What's new

just discovered Norah Jones.....this girl is fantastic!!! (1 Viewer)

mike_decock

Supporting Actor
The reason I ask is because I am considering jumping back into the vinyl world in lieu of getting the Sony 555ES.
I was faced with a similar choice. Software availability made up my mind for me. I don't know if SACD or DVD-A are here to stay but even if they stopped pressing vinyl today, there's more than enough vinyl available to make a turntable worth owning.
In addition to the very nice vinyl issues and reissues from the likes of Classic Records, you can pick up used vinyl really, really cheap. I've gone on Goodwill hauls and come back with 40 albums for less than $40. I challenge anyone to do that with SACD :D.
Heck, just asking around can score you free vinyl. One guy at work let me take what I wanted out of his collection since he was done copying everything to CD. Over 100 records for free!
I'm still playing the waiting game on hi-rez. I'd like to see some affordable SACD/DVD-A players from the smaller audiophile co's like Rotel and Adcom since I have an aversion to anything mass-market.
-Mike...

John Tillman

Supporting Actor
Back to Eva Cassidy for a moment. Steve Hoffman says he is about to start working on a SACD of Songbird for S&P records (no other details given).

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Could you expand on your comparisons of vinyl and SACD? Are you saying that a $1k turntable rig won't sound as good as a $1k SACD setup? I'm finding that hard to digest and just want to know what other equipment was involved in the shootout.
Yes, SACD beats $1K turntable any day of the week, particularly if you are including the cost of the cartridge. The reasons IMHO have to do with soundstage width and depth, high frequency clarity, and transient response.
The shootout was with Sony classical albums that were also pressed at 33 1/3 and 45s from Mike Hobson of Classic Records. The Sony SCD-1 was source played via two Pass Labs 350 watt amps (most recent model) and Pass X-1 preamplifier to Avalon Acoustic speakers with Kimber Select cable, power regulation, Kimber's new power cords and all the goodies. The LP system was a mid-level VPI (I think Hw-19) with JMW Memorial tonearm and Benz Ruby cartridge ($3K) for total rig price of around $15K for table.
The turntable produced slightly better soundstage and a bit more clarity and warmth (but in a good way). The Super Audio seemed to get transients right but sounded slightly less tonally right.
I have also done this with less expensive Rega and Music Hall turntables, but there Super Audio was far ahead or slightly ahead depending on recording.
:)

James D

Second Unit
I just stumbled across this thread and would like to recommend everyone checking out Patricia Barber. She is a great jazz singer and pianist. I particularly suggest the 1994 album Cafe Blue and the track, "Too Rich for My Blood". Truly awesome performance.:emoji_thumbsup:

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
John, the only Spyro Gyra disc I have right now is In Modern Times. I was always aware of Spyro Gyra, but I never bought any of their over the years for some reason. I will have to pick up some more of their albums.

Al B. C

Supporting Actor

I saw Norah in concert about 3 months ago here in Phoenix.

She put on a great show, but you can tell she's still a little wet behind the ears.

I hope that she will still be around in a few years when that voice grows into some really meaty material.

She could be really special by then.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
For those interested, Elusive Disc has the Norah Jones LP in stock for $26.99. It is highlighted in an e-mail newsletter I received from Elusive Disc today. Here is what Elusive Disc says of the album:

Norah Jones's debut on Blue Note is a mellow, acoustic pop affair with soul and country overtones, immaculately produced by the great Arif Mardin. This 22-year-old singer with tremendous vocal talent is dead-on cross between Diana Krall and Emmylou Harris blending intimations of Billie Holiday and Nina Simone without sounding like anyone but herself.

Jones is not quite a jazz singer, but she is joined by some highly regarded jazz talent: guitarists Adam Levy, Adam Rogers, Tony Scherr, Bill Frisell, and Kevin Breit; drummers Brian Blade, Dan Rieser, and Kenny Wolleson; organist Sam Yahel; accordionist Rob Burger; and violinist Jenny Scheinman.

She includes convincing readings of Hank Williams's "Cold Cold Heart," J.D. Loudermilk's "Turn Me On," and Hoagy Carmichael's "The Nearness of You." There's a touch of Rickie Lee Jones in Jones's voice, a touch of Bonnie Raitt in the arrangements; her youth and her piano skills could lead one to call her an Alicia Keys for grown-ups. While the mood of this record stagnates after a few songs, it does give a strong indication of Jones' alluring talents. Elusive Disc, Inc. highly recommends this LP!

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
Stumbled onto the thread...

I second the Patricia Barber recommendation, particularly Cafe Blue. Live at Blues Alley is my favorite Eva Cassidy recording, and a great starting point for anyone looking for an introduction.

--AM

mike_decock

Supporting Actor
I ordered the Norah Jones LP from Music Direct last night (along with Bjork - Debut, Sarah McLachlan - Touch and Dave Brubeck - Time Out). Can't wait to hear how they all sound.

-Mike...

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
I have not yet heard Norah Jones, but I may very well pick up the SACD. Ditto for Eva Cassidy.

Robert_eb

Supporting Actor
I just bought Come Away With Me by Norah Jones and I'm lisenting to it at this very moment. My first impression is that her voice is very soothing. She sounds similar to Edie Brickell. I'm looking forward to future releases from her.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Robert, I agree that the CD, and Norah's voice in particular, is very soothing. It's a definite winner. Now I'm waiting for the SACD.

Does anyone know if another Norah Jones album is in the works?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks