What's new

Kenwood 6.5" sub not working good (1 Viewer)

Kenny-

Auditioning
Hi guys, I just got my Kenwood Fineline HTB-610 Home theater up and running and overall I like it.

However, the I'm having an issue w/ the 6.5" Sub. I was watching Lord of the Rings Return of the King in Dolby D and the Sub had some bad distortion at times. It sounded like the woofer was maxing all the way out and the sound was awful. I had the reciever on about 25DB, but it does it at 30DB also. I had the Sub DB level at 0 on the Reciever. I did have the volume control on the sub turned all the way up, but it still did it w/ the Volume on half way.

The Kenwood Reciever is a 500 watt reciever and the sub is 100w. It is a single rca hookup from the sub to the reciever and I have a Monster cable sub RCA running to it.

Other movies don't seem to cause the problem. Was the bass from Lord of the Rings to deep for the 6.5"? It's frequency range is 35hz- 200hz.

I'm already thinking of upgrading to a larger more high quality sub.

BrianWoerndle

Supporting Actor
LOTR has a lot of bass. It is extreamly hard on subwoofers. Even a single SVS was not enough in my theater. I had to get a 2nd sub to properly reproduce LOTR at reference level.

A 6.5" sub is small, so it has to have a high excursion to begin with, and it is just being pushed too hard. You have everything set up right, you just need a better quality sub.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
LOTR has bass into the 9-10Hz range, IIRC. I think you hit the nail on the head - the sub is trying to reproduce frequencies that are beyond it's range.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks