What's new

Kenwood Sovereign VR-5700 or JVC RX-DP10V receiver? Help! (1 Viewer)

Louis Rene Matte

Auditioning
Greetings,
I'm 48 hours away from a purchase and would like to know what you all think.
I've narrowed down to Kenwood's new Sovereign VR-5700 receiver http://www.kenwoodusa.com/product/pr...&productId=755 or JVC's RX-DP10V receiver http://www.jvc.com/product.jsp?model...L005006&page=2 , both of which are THX Ultra certified, capable of passing HDTV (1080i, hopefully) through the component video switching, and have 6.1 decoders (minimum).
The JVC is capable of 7.1 surround with 192khz/24-bit, but it does not have Dolby Pro-Logic II.
There's also Onkyo's TX-DS898 receiver http://www.onkyousa.com/show_model.c...ers&m=TX-DS898 which is similar in features and price (approx. $1500.00 US).
I need to make a decision rather quickly but I'm torn between these models.
Your help and guidance will once again be appreciated, thanks!
Louis Link Removed
[Edited last by Louis Rene Matte on October 10, 2001 at 09:43 PM]

Selden Ball

Second Unit
Real Name
Selden
Louis,
There may be a few things you overlooked:
In addition to DPL-II, the Kenwood receiver seems to have several features missing from the JVC receiver.
1) The 5700 transcodes between video formats: a composite video input can be viewed on the component outputs, for example. The DP10 doesn't.
2) The 5700 has 7 coaxial & 7 optical digital audio inputs. The DP10 has only 1 coaxial and 4 optical. Coax is generally considered to be better than optical.
The Onkyo receiver seems to be in between: (it has DPL-II) it upconverts composite to s-video (but apparently not to component) and has 3 coax inputs & 5 optical. However, it does seem to have a slightly more conservatively rated power ouput than either of the others: 110W 20-20K at 8 Ohms instead of 120W at 1KHz at 6 Ohms. I don't know how this translates into real-world performance, however.
Of the 3, I'd probably get the Kenwood because of the component transcoding.
I hope this helps a little.
------------------
Selden

Bryan Acevedo

Second Unit
I am a Denon guy, but I was looking at an ad in S&V for the Kenwood Sovereign line - it looks pretty cool.
If you get the Kenwood, you could link it up with their hub and DVD mega changer etc. The ad featured the 5900, but I assume the 5700 can do most of what the 5900 does. It looks like a pretty impressive system.
I would say go with the Kenwood.
My .02.
Bryan

Shane Acker

Agent
I have one of last years models, the VR-4090B and I can tell you the upconversion between video sources has to be one of the coolest feature to hit A/V receivers in recent times. I love the idea of the Entre' hub and convergence with the internet and a pc.
------------------
Shane Acker
My Home Theater EquipmentList

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks