What's new

JVC Rear Projection? Upscaler better than progressive? (1 Viewer)

CraigK

Stunt Coordinator
Hey...

I have a 48" JVC I-Art Rear projection 16:9 tv which apparently boasts that it "upconverts" all images to 1080i.

Question, if my tv already does this, will the images be better than what I can get out of a progressive scan DVD player? I have tried both and they both seem equal.

Thanks in advance.

Jon_Gregory

Stunt Coordinator
You will probably not see that much of a difference until you get into the higher end DVD players. I have found that the less expensive progressive scan DVD players on my RP don't look much better either. But I did barrow a friends Panasonic XP30 and the picture was much better than my regular interlaced DVD player. It typically is said that it is better to have the DVD player do the progressive scan image rather than TV. My tv does not up convert to 1080i, mine just has the line-doubler. It does a great job for me right now until I have the money to upgrade my DVD player to something significantly better. My advice is to not upgrade to one of the cheaper progressive units and wait till you can afford something like the new Denon players or a panny xp30 off of ebay or something.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
This line of discussion is a little more involved than the typical Basics area-type question, hence its move to here.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks