What's new

Just set up my buddies SVS sub, couple questions (1 Viewer)

Jim Carr

Stunt Coordinator
I have the smaller unpowered one... hooked to an amp.. SVS rocks! I just bought my buddy the middle sized one (25-pci) or somthing like that. it's the powered one. I'm a bit confused on the settings in the back (on the amp part of it)

First of all, 180 degree or 0 degree. What is that and what do they mean?

What should my MIN - MAX be set at? It's half way now, is that subjective?

The DISABLE or ENABLE crossover, what should I set that at? I'm hooking this to his Onkyo 898.

The crossover range.. I have it set at 70 now, is that right? We have sound.. and it sounds good.. but I don't think I have it calibrated right.

I would appreciate any help or advice?

thanks in advance guys!!!

Jim

Rob Rodier

Supporting Actor
I am not a sub expert but you probably want quick answers;

the 180/0 is the phase. Probably will not make an audible difference, but play with it and see. 0 is the default.

Min/max is subjective. I like to set it so the receiver can do mostr of the tweaking. halfway sounds about right.

Crossover disble/enable probably will not do anything if you have the subwoofer out via interconnect cables feeding the sub. If so, all of the crossing over is done via the receiver.

Again, I don't recall what dd/dts spec is set at but if you bump it up high it seems like you have nothing to loose. It can't reproduce signals it is not getting.

-rob

The 0 degree or 180 degree is the phase, usually doesn't affect the sound. The setting you should use if there is any difference is the one that produces a higher SPL. For the crossover setting you should set it to off (this will use the crossover in your reciever) just set the other speakers to small in the reciever. The crossover knob if the switch is set to off will have no affect on the sound. The gain knob should be set between 1/2 and 3/4 of the way up. the power switch I would set to auto off so it will come on when it detects a bass signal and go off when it has no activity.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks