What's new

Kieslowski's Decalogue Re-release (1 Viewer)

Brian PB

Supporting Actor
Now that Kieslowski's Three Colors Trilogy: Blue/White/Red (Region 1) is finally set to hit the street on March 4th, it appears that Facets will be re-releasing the eminent director's masterpiece, Decalogue as well.

In email from Facets cutomer service today, they said they tentatively plan to re-release it in March 2003 (although it hasn't been officially announced on the website), and that the new set will contain "re-edited subtitles and added bonus features".

For those of us who missed its first DVD (R1) incarnation, this is joyous news.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
Excellent news - I was planning to get the R2 version of Dekalog, but given the superiority of the R1 version of The Colours [sorry, Colors] over the R2, I think I'll wait to see what the R1 has to offer.

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Hopefully, it will also include new transfers!
Since they're promising new subtitles, there would have to be new transfers since the original release had subtitles that were part of the film print.

That alone would make it a worthy upgrade for me!

Steve Y

Supporting Actor
As this is one of my most cherised DVDs, news of an improvement/upgrade doesn't upset me... too much. I hope it won't be as expensive as the first set (upon its first release: around $80!). It only really came down in price as it became scarce.

Maybe they'll also increase the number of discs in the set. Companies aren't really producing DVD-18 anymore.

I'm not going to get rid of the original set until I've thoroughly viewed/compared the new set, when/if it arrives. These "upgrades" can be occasionally disappointing.

Also can't wait for Blue/White/Red.

~s

Brian PB

Supporting Actor
I sent an inquiry to New Yorker Films last week & received this email replay today:

"Brian, The Decalogue will be re-released this year. I have no ideas as to the specs. We (New Yorker Video) will be releasing the film. I also don't have a specific date as to when but I think June or July is realistic based on the limited information I have."

So, it sounds encouraging, although the specs are still unknown (fingers crossed for a new transfer and some nice bonus materials). Start saving your money & stay tuned . . .:)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Does anyone have a better date for a re-release of Decalogue? I do want to want to see this set of short films.

I've seen 3 different versions offered on Ebay:

1. 2-disc version. I have to assume these are the dual-sides DVD-18 version? Also from Facets.

2. 3-disc version. The Facets release from last year.

3. 4-disc version. Region 0 bootleg?

EricW

Senior HTF Member
a may/june rerelease (or even march2003) with a new transfer, and they're only announcing it now? has it been in the works for a while? it seems like a short window to me, but i'm only comparing to the major studios that announce it way ahead.

still, good news. hope the price is good too.

Brian PB

Supporting Actor
I posted the following in the Criterion Collection Forum last month:

I had written Facets in late February when I noticed late one night that they listed over 200 copies of the Decalogue DVD in stock(!). I received the following email reply:

"Our new stock of DVD DECALOGUEs has actually been cleaned out already by backorders which had already been placed for it.

Although we currently have no more copies of The Decalogue, we will definitely be releasing more copies sometime in the future. The release date is tentatively scheduled for March 2003. The new release of The Decalogue will feature re-edited subtitles and added bonus features."

Their website currently indicates "NOT YET RELEASED: - Release date to be announced". Although New Yorker is producing this DVD, it has never been listed on their website (except for the VHS version as an upcoming release). As an aside, see my post here regarding New Yorker's DVD track record.

To summarize:
*Release has not been officially announced or scheduled.
*Facets appears to be the only site with pre-release access & they are shipping small quantities (albeit at full retail--$79.99)
*I still haven't seen the specs on this set, apart from the "re-edited subtitles and added bonus features". Is this a new transfer? (there were quibbles about the transfer of the previous Image release, though I recognize the source materials were not of theatrical quality to begin with)
*Personally, I'm holding out for more information (& hopefully a discounted price).

Since then, glen_esq on the Rotten Tomatoes Discussion Board wrote on 3/10:

Has anyone else ordered & received this from Facets? Comments on quality?

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
On the Facets online ordering page, it says (for the DVD version): "NOT YET RELEASED: - Release date to be announced, Order Now!"

Ling.W

Auditioning
New Yorker is releasing the same video for non-consumer market, while Facets is handling the consumer side.

People have been receiving their pre-orders since last week. Don't know if they will ever catch up with backorders to the point that it will appear in other vendors.

Facets is not a big company that could build and create tons of extra features, and the Decalogue was made for polish TV, so there isn't alot of behind-the-scenes or inside-look stuff available. It is not like the Three colors set, where most of the features pre-existed in other releases already before the Mirimax introduction.

Ling.W

Auditioning
Here is another review review on Kieslowski Forum by David B:

This is it: a new version from Facets that has extras and I believe a slightly better picture quality than the previous edition(I'm unable to do a comparison, but it seemed much cleaner and sharper than what I saw previously on video).
Disc 1: "Roger Ebert on The Decalogue" a 15min introduction by Roger Ebert. From the back of the box:"Informaive and helpful, this onscreen introduction summarizes the impact of the series and then points out key moments in individual episodes that resonate with meaning". The copyright on this is 2001.

Decalogue 1-3

Disc 2: Decalogue 4-7

Disc 3: Decalogue 8-10

"On the Set of the Decalogue", three minute documentary on the making of the decalogue. "Kieslowski answers questions while on the set during the production of The Decalogue. Hear the director describe his masterpiece in his own words." Copyright 1988.

"Kieslowski Meets the Press" a 41 min documentary. "The director responds to questions and statements from the entertainment press in this interview program made for Polish television. Kieslowski discusses The Decalogue, reveals his artistic process and ponders moral queries tossed to him by reporters." Copyright1988

"Kieslowski:Known and Unknown" a 15 min documentary. "Colleagues and friends offer insights and observations about Kieslowski in this remembrance produced after the director's death. Among those interviewed are cast and crew members from The Decalogue, including actors Artur Barcis and Maria Pakulnis and cinematographer Piotr Sobocinski. Other members of the Polish film industry, including director Krzyszstof Zanussi, remark on his influence and contributions." Copyright 1998.

The set also comes with a booklet, which contains "An Introduction by Krzysztof Kieslowski", which is a reprint of the introduction from the published screenplay. Copyright 1991. There is also "Heaven: An Interview with Krzysztof Piesiewicz", in which Piesiewicz talks about the origins of the Decalaogue. It's an article, rather than a traditional Q&A(which I would have preferred). Copyright 2002

Each disc contains a different humorous ad for Facets, involving three cardplayers who are discussing film.

One of the disappointments, is that the subtitles cannot be removed. Also, the two, "A Short Film About...." are not on there, but I wasn't expecting them to be. I would have liked to have seen the BBC documentary, "A Short Film About Kieslowski(I think that was the title) on the disc, but it isn't included. It would have been nice to see "Krzysztof Kieslowski:I'm So-So" which is included in some foreign releases as an extra(obviously, not included here.)

I'm just happy to have "The Decalogue" on DVD! I think the extras will add to the pleasure of watching the films.

If you have any other questions, feel free to post a response and I'll do my best to answer them.

I forgot to mention that each film has an individual scene selection option, with nine chapters.

Brian PB

Supporting Actor
I sent Facets the following inquiry this week concerning Decalogue:

As a result, I broke down & ordered it (at full retail, no less--something I'm not accustomed to doing) today. I guess I don't understand why these sets are trickling out. Are they being produced individually by hand?

Ling.W

Auditioning
As a result, I broke down & ordered it (at full retail, no less--something I'm not accustomed to doing) today. I guess I don't understand why these sets are trickling out. Are they being produced individually by hand?
So does this mean that if you order now, you will have to wait until august for the next shipment?

It doesn't make too much sense with the supply and demand, unless they have so much backorder that it will take unti August for them to catch up. Either that or they want to have some exclusive for the first 6 months or so in which they would avoid the middlemen and keep their share of the profit.

I heard people getting Facets' last release of Decalogue for twenty some dollars when it was being cleared out.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks