What's new

king kong (1933)w/ deleted scenes & restored print in new jersey (1 Viewer)

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
I'm sorry to hear about your West Side Story experience, Brian. That's really sad. You'd think people would appreciate the lasting power of great filmmaking.

Ooh, but even thinking about those 1971 screenings of Kong makes me mad now, lo these many years since. One may as well laugh at all people from an earlier time.

Sorry to drag the thread off target.

Mitchell, I saw the Janus Films logo preceding some screenings of King Kong. I also saw the film in 35mm a number of times in 1976.

Jean-Michel

Supporting Actor
I think MGM could make a quick buck re-releasing West Side Story as a "Sing-A-Long Sound of Music" kind of thing.

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
does anybody know if this print will come to the UK as well
thanks to all for the info and the link to the FAQ
tremendous stuff
:D

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Oscar
I don't think so. The Loews Jersey theater is a landmark movie palace that is currently undergoing extensive restoration and has just recently in the last year or so, started showing films periodically.
As far as I know, King Kong was privately obtained to be shown at this theater and is not part of a new release pattern for the film.
I'm sure Pete or Mitchell will chime in soon with more accurate info.
I'm actually contemplating bringing my 5 year old nephew to this screening but am a bit hesitant. Then again, King Kong is the earliest film I remember seeing so perhaps it's a good idea.;)

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
Tino
Thanks for the info anyway. I guess I will wait until the DVD comes out as a plane ticket would be just a bit expensive for me to see a movie on the other side of the planet.
:D

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
I'm sure Pete or Mitchell will chime in soon with more accurate info.
Hey, that's me!

No, this is a regular repertory booking direct through Warner Bros. Classics division, not a private print. Bob has a good relationship with them to make sure they get good prints, but this version is available to any theatre that cares to book it.

King Kong is not currently on any specific re-release (unlike, for example, Lawrence of Arabia), so you should ask any local theatres that specialize in repertory product to try and get it. Next year is the 70th anniversary, so there will certainly be enough prints floating around.

Tino, bring him along! The more, the merrier - I'm bringing my seven-year-old with me (though he's seen it on LaserDisc before).

Bill Huelbig

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bill Huelbig
About what Jack Briggs and Brian W. said about audiences laughing at classic movies: I had a similar experience with VERTIGO at the time of the first big re-release in 1984. It was awful sitting there surounded by so-called sophisticated New Yorkers howling with laughter at one of my favorite films, one I hadn't seen in more than 10 years. One of their biggest laughs came when James Stewart carried Kim Novak out of San Francisco Bay because she still had her high-heeled shoes on. But there's a happy ending here: the audiences for classic movies must have grown up or something because in 1996, when the restored Harris/Katz 70mm version was released in that same city, the entire film played to a spellbound audience.

--Bill

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
Bill, the audiences that we've been getting at the Galaxy Theatre Big Screen Classics Series (www.bigscreenclassics.com) have been very respectful, as have the Loew's Jersey crowds. I was always concerned about that mentality, and I've been very pleasantly surprised.
We had over 700 people for FORBIDDEN PLANET at the Loew's last spring. With just a few exceptions, the audience was really good. However, there were some snickers during BRAIN FROM PLANET AROUS. I wonder why...
Bob Furmanek

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
The Kong footage was always derived from 35mm nitrate.

The quality problem was that it was originally duped dry gate, which exposed all of the scratches and wear.

This footage was cut into the Janus dupe neg at Guffanti Labs in New York.

It would be nice to see a proper restoration of Kong either based upon the European picture elements which are of higher quality and pre-date the domestic darkened dupes...

or by going back to the original negative, which I believe to exist, although outside of the current owner's vaults.

RAH

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Mr. Harris: Do any of your industry sources know if next year's King Kong DVD has been sourced from a restored print?
No pun, of course! :)
I am delighted to hear that a more mature audience attended the screening of the restored print. How can one laugh at what is arguably one of the ten, twenty best films ever made?
As for The Brain From Planet Arous: What a coincidence. I was looking at the DVD last weekend as part of a "Friday-night flicks" home-theater session. What a hoot!

Bill Huelbig

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bill Huelbig
When THE BRAIN FROM PLANET AROUS came to an end at the Loew's Jersey last spring, I turned to my friends and said, "That was better than A BEAUTIFUL MIND!" (which had just won the Best Picture Oscar). And I meant it! I should put it this way: if I had to choose only one of those two movies to take to a desert island, without any doubt it would be THE BRAIN.

--Bill

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks