!”

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Perhaps, one day, they’ll have a future need to change the title to H.D.R. Pufnstuf. :D

Last edited:

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Due to limited bandwidth, we usually don't feature CODE RED releases, but this one looked interesting and I wanted to broadcast that it's coming out later this year.

View attachment 100128

UNIVERSAL PICTURES / KNIO LORBER / Code Red present HR PUFNSTUF THE MOVIE ! 1971 Mondo classic with JACK WILD, BILLIE HAYES as Witchie Pooh, hot MAMA CASS ELLIOT!”
I don't understand. What do you mean by "limited bandwidth?" BTW: It's a good film

Reactions: PMF

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
I don't understand. What do you mean by "limited bandwidth?" BTW: It's a good film
I made my mom take me to see this ... if you like the show it's entertaining others may have to be puffin some "stuff" for some enjoyment before watching ... please note the original year of the film's release :cool: ...

The always accurate IMDb says the OAR was 1.85 (It would have been shot protected for subsequent TV airings).

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein

There are lots of small labels out there. For me to sit here and advertise their releases and preorder availabilities would take up enormous bandwidth in the threads. Therefore, I stick mainly to major studio release coverage as well as a few boutique labels.

CODE RED would normally not be one of those labels I would cover here.

However, there are two things at play...

First, I recognized that PUFNSTUF was a significant show for many of us growing up.

Secondly, I just realized while CODE RED is doing the prep work, it is KINO that will be releasing it, so I will change the header in the title to reflect that.

Question...

What came first? Was H.R. PUFNSTUF a TV show based on this movie or was this made on the popularity of the TV show (in the same way the 60s BATMAN feature was)?

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
There are lots of small labels out there. For me to sit here and advertise their releases and preorder availabilities would take up enormous bandwidth in the threads. Therefore, I stick mainly to major studio release coverage as well as a few boutique labels.

First, I recognized that PUFNSTUF was a significant show for many of us growing up.

Secondly, I just realized while CODE RED is doing the prep work, it is KINO that will be releasing it, so I will change the header in the title to reflect that.

Question...

What came first? Was H.R. PUFNSTUF a TV show based on this movie or was this made on the popularity of the TV show (in the same way the 60s BATMAN feature was)?
The TV show came first. This was a cashgrab as the show was very popular and probably expensive. Just as with the Adam West Bat-Man film they could use the film's budget to help with the cost of the next season of the TV show.

The TV show was apparently sponsored by Kellogs ...
1623535331266.png

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I remember Martha Raye being interviewed on a show, and she was asked which movie was she proudest of since she had worked with some of the greats. She replied, "Pufnstuff." I couldn't believe it (thinking she'd choose Monsieur Verdoux or Jumbo).

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray

Question...

The film came later. It was somewhat a misnomer as the original voice actor for Pufnstuf could not be signed so Alvin Melvin did the vocals and the character was minimized. Still there was lots of good music like this from Mama Cass.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
The film came later. It was somewhat a misnomer as the original voice actor for Pufnstuf could not be signed so Alvin Melvin did the vocals and the character was minimized. Still there was lots of good music like this from Mama Cass.

That's interesting. Had no idea about that. So, different voice actor and they minimized the role of the character the movie title promoted.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
The TV show came first. This was a cashgrab as the show was very popular and probably expensive. Just as with the Adam West Bat-Man film they could use the film's budget to help with the cost of the next season of the TV show.

View attachment 100170
I wouldn't be surprised if Sid and Marty were also trying to get rid of surplus 35mm film stock by making this movie.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
I wouldn't be surprised if Sid and Marty were also trying to get rid of surplus 35mm film stock by making this movie.
...or Universal ... that was the rumor as to why The Munsters was in B&W even though the pilot was shot in color. Allegedly Universal had a "ton" of unused B&W stock and made a deal with CBS to do the show in B&W "for artistic purposes" ;)!

Of course that may have been convoluted with Dark Shadows which was allegedly created in B&W because the American Broadcasting Company didn't have money or time to convert all of their live/tape studios to color...

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
...or Universal ... that was the rumor as to why The Munsters was in B&W even though the pilot was shot in color. Allegedly Universal had a "ton" of unused B&W stock and made a deal with CBS to do the show in B&W "for artistic purposes" ;)!

Of course that may have been convoluted with Dark Shadows which was allegedly created in B&W because the American Broadcasting Company didn't have money or time to convert all of their live/tape studios to color...
This is probably true. ABC didn't have color videocameras even at Prospect St. until 1967.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member

View attachment 100170
The series only lasted one season which was pretty standard for all saturday morning shows very few ever got a 2nd or 3rd season but many of the popular ones were shown as reruns for another year or two. But you are probably correct that the money from this was probably used to helpf finance their next show which would have been Lidsville 1972

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks