just discovered Norah Jones.....this girl is fantastic!!!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by KevinW, Oct 25, 2002.

1. KevinW

KevinW Stunt Coordinator

If you like sultry jazz, with a little soul and blues mixed in, then you've got to check her out.

2. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    Where ya been?
    We have been praising the album for a while. [​IMG]
    Want more good news - Blue Note will be releasing the Super Audio version soon.
    [​IMG]

3. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Looks like I need to check her out. I like sultry jazz with some blues mixed in.

4. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

I just like her on the cover [​IMG] :b

5. John Geelan

John Geelan Screenwriter

I'll wait and pick up the SACD. Wonder if it will be Multi?

6. Lin Park

Lin Park Second Unit

I'm not very impressed with her so far because I think the sultry jazz portion is very put on. Most of her current stuff sounds like the mic is in her mouth and about 1 mm from her tonsils. You can actually hear the air escaping from her throat in several songs. If you like Patricia Barber or Diana Krall, definitely give her a listen. But someone like Eva Cassidy or Rebecca Pigeon makes her look like a wanna be at this point.

Now, if she ever decides to sing with her everyday voice, I'll be the first one in line to buy that album because I think it will be wonderful. What this really boils down to is personal preference and I just don't enjoy this type of female jazz vocals. I think it's a shame that someone with her potential has to do something like this to set herself apart from all the other singers out there. Again, this is my two cents worth so please listen and decide for yourself. I'm just one voice in the crowd.

Cheers,
    Lin

7. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee

8. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Lin,

I appreciate your alternate viewpoint. I enjoy Diana Krall, so I suppose I will like Norah Jones. At this point in time, I have no Eva Cassidy in my collection. Care to make a recommendation? I very much enjoy Rebecca Pidgeon, but it would be nice if she would put out a new album, preferably on SACD.

Lee,

If you could, I would appreciate an Eva Cassidy recommendation from you as well.

NP: Spyro Gyra In Modern Times SACD (Why can't all recorded music sound this good?)

9. John Tillman

John Tillman Supporting Actor

I think she consciously wants to be different from Krall and other Jazz people. At least that what she said in a local radio interview in which few songs were performed. She seemed like a well adjusted girl who lived in NYC & Texas while growing up. Personally, I like her style and can't wait for more.

10. Marty M

Marty M Cinematographer

Hi Keith,

I'll jump in on Eva Cassidy recommendations. Her latest, Imagine is very good. I also own Time After Time and Live at Blues Alley.

Another female recommendation is Karrin Allyson's new CD, In Blue. She also has a nice voice.

11. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Marty, thanks for the suggestions. I've never heard of Karrin Allyson. What style of music does she fall under?

12. Lin Park

Lin Park Second Unit

Norah's voice is sexy but anything but natural at times. I didn't see the interview that John Tillman is speaking of but I would love to know how she sounded during it as compared to her voice in "The Nearness of You". My guess is that it was quite different.

Marty's recommendations are spot on for Eva. Her Songbird album is a sort a greatest hits compilation but she only has about 4 or 5 albums and they are all quite good. Unfortunately, she died of cancer in '96 at the age of 33 and was pretty much undiscovered at that point so we probably won't be getting much more on her.

I will defer to Lee on Norah's material being more genuine because most of Eva's songs were covers. But, what you'll find with Eva is that she can take any song, make it hers, and make you want to listen to it over and over again even though you've heard it done by several other people. It's as if she has the ability to sing a song as the original writer meant but just didn't have the ability to do it. And, she can sing jazz, blues, pop, ballads, rock, folk with all the appropriate nuances. That's talent we won't likely see again for quite some time.

I'm sure Norah will have a wonderful career but I hope at some point she stops trying to be conciously different and just sings with that beautiful voice of hers.

Lin

13. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee

14. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Lin,
    I was not aware that Eva Cassidy had died, and at just 33 years old. How terrible. [​IMG] Are her recording readily available? In other words, will I find her CDs at Best Buy or Circuit City? I assume I would find her under the jazz section.
    Lee,
    Thanks for the comments. Thus far, I have the Diana Krall The Look of Love, When I Look In Your Eyes, and Love Scenes CDs, and they all sound great. I love the music on all three as well. As a result, I am very glad to see Krall coming to SACD. I will have to get the Live in Paris CD, and possibly the DVD later on. I am also thinking of getting the Love Scenes DTS CD, but I am wondering if Universal will release it on SACD.

15. Lin Park

Lin Park Second Unit

I seem to find most of Eva's CD's in the Pop section at most any store that sells CD's (I've seen them at Best Buy, Circuit City, HMV, Virgin, etc.). 'Live at Blues Alley' was her first album and it is a real treat so I would start there if I were you. Her studio recordings are just fabulous. Let us know what you think when you get around to checking her out.

Lin

16. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Lin, thanks for the additional information. Much appreciated.

17. Marty M

Marty M Cinematographer

18. mike_decock

mike_decock Supporting Actor

19. mike_decock

mike_decock Supporting Actor

20. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

Keith, I concur with Mike about the "Live in Paris" DVD and CD. I'm taking the time to write this only because I see you intend to buy Krall's studio albums and then maybe the "Live in Paris" stuff. I'd recommend going the opposite route. The live stuff is much more involving and somewhat more jazz than pop (as compared to her studio efforts), and it really turned around my formerly mixed opinion of her. I really like her now, and I frequently turn to "Live in Paris"... but her studio albums still leave me a bit cold.

EDIT: Whoops! Completely misread your earlier post, Keith, so please disregard comments. :b