What's new

JVC vs. Sony DVD players? (1 Viewer)

NarendraSharma

Auditioning
Hi,
Does anyone know what is a better buy, JVC's XV-N50BK or Sony's DVP-NS725P? I have the JVC right now, and I like it, but I still have time to return it and get another dvd player. A couple of times the JVC would pause in the middle of a movie, then either resume a few minutes later or just completly freeze. Should I just exchange it for another JVC or get the Sony?
Thanks

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
If you like the JVC already, just swap out for a different unit. When the thing pauses, is it really for minutes or could this simply be the player dealing with a disc's layer change?

NarendraSharma

Auditioning
Its really for minutes! I was watching the first episode of Mr. Bean on dvd and in the middle of it, it froze and I had to shut down the dvd player.

JimmyK

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim
For what's it's worth, I know a few people with Sony DVD players and they have never had any problems like you mentioned.

My general impression from reading many, many posts, is that Sony players are generally more reliable and have fewer quirks/problems like you mentioned than JVC players.

I do not have any experience with the particular models you mentioned, so cannot comment on particulars such as performance/picture/sound quality.

Hope this helps.

JimmyK

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
I have a 'vintage' (yeah, right; circa 1998) Sony DVD player, the DVP-S530, and I've never had a problem with it. My brother has the S330 (same as S530 minus the on-board decoder), and it's running strong. I have a DVP-NS315 in the office, used to entertain the clientele; we abuse this thing, and we haven't had any problems with it sofar.

Mark Hedges

Second Unit
Some of the earlier Sony DVD players are notorious for developing "No Disk" errors after about a year but the current models seem OK. I have a Sony DVP-NC655 and am very pleased with it. Very nice picture, especially in progressive, although the chroma bug is present on close inspection. CD playback is quite good too. It handles dirty rental disks very well. I have only had one skip and it looked like someone sneezed on it (from then on I look at all rental DVD's before I put them in the machine).

John Di Lauro

Stunt Coordinator
I have a JVC player that is over 2 years old and still going strong. I've played over 150 rental disks on it and the only one it had trouble with looked like it had been run over a belt sander.

On the other hand, my sister has a Sony S330 which is about 3.5 years old and it is still running perfectly, although I don't think it has seen the use my JVC has.

From my experience they both make a solid entry-level player. I don't think you can go wrong either way, so choose the one whose features and user interface you like the best. Good luck!

John

NarendraSharma

Auditioning
What about this chroma bug thing?
I've heard elsewhere that Sony can be notorious for it. Is there a way to check online somewhere?

DavidES

Stunt Coordinator
This should help explain the CUE bug you are talking about. Great site BTW.

This might have your player listed.

Hope it helps.

NarendraSharma

Auditioning
Thanks to everyone who replied.
I ended up just exchanging it for the same one because I grew attached to it, not to mention I didnt see any more value in the Sony.

If anything happens, I have a year to return/exchange it :)

CurtisC

Second Unit
Its a good thing you can return,I never had a jvc last a year,723gd and 501 I think,3 months and 7 months,never again.

CurtisC

Second Unit
Narendra,me too,not true,they did long ago make decent stuff.Now avr's and dvd players are shameful,imo.The 723 I bought less than a year ago,jvc's $900.00 retail player,the 501 two years ago 500.00 player,ha! Good luck!

David Susilo

Screenwriter
Same here, 2 JVC players, both failed within 3 months of purchase. However, I have the same problem with Toshiba, 3 of them, died within 3 months of purchase.

My very first ever Panasonic DVD-A100 died after a week of usage, then Panasonic replaced the player with a DVD-A300 which still going on strong since April 1997.

My Pioneers die after about 15 months of usage, Pioneer Elite still playing after 4 years, Sony keeps on playing after 3 years, and two other Panasonics still strong after 23 months of usage.

The point of my post? I dunno, just like listing things.

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
Narendra

I was digging around looking for personal user info on the JVC you had problems with and returned for a new one.

How is the new JVC player doing now and how much usage has it been getting?

Are you using Pro-Scan or Interlaced on a 4.3 set.

My Toshi is finally on it's last legs (3+ years and many many discs) and looking for a new cheap replacement.

The JVC XV-N50BK and it's Silver brother seem to be getting excellent reviews with very very few reporting problem/s.
I'm currently looking at the JVC-50 and the Pioneer DV-363. Both have the features I am looking for and what user reviews I have found, both seem to do very well at their price point. The Pioneer can be had cheaper by 20.00 bucks or so, but it really makes no difference.
Just prefer the player that seems to perform well & seems to hold up the best. As far as lasting, their both pretty fresh released players so time will only tell on durability.

Any info on how your JVC player is doing would be appreciated.

Regards
Geoff

NarendraSharma

Auditioning
Hey Geoff,

My JVC XV-N50BK is doing GREAT! Turns out that the store got a bad batch of the dvd player.

I use it fairly often actually, probably 3-4 times a week to watch movies, or tv shows(FAMILY GUY!)

I'm definately using progressive scan because i have a high definition tv(16:9), but i did use it on my 4:3 tv with progressive scan as well, and i did notice a difference.

I have it connected with component video cable, and an optical audio cable.

I'm a big fan of the menus of the dvd player, as well as the remote. Both easy to use. Not to mention the cool blue light that comes on. And its really thin and lightweight, which is good because i have it on top of my receiver.

It also loads up dvds really fast. I havent really tried too many other dvd players, but from what i hear, this is one of the fastest. Not to mention it is region-free, and plays a variety of formats, but i think that pioneer does the same.

I dont know if the pioneer lets you do this, but you can switch from interlaced to progressive scan with a touch of a button on the remote. There is a small LED on the dvd player that shows a certain color depending on if you have it on interlaced or progressive, which is also pretty cool.

I'd definately recommend this player if you were considering buying it. I havent had any problems with it since the exchange.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
Thanks for the reply and your user info really appreciate it.

Yes the Pioneer 363 dose just about everything the JVC dose and vice versa. The 363's zoom, which I'm not positive, is probley like their other players. It dose work in both pause and play, but starts out at 2x then 4x. Much prefer the JVC 1/8 on up.

I would highly recommend that you remove the player from the top of your receiver. It's making it hard for the receiver to cool itself and the heat rising is going directly to the bottom of the JVC and cause it to run much warmer than it should.
I've seen many do this and they/you may continue to get away with no problems with either the receiver or dvd player. But bottom line, heat build up is not good for componets and the poor JVC would be much happier some where other than it's current home.

If your receiver runs ice cold no problem, but I've yet to see one that dose not create some type of heat.

=====>
Dose the JVC have real screw in feet or molded to the player?
And what color are they black, gold, or silver?
=====>

Every pic I've seen won't allow me to see the players feet.

Again thanks for your info and it pretty much matches everyhing other reviewers have wrote about it.
And yes, it is said to be the fastest DVD loader or at the least one of the fastest. 4-seconds with a single layer disc right to the menu or first chapter if you set it up that way.
Whats that car comerical--->Zoom Zoom

The old Toshi would just be closing it's door in that 4-second time frame...:)

Cheers
Geoff

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks