What's new

Just bought the paradigm cc studio what the average break in time......? (1 Viewer)

granite_g

Agent
Just purchased the paradigm studio cc. I bought this speaker based on all the great reviews and feedback from everybody on the forum. I was not impressed with the out of box performance. The sound effects and impact were excellent but voices sounded like they were muffled (like your were speaking with your hand over your mouth) I was previously using the monitor silver 10i center and felt the detail was much better with 10i (first impressions...?) I am hoping the studio cc opens up?
I am currently matching the studio cc with monitor silver 8is and have been trying to match the timbre. The speakers are being powered by the Sherwood new castle r-963. Any feed back would be greatly appreciated

James Bergeron

Supporting Actor
Do you have the speaker inside a cabinet of some sort?

The speaker should not sound muffled. Did you check the wiring, it will sound muffled if you are not running the tweeter, it is bi-wireable. Could it be possible that there is some wiring problem, maybe the jumpers aren't on?

The speaker will not change that dramatically that it will go from muffled to not muffled. I just purchased a set of Studio 40's and CC and they sounded excellent right out of the box. I won't start an argument about break in but I'm sure people will agree it won't be THAT much of a change that things will sound muffled at first.

Brian OK

Supporting Actor
Be patient.

I would make every effort to let them play (a lot,btw) for a couple of weeks before I would form any opinion either way.
I ran my CC and 40's for one month before I really sat down and "got critical". Now, after almost 3 months, I can say they sound just peachy.
Of course, I ran a "break-in" CD from AYRE Acoustics a few time during that period ... but that is neither here nor there.

Give them some time. BTW, mine out of the box were not muffled, just sluggish... no detail and slam that I hear now.

BOK

Chas_T

Supporting Actor
Give them some time. BTW, mine out of the box were not muffled, just sluggish... no detail and slam that I hear now.
Agreed with Brain's comment. However, I would address this issue with your dealer just in case the center might be defective, or you do not like the reproduction. I am sure you have/will check connections.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
are you also matching the cc with other paradigms and have you calibrated your system as well as worked on properly positioning the cc?

itai

Stunt Coordinator
break-in, another hoax if you ask me! the CC sounded amazingly good in the store, and from the first second, as Andrew said, in my home!!
sounds like wrong wiring or a bad tweeter, or a bad reciever.
its not a car, it doesnt need break in, and what are you suppossed to do anyway, run the system while youre out for work? :frowning: :)

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
The only break in is for placebo effect (or getting used to the new sound). Paradigm burns their speakers in at the factory.

Have you aimed the center towards the listener? These have a slight tilt so if you're placing the CC above the screen then you'll need to tilt it downward.

Why did you get the Paradigm CC when you already had the matching Monitor silver center? (it's best to match speaker lines for LCRs)

James Bergeron

Supporting Actor
If you think the Studio CC is going to sound THAT much different after months of break in your smoking something.

I opened the box, put out 4 40's and a CC and it sounded amazing. I agree they seem to sound better know, but I'd say I got use to the sound. Because I actually had a cosmetically bad speaker and took my sweet time getting a replacement (1 month) when I got the new one sealed in the box and took it home. It sounded no different than the other ones, it didn't have less punch or slam and it certainly wasn't muffled.

BobRoulier

Second Unit
The studio cc should sound awesome right out of the box! I had the b&w htm2 in my home for about two weeks and it was nice but when I heard the cc I said now that's what it should sound like, voices are very lifelike its just a great center channel I am very pleased with it too! I might suggest that you should have the same tweeter on the front soundstage I believe it makes a difference (front 3) The other possibility is that the cc requires a bit more power to make it sound better I have a parasound 2205 powering mine along with studio 100s. What is wpc on the sherwood? its something to look at check the sensitivity rating on both centers? Sorry to hear your not happy I honestly haven't heard to many unhappy paradigm owners:emoji_thumbsup: I have had bostons, mirage, B&w, klipch, and some others on my tv for auditions all top of the line centers and I fell the cc is a great package for the money or for any amount of money:D
Good luck Bob, ps and let us know what happens

David Berry

Stunt Coordinator
Granite,

Do check that the wiring is OK. As a last resort, if possible, bring in your CC to the dealer store and if they already have one hooked up, listen to that one first. Put yours in its place and critically listen. I also have the Studio CCv2 and I notice no muffle whatsoever.

Greg,

I did not realize that Paradigm burned in their speakers before shipping. I know Bryston does this with their amps (100 hours). Do you know what procedure they follow?

Phil_O

Stunt Coordinator
They don't break them in at the factory. That's why they tell you in the manual (at least for Monitors) they take *several hours* to break in before you should do any critical listening.

Duke

Stunt Coordinator
One thing that may cause the cc to sound that way is if you have it mounted very high up, the cc's front baffle is not at 90 degrees, it is tilled back some what. Try aiming it at your seat ans see if that helps.

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
The run the reference series through a series of tests to make sure it fits withing certain performance parameters. This effectively burns in the speaker. However, I don't have any details about what tests they run.

One other problem (as mentioned above) is the wiring. Make sure that you have them wired in the correct phase (reversed phase would sound just like you describe).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks