DVD component connect vs HD upconversion for DVD

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by RichAS, Mar 29, 2005.

1. RichAS

RichAS Auditioning

Ok Here is the question. I am getting a rear projection TV - over 50 inches - either LCD from Sony or Lcos from JVC.

I have an HD Satellite receiver from Dish network - model 811. I have a philips DVD player dvp642.

I want to know which is the best connection for my DVD player so I can get the max best picture for my DVD movies.

My options are: (not sure which one is better)
    1) Connect using component video connectors to TV and use progressive scan settings or

2) Connect DVD player using RCA connections to video1 input on back of HD Satelite receiver which according to specs does video upconversion to HD. Then connect receiver using component cables to TV and I assume DVD will play with TV at HD setting.

Any ideas would be much appreciated.

2. DanHal

DanHal Stunt Coordinator

Rich,

Well, the answers are really dependant on all the devices you have hooked up. Once you get your television, I would just try both ways and see what looks best to you.

I would think that component video would look better than an upconverted RCA signal, but I would just try it out and see what happens.

3. John S

John S Producer

By RCA Conections, you mean 3RCA Connection Component Video right?

Well, I want you to try that if so. That would be a cool feature for any given HD Tuner to have in my book. Built in scaler. Hmmmm Pretty neat, you have got to try it. [​IMG]

4. RichAS

RichAS Auditioning

John

yes I meant to say composite RCA connectors on back of Dish HD satellite receiver - thats where I connect my Philips DVD player which allows for video upconversion to HD of my DVD players signal.

I know there are no HD DVD movies yet, but was trying to figure out if progressive scan using a Component video connection would give me better picture than a Composite video connection thats upconverted to HD?

When I get the TV I will let you know.

5. John S

John S Producer

Well bummer.. The connection to the Sat is truly one line Composite? This will suck I am sure of it.

6. RichAS

RichAS Auditioning

John

No sure what you mean with "one line composite" connection from DVD to back of Sat HD receiver. I have 3 Composite lines going from back of DVD receiver (typical red/white/yellow) to back of HD Sat receiver which is suppose to do video upconversion.

The question is this I guess:
    Is 480p (progrtessive scan DVD) better than whatever you get when you upconvert composite video to HD (perhaps 1080i becuase I doubt I would get 720p)?

Does anyone know?

7. John S

John S Producer

Ok, That video is called Component video.

Composite is a single RCA connection and offers lowest quality commonly used for Video interconnections.

If it is converting your 480p from your DVD player to 720p and/or 1080i, I'd have to give that a shot.

Pretty cool, a built in scaler. Will it also scale Svideo connections?