Kieslowski's Decalogue Re-release

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brian PB, Feb 13, 2003.

1. Brian PB

Brian PB Supporting Actor

Now that Kieslowski's Three Colors Trilogy: Blue/White/Red (Region 1) is finally set to hit the street on March 4th, it appears that Facets will be re-releasing the eminent director's masterpiece, Decalogue as well.

In email from Facets cutomer service today, they said they tentatively plan to re-release it in March 2003 (although it hasn't been officially announced on the website), and that the new set will contain "re-edited subtitles and added bonus features".

For those of us who missed its first DVD (R1) incarnation, this is joyous news.

2. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

Hopefully, it will also include new transfers!

3. andrew markworthy

Excellent news - I was planning to get the R2 version of Dekalog, but given the superiority of the R1 version of The Colours [sorry, Colors] over the R2, I think I'll wait to see what the R1 has to offer.

4. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

5. Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese Producer

Peter Apruzzese

6. Steve Y

Steve Y Supporting Actor

As this is one of my most cherised DVDs, news of an improvement/upgrade doesn't upset me... too much. I hope it won't be as expensive as the first set (upon its first release: around $80!). It only really came down in price as it became scarce.

Maybe they'll also increase the number of discs in the set. Companies aren't really producing DVD-18 anymore.

I'm not going to get rid of the original set until I've thoroughly viewed/compared the new set, when/if it arrives. These "upgrades" can be occasionally disappointing.

Also can't wait for Blue/White/Red.

~s

7. Brian PB

I sent an inquiry to New Yorker Films last week & received this email replay today:

"Brian, The Decalogue will be re-released this year. I have no ideas as to the specs. We (New Yorker Video) will be releasing the film. I also don't have a specific date as to when but I think June or July is realistic based on the limited information I have."

So, it sounds encouraging, although the specs are still unknown (fingers crossed for a new transfer and some nice bonus materials). Start saving your money & stay tuned . . .[​IMG]

8. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

Does anyone have a better date for a re-release of Decalogue? I do want to want to see this set of short films.

I've seen 3 different versions offered on Ebay:

1. 2-disc version. I have to assume these are the dual-sides DVD-18 version? Also from Facets.

2. 3-disc version. The Facets release from last year.

3. 4-disc version. Region 0 bootleg?

9. EricW

EricW Cinematographer

a may/june rerelease (or even march2003) with a new transfer, and they're only announcing it now? has it been in the works for a while? it seems like a short window to me, but i'm only comparing to the major studios that announce it way ahead.

still, good news. hope the price is good too.

10. Brian PB

I posted the following in the Criterion Collection Forum last month:

I had written Facets in late February when I noticed late one night that they listed over 200 copies of the Decalogue DVD in stock(!). I received the following email reply:

"Our new stock of DVD DECALOGUEs has actually been cleaned out already by backorders which had already been placed for it.

Although we currently have no more copies of The Decalogue, we will definitely be releasing more copies sometime in the future. The release date is tentatively scheduled for March 2003. The new release of The Decalogue will feature re-edited subtitles and added bonus features."

Their website currently indicates "NOT YET RELEASED: - Release date to be announced". Although New Yorker is producing this DVD, it has never been listed on their website (except for the VHS version as an upcoming release). As an aside, see my post here regarding New Yorker's DVD track record.

To summarize:
    *Release has not been officially announced or scheduled.
    *Facets appears to be the only site with pre-release access & they are shipping small quantities (albeit at full retail--$79.99)
    *I still haven't seen the specs on this set, apart from the "re-edited subtitles and added bonus features". Is this a new transfer? (there were quibbles about the transfer of the previous Image release, though I recognize the source materials were not of theatrical quality to begin with)
    *Personally, I'm holding out for more information (& hopefully a discounted price).

Since then, glen_esq on the Rotten Tomatoes Discussion Board wrote on 3/10:

Has anyone else ordered & received this from Facets? Comments on quality?

11. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

On the Facets online ordering page, it says (for the DVD version): "NOT YET RELEASED: - Release date to be announced, Order Now!"

12. Brian PB

Yes, but it's said that for MONTHS . . .

13. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

Oops, sorry for opening up old wounds.

14. Ling.W

Ling.W Auditioning

New Yorker is releasing the same video for non-consumer market, while Facets is handling the consumer side.

People have been receiving their pre-orders since last week. Don't know if they will ever catch up with backorders to the point that it will appear in other vendors.

Facets is not a big company that could build and create tons of extra features, and the Decalogue was made for polish TV, so there isn't alot of behind-the-scenes or inside-look stuff available. It is not like the Three colors set, where most of the features pre-existed in other releases already before the Mirimax introduction.

15. Brian PB

glen_esq, posting in the Rotten Tomatoes Forum has received a copy of the New Yorker/Facets re-release of Decalogue and provides the following information in response to my query:

16. Ling.W

Ling.W Auditioning

Here is another review review on Kieslowski Forum by David B:

17. Brian PB

I sent Facets the following inquiry this week concerning Decalogue:

As a result, I broke down & ordered it (at full retail, no less--something I'm not accustomed to doing) today. I guess I don't understand why these sets are trickling out. Are they being produced individually by hand?

18. Ling.W

Ling.W Auditioning