Just got a region-free player. What are some of the best DVDs to check out?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Wade K, May 23, 2002.

1. Wade K

Wade K Second Unit

Just ordered a Malata N996, mostly for Britcoms and some Australian music releases, but wanted to know what are some of the other "greats" I should know about from around the globe. Thanks.

(oops, my title says "got" instead of ordered. I guess I'm a little excited.)

2. Gunnar Syren

Gunnar Syren Stunt Coordinator

Definitely check out Hong Kong Legends (UK). Their releases of Hong Kong classics are almost always outstanding.
    If you want to sample just one, I'd suggest Police Story with Jackie Chan.

3. Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming Producer

Yee Ming Lim
    basically, there's a lot of US TV series already available in R2 from UK, e.g. Friends, West Wing. so if you want Friends S7 or first bits of S8 now, you can get them from the UK. and Battlestar Galactica comes out in June in R4.
    if you're looking specifically for Brit sitcoms, some classics are Absolutely Fabulous, Men Behaving Badly (7-disc complete set available in R4, not sure about R2), Yes Minister, and a new sitcom Coupling which I find hilarious.
    ironically, Blackadder, which is one of my all-time favs, comes in an R1 set which is better than the R2 version... go figure.
    R4 also has the Secret Policeman's Ball series of benefit concerts (in support of Amnesty International) which are very entertaining, although the video quality is appalling. have a look at www.michaeldvd.com.au for reviews of R4 discs, or try buying from www.ezydvd.com.au

4. YANG

YANG Second Unit

From R4,there are numbers of releases which is not available from R1 releases...such as DTS releases of ENEMY AT THE GATE,DUNGEONS AND DRAGONS,DRIVEN,THIRTEEN DAYS,LITTLE NICKY and others more.
    Not all R2 releases are worth persuing for,especially titles that are edited/trimmed down by the BBFC or the distributor.This will cause the same title released in AUSTRALIA be edited too due to the use of same master.More infos can be found at www.ukdvdcuts.co.uk
    Most R3 releases are in NTSC format,take note.Discs from HONGKONG,most chinese titles are multi-coded.Most foreign films and hollywood productions are R3 coded.More infos can be found at www.asiandvdguide.com

5. KarenDB

KarenDB Auditioning

Glad to hear you are getting the Malata N-966. I tried to get that one and found it had been discontinued so I have their replacement model ordered, the DV-520. Supposed to be identical to the N-966 except in a slimmer chassis. Hopefully it will ship to me from Canada next week.

6. Chris Xolotl

Chris Xolotl Second Unit

Nah get the good stuff R2.

The A-Team, Bionic Woman, Incredible Hulk, Knight Rider!!

Hee.

Also, the Montreaux Jazz Festival w/ B.B. King workshop is awesome. (The back of the box says R2,3,4,5,6). Now that's funny!!

7. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

If you like classic horror, there's a very nice disc of Witchfinder General in R2.

The Prisoner set from R2 is fewer discs & takes up less space and was much cheaper (though the A&E set may be less expensive now)

Queen Margot is an intriguing and dense epic drama in R2.

Ring and Ring 2 are highly disturbing Japanese horror uncut in R2.

If you want a good transfer on Jean de Florette and Manon of the Spring, badly botched in the US, R2 is the place to look.

Dario Argento's most recent, Sleepless (Non ho sonno) is available in nice editions in both Italy & the UK--the US version is crap.

South Park was the big trigger for me, but Warner apparently is going to issue that one by seasons here finally (I'll believe it when I see it).

8. Derek Miner

Derek Miner Screenwriter

My first two non-region 1 perchases were:

Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery from Australia - slightly different edit of the film with a few extra scenes and different bonus features.

Family Guy: Season One from the UK - One of the funniest shows (formerly) on TV, but no sign of being released here in the US.

9. MartEvans

MartEvans Stunt Coordinator

If you want Britcoms then get the first two series of SPACED or BLACK BOOKS. These two IMO are the best comedies to come out of the UK since Father Ted.

10. Wade K

Wade K Second Unit

Thanks for the suggestions. Ended up having the N996 cancelled, so I picked up the JVC XVS500BK since it does prog scan as well as PAL->NTSC conversion. Already ordered The Thin Blue Line mostly for Rowan Atkinson. I'll have to check out the others.

11. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Malata N996 DOES do Progressive Scan

12. Wade K

Wade K Second Unit

Not cancelled by me, but by the supplier.

13. Chris Dugger

Chris Dugger Supporting Actor

The Malata 996 is being replaced with :

MALATA DVD-520
    PROGRESSIVE SCAN
    DISPLAYS 16X9 PAL DVDS IN WIDESCREN
    PLAYS ALL REGION CODES
    PAL/NTSC CONVERTER
    110 - 240 VOLT

It is basically the same unit but beefed up at tad...

It becomes available on May 28, I believe.

As the proud owner of 2 Malatas... I believe this player will be my 3rd.

Dugger

14. Marc Alexander

Marc Alexander Stunt Coordinator

beefed up how?

15. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
    My multi-region player arrived too (go figure, for someone living in R2!) - the Toshiba SD-2006, problem-less in use since July 1997, now goes to the bedroom.
    I chose the Pioneer DV-444-K ("K" for black, there's also an "S" for silver, but this one goes nice with my Pioneer decoder). It's housed in one of those new slim cases.
    DVD prices over here are high, so it will still be possible to import mainly from the US. I prefer that in most cases, because of the proper film speed and the generally excellent quality.
    But thanks for some good tips in this thread - Yes Minister being one, while The Witchfinder General and Queen Margot being some of my (granted, many) favourites too! (Already received the R2 versions of Jean de Florette and Manon des Sources).
    Mark, do you know if the American version of The Witchfinder (The Conqueror Worm) also differs in other aspects than the title alone, e.g. have a different cut?
    Cees
    (Sorry, Wade, I'm not trying to hijack your thread, just believed it would make less sense to start another one. [​IMG]
    C.)

16. Tomoko Noguchi

Tomoko Noguchi Second Unit

I hear Final Countdown in Australia is 16x9. I ordered it. I also ordered The Great Escape.

Another great one from Australia is Blood Oath. I think it is the only place to get that movie.

17. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

http://www.dvdzone2.com/cgi-bin/en/O...ch&search=4807
    this is the French Apocalypse Now Redux 2 disc set which is supposed to have an audio commentary from the producer, plus footage from Canness 1979 & 2002.
    I have just ordered this one and will find out if there is a commentary on this. Can anyone confirm this as well.
    Oscar Merkx

18. Hendrik

Hendrik Supporting Actor

...and... tataaa!... the transfer is... a nice, widescreen-TV-filling 1.85:1 ... if that's indeed the case: no sale (for me! for me!)!
    (just MNSHO, of course!)
    http://www.dvdfr.com/dvd/fiche.php3?id=5038
    . . . [​IMG] . . .

19. Mark_vdH

Mark_vdH Screenwriter

20. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

Mark / Hendrik

Thanks for the info

what is wrong with 1:85:1 picture ?

I am curious though