What's new

JVC AV-27s33 32" Calibration (1 Viewer)

shigella

Auditioning
Real Name
Rae
Help!

I've been reading and reading and reading all your posts and I feel so overwhelmed. I can't even figure out how to get to the service page to reconfigure my tv. I bought the JVC AV-27s33 from a stranger. Kind of like a yard sale type thing. She said it was about 6 years old, so I'm thinking somewhere around 2002-2003 model or close to that.

When it was plugged into her cable it looked great and I thought this was a great deal. Well, the first day I had it plugged in at my house with a converter box (I don't have cable) it looked okay but like all of you, it had a greenish tint. After fiddling with the very basic controls and looking at the users guide, my problem only got worse. Now it is dark and green and ready for a junk pile.

In my desperation, I searched endlessly on the internet for a solution. I have been to many sites but nothings working. I went to a calibration site and it says something about a "tune in" remote and blinking lights. My control doesn't have a green light. The tv control I have is very basic. No lights or what I would consider "special keys". It has an Input key, display,hyper sur. (which I'm thinking is something to do with surround sound), video status menu and v-chip. That is about it. It does have a vcr/dvd area for controlling such devices at the bottom, nothing more. I have pushed buttons with other buttons to see if anything would work, nothing. At this time I don't think I could do any worse than what it is now.

Now after all that, phew, can anyone help me just access the service menu in order to start calibration. I would get a service manual but don't drive at this time, so am unable to get to a store.

If anyone could just give a step-by-step tutorial on how to get to the service menu, I would so appreciate it. Can anyone help, or should I just give up. I have a feeling to take it to a technician would cost me more than what I paid for the TV. I really want this TV to work. I have had a 19" for so long. It was the only tv I could get into the house by myself.

Thank you for listening to the ramblings of a stressed out person.

THANK YOU ROBERT J.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif
I'm not sure which display area you were talking about but I hope this is it.

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

There's something called the internet ... you can buy things on it ...

Did you even do a basic calibration of the TV with a test disc yet?

regards

shigella

Auditioning
Real Name
Rae
Basic calibration with a test disk.... Would that involve a DVD player? If so, then no, I haven't done that. I don't have DVD player. I paid $50 dollars for the TV. That may have been to much. I don't know. When it was at her house it looked really good. Do I now have to buy a DVD player to do a test on the TV? On another page there were people with the same problems. They gave some calibration tips that they had performed, but none of them said how to get into the "service menu". They already knew how to get there.

I found some instructions on one site that said to, hit "Display and video status" simultaneously. Also did the sleep timer at "0" and while the sleep timer info still up hit the display and video status but nothing happened.

I'm trying not to spend more on this TV then it would have cost me to buy a new TV. It's not that I'm cheap, its that I just don't have the money.

If I spend 20 or so dollars on the book and it ends up being a parts problem then i'm out the money spent on a book that I could have spent on parts.

If the DVD way is the only way to fix it then I will just have to put the TV aside until I can afford to get a technician to fix it, or buy a book, DVD player and a service disk.

Thank you for the information you did give me. At least now I know what a mess I got myself into. :}

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

It's a little furry pig ... not a bunny.
Many people make that same mistake.

You will have to borrow a $26 dvd player from someone then to run the basic tests on the TV. Any THX branded dvd has a thing called the THX optimode which provides basic patterns to help in the basic set up of the tv. use it.

regards

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Accessing the service menu for a TV is not something that should be entered into lightly. It's quite easy for someone who doesn't know what they're doing to completely screw up the set and render it useless (that's why it's not easy to access in the first place). Service level adjustments should be left to the professionals.

I agree with Michael - borrow a DVD player and DVD with THX on the label (most of the Pixar movies have the THX optimizer, I believe) and see what results you can get following those instructions.

One other thought - you said the picture looked fine at the previous owner's house and they had a cable box, but you've got it hooked up through a converter box (a digital converter box, I assume?) and the picture looks terrible. The problem may be with the converter box. Are there any other inputs on the TV that you can try?

Either way, you should try and connect a different video source (DVD, game system, VCR) if only to determine that the problem is definitely with the set and not with something else.

shigella

Auditioning
Real Name
Rae
I've been looking around for the Avia DVD and the cost is so much, I could buy a new tv for that amount. Maybe I'm looking at the wrong one. The avia pro is $250-300 and up. I only paid $50 for the TV. I can't imagine paying 300dollars for a disk that may or may not be the issue. With DVD's they usually don't give you a refund after opening it. I just can't afford that.

Do you know of any other calibration dvd's that might do the trick and not cost me my life savings? :}

I would be more willing to get into the service menu and take my chances. At least I would only be out $50 rather than $350.

I appreciate all the help you have given me. I will keep looking for a Avia DVD in hopes I can find one that is used. You don't know of any borrowing programs where you can borrow the disk for a fee and then return it do you?

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
You don't need to get the pro version, Amazon has the standard version for $20 (Amazon.com: Avia II: Avia 2: Guide to Home Theater: Movies & TV)

Really, though, you probably don't NEED to buy a copy just yet. Here's a list of over 300 DVD titles that have the THX Optimizer as a special feature Find a THX Certified DVD Title (you'll need to click on "entire list" to see the movies). All you need is a friend with a DVD player and one of these titles.

Oh, and here's a link that describes the THX Optimizer and provides instructions (http://www.thx.com/home/dvd/optimizer/index.html)

shigella

Auditioning
Real Name
Rae
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Netflix just happens to have the Avia 2 disk so I sent for it and it should be here by Thursday. I've got my fingers crossed. The TV has a really good picture except for the minor flaw of green color. I'm so glad I found this site. For a girl I'm pretty good at hooking up my TV to the VCR/DVD and surround sound and progamming the remotes too, but I have never had this problem and have to admit it kicked my butt. Now if it ever happens again, I know what to do and/or where to come for expert information. Unless this doesn't work and in that case your all fired...hahahaha. Just kidding. You all have been just wonderful and helpful. I was ready to junk the TV or watch it green till I couldn't stand it anymore. I will let you know if this works. I hope you know, I really was kidding about the fired part. Some, are very serious about what they do (technical support) and by no means do am I trying to offend anyone. I work in an emergency room, so I understand serious (hence the explanation), but I also know how to make my rotten situation tolerable. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks