What's new

Just got a region-free player. What are some of the best DVDs to check out? (1 Viewer)

Hendrik

Supporting Actor
...what's wrong with the 1.85:1 picture?
...well, the movie was originally shown at 2.35:1...
...the "Redux" reissue, supervised by the DP, was released in the DP's preferred 2:1 format (he calls it Univisium...
http://www.cinematographer.com/magaz...2C1210%2C25166|5%2C00.html
,,,that caused an uproar of sorts - on this and other Forums... (try a search)...
...and now they've whittled away even more of the original image...
. . . . . .

Mark_vdH

Screenwriter
Oscar, AN:R (the original AN too) was released in aprox. 2.35:1 in theaters.
The cinematographer, Storaro, decided that a 2.00:1 (I incorrectly mentioned 1:85:1) was a better aspect ratio for the HT experience. This topic has already been discussed extensively on this forum, for instance in the "Apocalypse Now Redux" Framing Page.
The bottom line is: do you want a movie that isn't in its OAR, but which DVD-AR has been approved by the film makers themselves?
Although I would have preferred an OAR transfer, this is good enough for me, as I have both AN and AN:R on DVD

Mark_vdH

Screenwriter
Oscar:
Ik wel....:)
Regarding AN: was the information helpful in the sense that you are now not gonna buy it, or will you?

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
Mark
I checked out the link you provided which was fantastic to follow a discussion on OAR. I guess you're never too old to learn. I have decided to buy Apocalypse Now Redux Fr V from www.dvdzone2.com
bedankt
:D

Mark_vdH

Screenwriter
I have decided to buy Apocalypse Now Redux Fr V from www.dvdzone2.com
Coincidence: I bought it there too....
To get back on topic: if you like classic movies, Wade, be sure to check out:
Rules Of The Game (French Release)
The African Queen (UK release)
The Magnificent Ambersons (French release)
These are not yet released in R1, and have good image quality and supplements.

JohnAD

Senior HTF Member
Wade, I just got done watching Kairo (Circuit), which is Japanese R2 (NTSC). Way cool movie.

John.

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter
The Magnificent Ambersons has reasonable quality, given it was apparently taken from an NTSC laserdisc.
Some truly great R2 discs:
The Ninth Configuration Special Edition
Brass Eye - a truly brilliant comedy series
All That Jazz Special Edition
The Long Good Friday Special Edition
Salo - if you're in the mood for it, I consider the BFI disc quite an improvement on the Criterion, although still lacking in the transfer department
Nosferatu - the BFI restored version with the James Bernard score; quite simply the definitive version of the film
and finally, my personal favourites, the British Film Institute's Archive Television range - a line that rivals the Criterion Collection for quality of feature, transfer and supplements - more info

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
Jon
Thanks for the link to the BFI and I could not resist to throw in this link of John Ford's Silent classic The Iron Horse out on monday which I am anxiously waiting for after watching She Wore a Yellow Ribbon. A true classic and the best thing about this German release is an hour long interview with John Ford himself from 1968 and the movie itself ofcourse.
http://www.bfi.org.uk/bookvid/videos...rse/index.html
Oscar Merkx
;)

Mark_vdH

Screenwriter
Jon,
I forgot Nosferatu (bought it thanks to your advice).
One question (again ;) ) about Salo (and possibly also Yojimbo - BFI):
Do the BFI non-anamorphic discs have the subtitles placed correctly for 16:9 tv's?
Because if they are placed in the "black bar area", the only way I can watch it properly is window-boxed....
OT: BTW Jon, I noticed a discussion on the (reportedly bad) transfer quality of The Royal Tenenbaums. Since I also noticed that you have it in your collection (according to your profiler), can you also shed some light on that topic too?

TheoGB

Screenwriter
Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery from Australia - slightly different edit of the film with a few extra scenes and different bonus features.
Well it's also in the 2.35:1 OAR outside R1? I understood that R1 Austin Powers was released at 1.85:1, but I don't know if that's an open matte or cropped release...

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter
Hi Mark!

Yes, everything about SALO is 16:9 friendly, despite being non-anamorphic - even the menus and text supplements are framed at 1.85:1, I kid you not!

As for Tenenbaums, I simply put it in the wrong area of my profiler - it's still on order - though I hope to have it by the end of this week.

Mark_vdH

Screenwriter
Thanks Jon :).
I recently purchased the French version of King Kong ('33) -thanks for the advice Hendrik- , and from what I have seen it looks reasonable (I can't compare it to the UK release though).

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
Just finished watching The Iron Horse, the silent classic from John Ford. For a 2 hour hour silent film it does not feel like 2 hours, there is even an intermission included about halfway. A great story about the expansion of the railways in the US and the tinted colors are very impressive for a movie that came out in 1925. The restoration was done by Kevin Brownlow for Photoplay Productions in cooperation with Channel Four. In case Kevin is reading this thank you for a job well don.
Here is a link to a discussion about the Iron Horse and other silent classics,
http://217.33.154.203/forums/showthr...26#post1108526
Oscar Merkx
:emoji_thumbsup:

LennyP

Supporting Actor
I've had that N996 for over a year, a golden grail it is indeed, I love it.
You should check out Japanese R2 NTSC dvds, full season of Total Recall 2070 on 4 volumes 6/5/5/6 episodes each respectively and if you like Dark Angel, first season available in two boxsets with a pilot separately but there is a slot for it in the first box, as well as second season coming out this September, I got it on pre-order, I love it, great quality.
Impostor, I think original theatrical cut, not the dir's cut coming out in R1 is available in Japan since february, and in DTS.
They also got Ally McBeal seasons 1 through 3, but get season 1 from Australia, cheaper, seasons 2 and 3 from Japan and the 4th one also extremely cheap is available in UK.
I don't like ER but 5 seasons already out in Japan. They also got Third Watch and a bunch of other stuff.

Don't forget Stargate SG-1 up to the middle of season 5 and Farscape up to the middle of season 3 in UK as well as half a first season of Andromeda (though not in OAR).
West Wing and CSI also coming out, don't like them either plus CSI isn't in WS but you might want to try them.

Rowan Atkinson's Thin Blue Line show is available in UK as well, and Stallone's long delayed D-Tox as well as Kevin Spacey's Ordinary Decent Criminal.
A bunch of others, but just browse/search through Bensonsworld.co.uk, free delivery worldwide.

Kevin Matthews

Stunt Coordinator
Austin Powers was filmed in Super-35 and the director decided to open the image up a little for 16:9.
So I've heard.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks