Just Did the Fidek Fix

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brett_A, Mar 17, 2001.

1. Brett_A

Brett_A Stunt Coordinator

For anyone who is contemplating buying these amps just because of fan noise this is the simplest thing to do and my amp is silent now. I haven't noticed any heat build up either. I ran through DTS Demo #5 at reference and it wasn't even warm. Then played several other DVDs and still cool. The fan noise didn't even bother me during movies but while listening to the radio it did so I opted for the fix and am now 100% happy [​IMG]
    ------------------
    Brett

2. Tony Richardson

Brett, you forgot to mention your fix!!!!

3. Glen_L

Glen_L Stunt Coordinator

[​IMG]

4. Brett_A

I thought everyone knew the "fix". I kinda alluded to it but I added a Zener diode to the positive wire on the fan which reduces its voltage and therefore the speed is reduced. It is almost silent now. HTH [​IMG]
    ------------------
    Brett

5. Bhagi Katbamna

Bhagi Katbamna Supporting Actor

Just curious, where did you get the DTS #5 from and what does it contain?
    Regards,

6. Brett_A

WHoops...I meant #4 but #5 was released at the CES show and contains Steely Dan, Gladiator, CHicken Run and some other stuff. It wasn't available resale. You can find copies on eBay though.
    ------------------
    Brett

7. Charles J P

Charles J P Cinematographer

CJ Paul
    No one is probably tracking this thread any more, but where can one of these diodes be purchased??? Rat Shack?? Part number???

Thanks all,

CJ

8. they are a fairly comment component. I think even radioshack has them.

Why not just use a resistor instead of a diode?...or for that matter a variable resistor...

9. Chris Sherman

Chris Sherman Second Unit

Radio shack does not have the correct zener needed . You'll want a 5 watt 12volt zener, www.digikey.com has them $1.20 part #IN5349BMSCT-ND. Installed mine yesterday works great. Point the white band around the diode away from the fan .

10. Charles J P

CJ Paul
    Is there a part from Radio Shack that will work? That www.digikey.com place wants $5.00 handeling for small orders. Seems kind of steep to pay $6.20 + S&H for a little diode. Also, I should ask, will this work on any 12V fan in any fan-cooled amp? I have an audio-source amp 5.3 with a noisy fan.

11. JasonWaddington

JasonWaddington Stunt Coordinator

I got a 12v 5w zener diode, but there is a problem. This is verrrry strange. I put the diode into the little white thingy where the red wire that comes from the fan plugs in. I then touch the red wire to the diode and the fan starts to go, and slower than before as planned. I then turn the unit off, and start it back up again with the red wire still touching the diode, but the fan doesnt start! it tries to, but doesnt! BUT, get this. If I then take the red wire away and put it back, IT GOES! Then I turn it off while it is going, turn it back on, same story. Are you guys sure your fans are going when you turn them on? I tried it MANY times, same result every time. What is the problem???

12. JasonWaddington

seriously guys, someone must have an idea...

13. Charles J P

CJ Paul
    I had the same problem. I ended up not putting the diode in, because the fan was so intermittent. I never made the correlation that you did that it doesnt seem to have enough startup juice, but that was probably the problem I was having. I was using an audio source amp 5.3

14. Bryan Michael

Bryan Michael Supporting Actor

the best way to get the drop os to take 2 restors and make a voltage drop you conect the red to between the restors and you conect the restors from postive to negitive very the restors and you varry the viltage

15. JasonWaddington

bryan. i didnt understand anything you just said