What's new

Just Getting Started - I need your help (1 Viewer)

Mark.D

Agent
Hi Y'all,

I've been a member for a while now... our house plans got put on hold for a spell when I had a stroke 2 years ago... I'm better now, complete recovery.

A lot has changed since I started asking questions 2 years ago...

We're building a 7000 sq ft. home right now... I know that sounds big, but half of that is in the basement that will be finished.

Anyway, I have two HT stores competing for my business...

1) Epson LCD projector and screen: $4200
Monitor Audio (silver package): $3500
Integra DVD player + Receiver: $2000
Remote: $1000

2) Infocus 7210 DLP + Screen:
Jamo Speakers:
Harmon Kardon DVD player + Receiver:
Remote:
Total: $10,000

I told both of these guys my budget was $10,000 for all the hardware...

Which do you think would be better? DLP or LCD?

Any preference of Monitor Audio speakers over Jamo?

Lastly, I've been looking at the "Nemesis" chairs from 4seating.com.... what do you think of them? Any experience with this company?

The foundation walls are poured in concrete, the slab for the basement hasnt been poured yet... which is why I need to make some decisions in the next day or so, to run conduit below the chairs for the bass shakers, 110, RCA cables, etc...

Thanks,
Mark

Mark.D

Agent
I dont have the breakdown for the 2nd store yet... but they said they could keep me within my $10K budget.

Here's a Pic of the Nemesis seating... 1 row of 4, $3299.

I'm not looking for superior audiophonics... I just want to play StarWars and have it rock...

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Mark, you're asking for advice regarding two complete systems and further purchasing recommendations. Do not ask that sort of stuff in the Basics area; that section is for general discussion at the beginner level only. For hardware recommendations, go to the appropriate hardware-related section.

Finally, I have to ask: You like motorcycles? Specifically, Italian motorcycles?

Mark.D

Agent
Thanks Jack, I'll redirect my question there...

Can you say desmoquattro? As in 748 with CF termignoni pipes :)

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
Mark

Complete recovery is wonderful! Now, I am going to offer up some opinions that relate to your 2 choices as well as some other comments.

Jamo is not a very popular brand. If you ever decided to change speakers, the resale on them is not good. Monitor audio, well, between them and Jamo, get Monitor, (unless you can demo the Jamo and really like them).

It's too bad you are tied in to these 2 stores. You are very limited in your selection. According to more than a few people, the projector of choice for around $3,000 is the Sony VPLH S51. Lots of good speakers at your budget. Don't forget that really good subwoofers can make a very dramatic difference, especially if you want that room to rock. Neither Monitor nor Jamo comes up on anyones list of kick ass subs.

You should not spend more than $150 on a DVD player. You need a powerful receiver. The Integra 7.4 is pretty good, the Harman Kardon AVR-7300 is more powerful and also has Logic 7 built in. Logic 7 is a pretty nifty thing to have (along with ProLogic IIx) for the best in 7 channel cinema.

I just wish I could put a system together for you. Since you are going to go with one of these 2 stores, I would just reiterate, spending more than $150 on a DVD player is a waste. Also, I would hold off on a $1,000 remote. 10% percent of your budget on a remote is pretty far out of line. You would be much better off putting that $1,000 into some really good subwoofers and adding the fancy remote later on. You can get the HK AVR-7300 for $1,350. Excellent DVD player $150. Skip the $1,000 remote for now. That frees up $1,500. Scrapping the subwoofers from Jamo or Monitor Audio frees up another $1,000. For that $2,500 you can get some absolute monster subwoofing from SVS.

Have fun. You waited a long time to see this dream to come true.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks