What's new

Kenwood VR-510 as a pre-pro? (1 Viewer)

David Susilo

Screenwriter
Now, Now, Vin... Mike is already doing us a lot of favour, don't push him further (please read this in a tone of a very old granny) :)
BTW, thank you very much, Mike, for your effort. I wish I live in the US where you can buy and return without too much of a hassle. I've tried it with Futureshop and Brick, and there were too much hassle for me to buy anything to return them later. Maybe it's just those stores near my area. sigh.

Michael De Costa

Stunt Coordinator
Actually, that's a pretty good idea. I should take it home and give it my own personal test run. If I was going to do that, I might as well do it right. I would also then take the Onkyo 595 home too to get a good comparison. The sales guy did get me thinking about Yamaha.
rolleyes.gif
I never really looked into them..... My big problem is, that I am very impatient. When I see something I want, I want it that very moment or shortly thereafter. I do tend to do a lot of research before making decisions but once the fire starts, it's hard to put out. I am sure there are plenty of others in this forum who share this trait. When it comes to home theater, there is not much I won't do. Or should I say, at least consider.
------------------
At my singnal, unleash HELL.......

Vin

Supporting Actor
The only thing with the Yamaha is that you won't get DPL II......which happens to be the reason I've been considering only the newer Onkyos and Kenwoods. I'm still trying to justify the upgrade (for what many have said is just a so-so feature anyway) so I may just hold off on this purchase for a while.
BTW, last weekend I was in Circuit City looking at the Kenwood VR-507 and the Onkyo 595. The salesman came over to help me
eek.gif
and when I told him I was interested in those two receivers because I want DPL II. His reply was, "all of our Dolby Digital receivers have DPL too".
He then proceeded to tell me that the Onkyo (which was $200 more than the Kenwood) was better "because it's discrete and the Kenwood isn't".
I just bit my tongue and walked out........
------------------

Evan A

Stunt Coordinator
The truth is most reail salesmen are stupid. They don't know their product. I had someone at the goodguys do the same thing to me. Don't bite your lip. It is not like they know the truth, tell them, correct them and make them better salesmen.
------------------
--------------------
Evan Adams
[email protected]
--------------------

Evan A

Stunt Coordinator
I think Kenwood had bad products in the past. I find it intreging that now it is takeing a lot of time to see kenwood info form reviewers. Shows how brand loyal HT people are.
------------------
--------------------
Evan Adams
[email protected]
--------------------

Jeff Leigh

Agent
The VR-510 does not have Universal Video. I tried it myself just to make sure, but no go. The reason Kenwood doesn't list it as a feature is because it isn't one.
Only the two Sovereign line receivers have this feature.
------------------

Jeff Leigh

Agent
This is really my first A/V receiver, but so far I'm been very pleased with it. It had the features I wanted with the amount of inputs/outputs I needed at a very good price. BTW, I've never heard any hissing noises when playing DD or DTS tracks.
------------------

David Susilo

Screenwriter
Thank you guys for the input, unfortunately, due to financial contraint, I have to put off this purchase, especially after my 16:9 direct-view and a prog-scan player (oh, and a house too).
I gotta buy stuff for my recording studio so I can (hopefully) make more money before I can spend any amount on entertainment.
Wish me luck, guys!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TVonDVDCollector
Recent bookmarks