What's new

Kids and summer activities (1 Viewer)

LanieParker

Supporting Actor
Both my girls have been asking me and my husband if we will sign them up for summer programs and we have been going through those booklets we get through the school to find things for them to do.

My oldest wants to do soccer. I found her a league that was not very expensive. It's something she has been wanting to do for a while now. My youngest is the budding artist and wants to do some sort of art class, but all the art classes through parks and rec we have done before and they don't really teach much. The ones offered through schools are really pricey ($80 a week, one class a week). We talked with her and told her that we really can't afford that right now, but she could choose something else. She picked horse riding lessons. So I looked into those and boy are they expensive.

I feel bad telling her she can't do the things she really wants. I don't want her to miss out on maybe doing something she could be really great at. WE had to talk with her again and tell her that horse riding lessons would have to wait. So now she want to do gymnastics, but I think it's more that she doesn't want to do it, but she knows it's what we can afford.

They are both signed up for swim team as well and that is something they both are interested in. So I am glad she has atleast that right now, but I feel bad not being able to give her the lessons she really wants.

Maybe I can sell my soul to the devil.....

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
Sign 'em up for karate. its usually less than $100/month. And the uniforms are alot cheaper than Hockey uniforms

Seth--L

Screenwriter
Is there a local museum your daughter could volunteer at for the summer? Not exactly art class, but she'd be in that type of environment and would probably learn more. Or maybe a local artist should could apprentice for?

In general, if she's old enough, volunteer work is a great inexpensive summer activity, and looks good on a resume.

LanieParker

Supporting Actor
Well, Karate is out, only because my husband teaches kungfu. lol. Plus, my girls show no interest in kungfu or any martial arts at this time.

Today we went to this great indoor pull where they are going to be doing swim team twice a week. We got to watch a swim meet and they both seemed really excited about it. So maybe this will make not being able to do art or horse riding easier.

I just want to make sure I give them every opportunity to try things out and to see what they really like. When I was younger I was always invilved in sports and drama and different activiites. Money is an issue, but I can always work around that I guess.

Oh yeah and for the person who mention interning or volunteering... my little artist is only 5 years old, so I don't think that is an option, although it is a good iea for an older kid.

Kenneth

Supporting Actor
You could always try the local elementary school. Sometimes the teachers will tutor or do special projects with kids during the summer to earn a little extra money. You might want to check with some of the kindergarden and first grade teachers and see if they are interested in working with your little one on her art.

Another option might be advertising with the high school. Perhaps there are some art students or future teachers who might work with your daughter a few hours a week at a reasonable rate.

Kenneth

Lynda-Marie

Supporting Actor
Have you thought of looking into Girl Scouts or Campfire Girls? Both organizations are more than JUST camping out or selling cookies/candies.

I was a Girl Scout, and it's changed a bit since my time [1970s era] but there were all sorts of different activities we were had, including camping, sewing, photograpy, skating and various art mediums.

LanieParker

Supporting Actor
Girlscouts was something I really wanted to do with my girls. My mother did GS with us and we had so much fun together. She became a troup leader and I loved hanging out with her and camping and doing all the activities we did.

Unfortunately, the area I live in has a GS program that isn't at all what I thought it would be. At the meeting I attended, the leaders said that they encouraged parents to drop kids off for meetings and outings. Most of the moms at the meeting talked about going out for manicures and coffee while the kids were at meetings and on trips. I actually wanted to get involved to do more things with my girls.

The leaders said not having the parents there helped the kids to focus more and we would be more of a distraction if we were there.

I was not happy about that at all, so we didn't sign up.

I'm actually looking into 4H for my girls right now. They have a 4H horse group that meets up close by and my daughter may enjoy that.

THanks for all the suggestions everyone!

Michael Toguchi

Stunt Coordinator
My daughter (10) is in Girl Scouts, but it helps that my wife is the Troop Leader. She is finding it hard to get the other parents to participate in the events and getting them to volunteer is like pulling teeth. She is enjoying the experience though, but I don't know how long it will last.

As for finding summer activities, my daughter is extremely fickle. She sees no interest in anything, and when she does raise some interest it doesn't seem to last very long (she is in fencing right now, but that is starting to fade). She had a really good time at Girl Scouts summer day camp last year, so we are doing it again this year. $150 a week though, plus $35 a week for the bus...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks